What did rush say the hardest song is to play

YYZ Working Man

When They recorded La Villa, they thought that they could never do that song live, because of how demanding it is, and i read in an interview that Alex Said he can now play that song while watching Tv....

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 4 2006, 09:13 PM)
When They recorded La Villa, they thought that they could never do that song live, because of how demanding it is, and i read in an interview that Alex Said he can now play that song while watching Tv....

I would hope so, since I do it all the time!

I know that "The Weapon" is difficult drum-wise for Neil; the odd time signature and all those accents falling in weird places. Neil has said of "The Weapon" - "If I play completely backwards and move my hands a few ways they don't normally go, I can do it." "Tom Sawyer" has also been called "a workout" for Neil on drums.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:53 AM)
I read or heard somewhere, Ged made mention of 'Turn The Page' being a challenge because the bassline and the vocals are very disconnected from each other.

Just about any bassline - by any band - is difficult to play while singing at the same time. It's easier to play drums and sing (and much easier to play guitar and sing) than to play bass and sing. A bassline often runs contrapuntally to the melody and/or vocal line of a song, so it's like walking forward while spitting backward.

Somewhere I have an article wherein Geddy, Chris Squire, and Will Lee all give advice on singing and playing bass at the same time. They all pretty much say the same thing: learn the bass part first, get it to where it's automatic, and then you only have to worry about the vocal part when it comes time to perform.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2006, 08:06 AM)
QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:53 AM)
I read or heard somewhere, Ged made mention of 'Turn The Page' being a challenge because the bassline and the vocals are very disconnected from each other.

Just about any bassline - by any band - is difficult to play while singing at the same time. It's easier to play drums and sing (and much easier to play guitar and sing) than to play bass and sing. A bassline often runs contrapuntally to the melody and/or vocal line of a song, so it's like walking forward while spitting backward.

Somewhere I have an article wherein Geddy, Chris Squire, and Will Lee all give advice on singing and playing bass at the same time. They all pretty much say the same thing: learn the bass part first, get it to where it's automatic, and then you only have to worry about the vocal part when it comes time to perform.

I remember one article where the interviewer quoted something to Geddy that someone else had said about him singing and playing bass at the same time, to the effect of "I don't know how he does it; he must have eyes in his chin." To which Geddy wisecracked, "No, they're in my nose!"

Seriously, though, I seem to remember him also saying "Available Light" was hard because it's written in a key that's almost too high for him to sing.

Hemispheres.

It was written in a key too high for Geddy to sing (even back then.) It has a lot of odd time changes and requires every member to play at top notch. It was so difficult to get right in the studio that they took their work from England and mixed it back home in Canada. (It might have been at Le Studio in Montreal, I'm not sure.)

It's length is also a challenge.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I've listened to live recordings of Hemispheres and they do an amazing job of playing the song. Its always cool to see pictures with Geddy and Alex both with double-neck guitars from that tour. The song sounds so challenging because of the mutiple riffs, time signatures, varing tones and effects. How can they remember those extended songs and how they go?

I`ve heard/read Neil say that Tom Sawyer was the most physically demanding song to play!!

Ya`ll take care

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 4 2006, 08:13 PM)

I read somewhere that they wanted to record La Villa all the way through, and it took them like 837254856352850371446 takes to play the whole thing correctly.

As a drummer, I can say that Tom Sawyer is a little tough to play. It's nothing too complex, but at that speed, with such a constant beat, yet very mixed and matched accents, bass and snare hits, and other crap, it ends up being a lot tougher than it sounds.

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Jul 9 2006, 06:37 PM)
I have heard that The Trees is very hard for Alex

I'd be real surprised if he said that. The Trees is a super-easy song on guitar.

QUOTE (JARG @ Jul 10 2006, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Jul 9 2006, 06:37 PM)
I have heard that The Trees is very hard for Alex

I'd be real surprised if he said that. The Trees is a super-easy song on guitar.

On the Rush In Rio DVD, watch The Trees in stereo, you can hear Alex mess up the beginning of his solo after the middle section. However, it's just the first note and the rest is flawless. It mostly sounds like his finger slipping of a string or something like that.

Tom Saywer is a work-out on the drums sure but NP looks very relaxed playing it always. The fills are tricky without a big kit

The trees - Alex looks comfy usually in that song -but it does have intricate tabs- (im not guitar player either-cant judge)

A song like Animate they all need to concentrate

QUOTE (azechiel @ Jul 10 2006, 03:23 AM)
As a drummer, I can say that Tom Sawyer is a little tough to play.  It's nothing too complex, but at that speed, with such a constant beat, yet very mixed and matched accents, bass and snare hits, and other crap, it ends up being a lot tougher than it sounds.

Yeah, the sixteenth notes on the hihat are what make it so demanding. If you were to play it with eighth notes, it would be manageable.

Archived