WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 20 2006, 06:12 PM)
Actually, there are people that like every Rush song. It is a point that some people think that those that do are blinded by misgivings or such. It is ok to like every song. There are some songs that stand out as a better song but someone can still enjoy every song by a group such as Limelight, Rob, & myself.

Are you saying that you like every Rush song equally including the solo projects, the various live recordings, etc.? I would absolutely classify that as "blind devotion."

You don't have to dislike anything (and I would include myself in that category), but surely, there must be some RUSH songs that you like, appreciate and enjoy far better than others. That is only natural and healthy.

QUOTE (momosdanceparty @ Jun 20 2006, 07:30 PM)
Actually, there are people that like every Rush song. It is a point that some people think that those that do are blinded by misgivings or such. It is ok to like every song. There are some songs that stand out as a better song but someone can still enjoy every song by a group such as Limelight, Rob, & myself.

Are you saying that you like every Rush song equally including the solo projects, the various live recordings, etc.? I would absolutely classify that as "blind devotion."

You don't have to dislike anything (and I would include myself in that category), but surely, there must be some RUSH songs that you like, appreciate and enjoy far better than others. That is only natural and healthy.

Well, that was my point. While I don't hate every song, for some songs I kinda have to be in the mood to listen to. It's not "blind devotion" I just like the songs. There are bands that you may like that I don't just as there are Rush songs that you don't like that I do. The point is that there are people that do like every Rush....Maybe not go wild everytime they hear it but still can enjoy it.

Again....this is the point I am making. While there are clearly people who really hate certain Rush songs, there are those who still enjoy all of them without a blind devotion...That was the point that I was trying to make. IT's not a pedestal, it's not the hero, it's not blind devotion, it's not anything except a subjective nature in which my pallette is whet. That is all.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 20 2006, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (momosdanceparty @ Jun 20 2006, 07:30 PM)

Well, that was my point. While I don't hate every song, for some songs I kinda have to be in the mood to listen to. It's not "blind devotion" I just like the songs. There are bands that you may like that I don't just as there are Rush songs that you don't like that I do. The point is that there are people that do like every Rush....Maybe not go wild everytime they hear it but still can enjoy it.

Again....this is the point I am making. While there are clearly people who really hate certain Rush songs, there are those who still enjoy all of them without a blind devotion...That was the point that I was trying to make. IT's not a pedestal, it's not the hero, it's not blind devotion, it's not anything except a subjective nature in which my pallette is whet. That is all.

I'll happily add myself to your "likes everything club," as long as I can be allowed to leave out Chemistry! Even Hemispheres, which I mentioned earlier in the thread, I can enjoy if I'm in the proper mood, if only for the musicianship.

I like Every song..some alot more then others and i dont include solo projects beacuse those arent Rush..those are solo projects..it seems like you guys think its a bad thing that i like every song..well im sorry sad.gif

QUOTE (momosdanceparty @ Jun 20 2006, 03:01 PM)
I doubt there is anyone that truly likes every single RUSH song (not even the band members themselves), but by the same line of thinking, it's a pretty far-fetched idea that any fan who believes they understand the band can  passionately HATE any one of their songs.

Hate is a very strong word, and yet, I think I could safely say that I hate a couple of Rush songs and one of their albums. I hate Roll the Bones, or more specifically the rap section - the rest of the song is great. I hate Dog Years, or more specifically some of the lyrics - the music is good. I hate most of VT - no qualifiers.

For me it's about PASSION. I could never understand when you ask people what music they like and they say nonchalantly, "Oh, I like everything." Not me. I'm truly passionate about music. I love it. I like it. I hate it. I'm ambivalent about it. It's just the way I am.

Regardless of anybody's opinion, there is an inherent quality to everything that RUSH has produced, and to label something as "shite" reveals much more about the reviewer than the music itself.  In most examples in this thread, it's painfully obvious that the listener hasn't been able to grow at the same pace as the band.

Or maybe someone like me, just doesn't generally like the direction the band has grown in. Don't you have any bands that you once loved whose later material has gone downhill? Is that you not growing with the band, or maybe the band, at least subjectively to you, isn't as good as they once were?

You could say that me calling something "shite" reveals more about me than the music, but it's just my passion about music speaking. I'm not a hateful person by any means, in fact I think of myself as a kind person, but when it comes to art, I am passionate.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 20 2006, 04:23 PM)
I guess Vapor Trails is one those love it or hate it albums. I love it. I may skip several songs, but as a whole I think it is saturated with emotion and feeling. I haven't seen the likes of that since Hold Your Fire.

Another thing...why do people put the quality cap at post-Hold Your Fire? I think honestly that Power Windows was a cold, generally mediocre album without feeling or spirit, and I think that Hold Your Fire was honestly too pretentious and cheesy for its own good (this is not to say that I don't enjoy multiple cuts from each, but I just mean overall). However, Presto presented human crises in a way that was clever, had hooks, and only rarely felt heavy-handed (*cough*superconductor*cough*).

I'm not saying that there aren't stellar songs on all three of those albums, but I think that Presto was as honest an album as we've ever gotten - at least, honesty that could be well-expressed in song and verse - from Rush, with only the possible exception of Grace Under Pressure. Roll the Bones was frank as well, but it was hit-and-miss with its overall effectiveness.

Bitchslapped is right Davey!

I too will NOT vote, shame on you all!

I love every Rush song, there are favorites of course. But I do NOT dislike any of their songs.

In every song they make I know they have tried very hard to stay true to themselves and their music (let alone blood, sweat and tears) and thats enough for me to love every song.

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 20 2006, 10:32 PM)
Bitchslapped is right Davey!

I too will NOT vote, shame on you all!

I love every Rush song, there are favorites of course. But I do NOT dislike any of their songs.

In every song they make I know they have tried very hard to stay true to themselves and their music (let alone blood, sweat and tears) and thats enough for me to love every song.

applaudit.gif

Sorry guys, Counterparts is one of my favorite albums!

Worst song? Yikes, something from Test For Echo......as much as I LOVE some of the songs (Time and Motion, Test, Driven...) some of the tracks are so forgettable...

I can't even remember the track listing.....

QUOTE (actionpact @ Jun 20 2006, 10:21 PM)
Sorry guys, Counterparts is one of my favorite albums!

Worst song? Yikes, something from Test For Echo......as much as I LOVE some of the songs (Time and Motion, Test, Driven...) some of the tracks are so forgettable...
I can't even remember the track listing.....

trink39.gif I love Counterparts, too!! I've only heard T4E a few times and I'm not a huge fan of it. Not for the lyrics, just the forgettability! There are not a lot of things memorable from it.

Another thing...why do people put the quality cap at post-Hold Your Fire? I think honestly that Power Windows was a cold, generally mediocre album without feeling or spirit, and I think that Hold Your Fire was honestly too pretentious and cheesy for its own good (this is not to say that I don't enjoy multiple cuts from each, but I just mean overall)

You're right about Power Windows, but I disagree about Hold Your Fire. I love that album and I think the lyrics are from the average person's perspective. I think it's a really warm, straightforward, but kind of relaxed album.

some of you people need trmendous bitchslappetry on yo' faces! Don't hate on Available light, it's a VERY good song. HYF-T4E has some of my favorite Rush music, almost all of it is great...Rivendell isn't as bad qas people say it is...virtuality is DECENT and it's a fun song to listen to. I like bravado(What's up with the RTB hating? it's a good album) And to that one person who sais something about not caring for rush's lyrics, you can get one of the first bitchslaps...but still...DON'T HATE ON HEMISPHERES....

now that my rant is over...rush songs I dislike:

Kid Gloves--Lame lyrics, cool music

Dog Years--Same as above

Countdown--I don't know why, I just dislike it

Marathon--meh

Cinderella man--no people, it's not good

I won't say Nobody's Hero, because I don't dislike that song as much as most people do...i'ts an allright song...

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 21 2006, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 21 2006, 01:23 AM)
maybe we can all just kind of say that no two people are going to agree on absolutely everything?

well said.

besides which if we did all agree on everything, this would be one imensly boring world, now wouldn't it?

not if we agreed that it wasn't

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Jun 20 2006, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 21 2006, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 21 2006, 01:23 AM)
maybe we can all just kind of say that no two people are going to agree on absolutely everything?

well said.

besides which if we did all agree on everything, this would be one imensly boring world, now wouldn't it?

not if we agreed that it wasn't

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Aren't we allowed to be Rush fans yet still dislike some of their lesser attempts at music? I have more Rush than anything else on my iPod, far more than anything else, but I'm not going to pretend that I venerate everything that they create.

Hi Bass; I like Prime Mover and especially Vital Signs on your list.  Good bass lines.  Everything else on your list can Caress My Balls.

Prime Mover is a good song. But it's one of those songs that make HYF too long!

Marathon--meh

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

It's like the best song ever!

I still haven't bought Vapor Trails and I have so plans of doing so.

I responded to post but did not vote.

Not to fond of the vote categories #4 Especially, tired of the conservative new catch phrase to explain anything wrong or evil with the world "LIBERAL" When it comes to wallowing in self importance the right wing wrote the book on it!

I know I'm treading dangerous ground but this is a obvious politically slanted comment. I wouldn't of brought this up if it wasen't there in the first place! WRONG PLACE ? YOU BETCHA!

(Besides it's never been proven what Neil's political affiliation is.)

I have this to say:

If "Anagram (For Mongo)", "Superconductor", and "Hand Over Fist" were exchanged with "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", and "Prime Mover", Presto would not even have competition with my other favorite, Moving Pictures, as my favorite Rush album yet.

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Jun 20 2006, 04:19 PM)
Im probably the only one who actually likes every song..aha

Not true, my friend. Right here. I can't think of a song by them I dislike.

And what's with all the hate for Tai Shan? That's my favorite off of Hold Your Fire, followed closely by Time Stand Still.

i guess the reason i CAN'T find a song i don't like is cause i (Rayzray) EDIT and re-mix everything i listen to.. i DON'T have such things as "Bad songs" or "Songs i hate";; even if i like part of a song;; i take the other parts out,, and listen to ONLY what i want to listen to..

i guess that's the great part of having MD and Hi-MD players and recorders (even an i-pod may do,, i guress)..

i really wish yous would edit your woo's away and be happier ppl..

that said;; i just cant stand the first DVD of Rush's new Replay x3;; they other two are ok;; but not great;; i fear that Rush may be all washed up;; they can't even re-make anything worth while..

so i go back and listen to my re-mix and re-fix of the (Rayzray Best Of Rush) and eat apple pie too..

if a body has something wrong with it;; a doctor takes it out;; if a recipe has something you din't like in it;; you leave it out;; if a song or group has anything i don't like in it;; i edit it out!!

QUOTE (rayzray @ Jun 21 2006, 03:50 AM)
i guess the reason i CAN'T find a song i don't like is cause i (Rayzray) EDIT and re-mix everything i listen to.. i DON'T have such things as "Bad songs" or "Songs i hate";; even if i like part of a song;; i take the other parts out,, and listen to ONLY what i want to listen to..
i guess that's the great part of having MD and Hi-MD players and recorders (even an i-pod may do,, i guress)..
i really wish yous would edit your woo's away and be happier ppl..

that said;; i just cant stand the first DVD of Rush's new Replay x3;; they other two are ok;; but not great;; i fear that Rush may be all washed up;; they can't even re-make anything worth while..

so i go back and listen to my re-mix and re-fix of the (Rayzray Best Of Rush) and eat apple pie too..

if a body has something wrong with it;; a doctor takes it out;; if a recipe has something you din't like in it;; you leave it out;; if a song or group has anything i don't like in it;; i edit it out!!

that's one way to do it, but then why listen to anything in particular, and not just take samples of everything and listen? guess I don't get it......but if it works for you, more power to you

QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Jun 20 2006, 10:24 PM)
Hi Bass; I like Prime Mover and especially Vital Signs on your list.  Good bass lines.  Everything else on your list can Caress My Balls.

Prime Mover is a good song. But it's one of those songs that make HYF too long!

ohmy.gif

Prime Mover might just be my favorite track on HYF. If you want to talk about what made the album too long, just snip High Water and Tai Shan off the end of that album, and you have a flawless, perfect album. Even still it's one of the great ones.

If you want to talk too long, VT at 67 minutes takes the cake.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2006, 10:50 PM)
i always thought that people who like every single rush song are SO fantaically in love with Rush that they just refuse, almost rebeliously to hate any song, and will make themselves listen and listen and listen until they force themselves to like it, but in reality there are albums and/or specific songs that they'll rarely play next to their other stuff.

In total agreement with you there Goober. You also allow me to bring up another very important point which is:

Why do people insist on viewing a band as an "all or nothing" package? Just because Rush have recorded some of the best stuff I have ever heard does not give them automatic pride of place in my music collection. They are only as good as their last recording,and as far as i am concerned I will judge each and every release they make by the same unbiased criteria- ie is it any f***ing good?

The truth of the matter is that some of their work is brilliant, some average, some poor, and some downright awful. I. along with anyone else am perfectly entitled to "cherry pick" what I like with no feelings of false loyalty to the "institution" of the band.

FWIW, songs that I actively despise

1.Cygnus X-1 - awful, amauterish schoolboy sci fi metal

2.Tai Shan - wtf

3.High Water - see above

4.The Pass - predictably boring teen angst, though the Oscar Wilde reference is ok

5.All of (Bog) Roll The Bones.

6. All of Cunterpants (except Cold Fire and Animate)

7.Virtuality - cheesy, buttock-clenchingly embarrasasing lyrics

8. The Colour of Shite

9.One Little Victory

10.Out of the Cradle

However, special mention must go to Freeze, which is probably the worst song I own by anyone never mind rush. Cringeworthy, cluttered, cut and pasted together with the most ill-fitting vocal melody I have ever heard.....very poor indeed.