End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me

CygnusX-1Bk2

Hope you all are using XP!

Microsoft website

End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me

July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.

Existing support documents and content, however, will continue to be available through the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Web site. This Web site will continue to host a wealth of previous How-to, Troubleshooting, and Configuration content for anyone who may need self-service.

Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

Customers who upgrade to Windows XP report improved security, richer functionality, and increased productivity.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 11 2006, 09:10 PM)
Providing assistance for ME must have cost them a fortune. It's the worst OS I've ever used.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jul 12 2006, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 11 2006, 09:10 PM)
Providing assistance for ME must have cost them a fortune. It's the worst OS I've ever used.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

http://www.bruceandtheresa.com/trf/WIN_LOGO.gif

QUOTE (DarthLen @ Jul 12 2006, 11:40 AM)
still have one 98SE box due to hardware (legal-sized scanner, wingman warrior joystick & 3DFX vid card) that will only work w/ 98...

all the other boxes run XP Pro tho... smile.gif

Not sure about drivers, but program compatibilty-mode works great in XP.

We have a program that will only run on 98 and if you run it in compatibility-mode it works great.

heh... I've tried all the end-arounds with these POS pieces of hardware...

Mustek scsi-card based legal-sized scanner that I bought back in '97 or so that still works like a charm (under 98SE);

Logitech Wingman Warrior joystick...

3DFX Video card w/ TV tuner...

Jampro pad...

it's all hardware that just simply isn't supported beyond 98SE... I still make good use of it all, so I keep a 98SE box around... No big deal, really. But I should prolly just sell everything out for scrap at this point... and prolly will by the time I get ready to move...

Archived