Blue Öyster Cult

*Limelight*

QUOTE (Steevo @ Apr 14 2011, 03:20 AM)
The live version of Last Days of May on the Long Day's Night DVD is absolutely jaw-dropping. It almost makes up for the ridiculous omission of Astronomy. I still need to nab Some Enchanted Evening to truly go off though trink38.gif

That was a weird release Steevo since Astronomy was on the CD release but not on the DVD while Last Days of May is on the DVD but not the CD That is also true about Flaming Telepaths not being on the CD. I need to learn how to extract audio from a DVD so I can put both of them together. I'm glad that that Rush doesn't do that.

Regarding Astronomy, BOC fans like to debate whether this version is better or the one on Some Enchanted Evening. Most people prefer SEE which I would assume because Joe and Albert were there. Both are great but I might actually prefer the LDN vesion since the Buck solo is a little longer.

More Buck = More Awesomeness

I'll be right in front of Buck in Las Vegas on 11/18. I hope he doesn't pee on me but I would have to take it just like if Geddy or Alex did it to me. laugh.gif

More love for the BOC guys, come on! I finally have the re-release of Some Enchanted Evening in me grubby mits, w00t

Well done Steevo! It's outstanding. It's too bad that the hurricane inteferred with the 40th anniversary show last week. They are playing again on Monday, 11/5. I really wish that I could attend since Albert, Joe, and Allen are all supposed to appear as special guests.

I've seen BOC a dozen or so times. They are one of my favorite bands. The first album gets a lot of play at my house. Also, Cultosaurus Erectus is a fantastic album. Ditto Mirrors...Gonna listen to BOC today.

Never one of my favourite bands, but loved the live album in the early/mid 80's - Some Enchanted Evening. Some of the recording was from a gig at Newcastle, but like a tit I didn'tgo. The only live album I've ever appeared on was Blackfoot's Highway Star, as part of the Howay the Lads at the end, but that's a different thread.

Back on track, I always liked the B-side to Reaper which was RU Ready to Rock.by BOC

I only have a greatest hits CD, which isn't great, but I'm always tempted to buy Secret Treaties (great cover of the band beside the Messerschmitt 262).

How can one band have two great names - BOC and Soft White Underbelly?

I only have a greatest hits CD, which isn't great, but I'm always tempted to buy Secret Treaties (great cover of the band beside the Messerschmitt 262).

They're much more than a hits band, do yourself a favour and check out the Martin Birch stuff, especially Fire of Unknown Origin. Classic stuff.

• Like 1

Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Blue Öyster Cult--unleashed in 1972, the eponymous debut album from America's heaviest psychedelic metal band presaged punk, thrash and hardcore--with the release of Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection, a monumental career-spanning BÖC library comprised of 16 CDs (the full official canon plus two discs of rarities) and the mythic Some OTHER Enchanted Evening DVD (a blistering concert video from 1978). The highly-collectible boxed set will be available Tuesday, October 30.

Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection brings together the group's 14 official Columbia Records albums--including newly-mastered editions of On Your Feet or on Your Knees, Fire of Unknown Origin, The RevÖlution by Night, Mirrors, CultÖsaurus Erectus, Extraterrestrial Live, Club Ninja and Imaginos--alongside two newly-curated bonus discs: Rarities and Radios Appear: The Best of the Broadcasts (a special collection of classic live performances).

In addition, the Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection box set comes with a special download code good for four live concert broadcasts as well as as a forty page booklet chock full of photos and liner notes from celebrated music writer and guitarist Lenny Kaye.

They're much more than a hits band, do yourself a favour and check out the Martin Birch stuff, especially Fire of Unknown Origin. Classic stuff.

I've got the first five albums (up to Spectres) and the live Some Enchanted Evening.

But if you specifically recommend Fire of Unknown Origin, then I may have to get that too...since we have a habit of liking a lot of the same stuff

I've got the first five albums (up to Spectres) and the live Some Enchanted Evening.

But if you specifically recommend Fire of Unknown Origin, then I may have to get that too...since we have a habit of liking a lot of the same stuff

Wow, you stopped there? Birch really infused the rock element but still retains the 'Cult quirk we're all familiar with, great blend. Give it a shot, I would be surprised if you disagree. Let me know. It's up on YT if you wanna sample.

Edited by Steevo

Wow, you stopped there? Birch really infused the rock element but still retains the 'Cult quirk we're all familiar with, great blend. Give it a shot, I would be surprised if you disagree. Let me know. It's up on YT if you wanna sample.

Well, I haven't actually stopped there. In fact I've only just really got Spectres and Some Enchanted Evening in the last month or so.

But I had noticed that that was as far as the expanded reissues seemed to go. Has there been no plan to do the same with the rest?

Well, I haven't actually stopped there. In fact I've only just really got Spectres and Some Enchanted Evening in the last month or so.

But I had noticed that that was as far as the expanded reissues seemed to go. Has there been no plan to do the same with the rest?

Ahh I see. Nope, no luck there I'm afraid.

Since the 40th anniversary show I've been on a huge BOC kick. Haven't listened to them for too long, I almost forgot how amazing they are! To think that Eric Bloom is almost 68 is amazing- the guy is still touring like crazy and kicking ass, and Buck is the most underrated guitar genius ever!!!!

Since the 40th anniversary show I've been on a huge BOC kick. Haven't listened to them for too long, I almost forgot how amazing they are! To think that Eric Bloom is almost 68 is amazing- the guy is still touring like crazy and kicking ass, and Buck is the most underrated guitar genius ever!!!!

My jaw continues to hit the ground watching Buck play The Last Days of May from that Long Day's Night show!! :o Yep, he's vastly underated! :notworthy:

Just gonna wait until they sell the remaining remasters seperately, I'm not a completist with the BOC thankfully.

Or wait till you can pick the whole thing up at a knockdown price.

Yeah there are some tempting goodies in there I know but there's just a couple more albums I really need.

Edited by Steevo

Martin Birch is GOD. Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

Martin Birch is GOD.

The man with the Midas touch!