WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

ranton.gif And nobody takes the name of LTTA! in vain... *grrrrrr* rage.gif rage.gif rage.gif Edited by what went wrong?

...and you people are Rush fans?!?!?

If you don't like the music and the lyrics being high concept, then what are you listening for? You do know what Rush is all about right?

Since when has Neil not been preachy, teachy, overreaching, too clever by half and way too intellectual for R&R? Isn't that what we love? Do we really need anagrams and deep symbolism like The Necromancer and TFOL? Yeah there are songs that I think he tried way to hard to be smart on, but I much prefer that to 'slow ride' or 'black betty'.

Even those few songs that are over my head lyrically, or are way too activist for me are musically captivating. Even the most gooey ballad (Tears has been mentioned) gets me with the melody and Ged's amazing vocals. There are only three or four songs in the entire collection that I skip. High Water and Tai Shan are the two that come to mind. Yeah, Rivendell is less than stellar, but I just can't resist the vocals. I think the ballads are some of Ged's best work.

Seems to me that some here might be better suited to Loverboy. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Nov 23 2006, 02:36 AM)
...and you people are Rush fans?!?!?

If you don't like the music and the lyrics being high concept, then what are you listening for? You do know what Rush is all about right?

Since when has Neil not been preachy, teachy, overreaching, too clever by half and way too intellectual for R&R? Isn't that what we love? Do we really need anagrams and deep symbolism like The Necromancer and TFOL? Yeah there are songs that I think he tried way to hard to be smart on, but I much prefer that to 'slow ride' or 'black betty'.

Even those few songs that are over my head lyrically, or are way too activist for me are musically captivating. Even the most gooey ballad (Tears has been mentioned) gets me with the melody and Ged's amazing vocals. There are only three or four songs in the entire collection that I skip. High Water and Tai Shan are the two that come to mind. Yeah, Rivendell is less than stellar, but I just can't resist the vocals. I think the ballads are some of Ged's best work.

Seems to me that some here might be better suited to Loverboy. tongue.gif

Loverboy a great pump rock cheesy band... z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Nov 24 2006, 02:23 AM)
Why the hell is everybody hating on Rivendell!? That's an amazing song!!!!!!!!

It is quite mediocre for 2.gif standards...

Well, you can't say that I'm bashing lyrics if I'm defending a song that doesn't have any...

However, this is the WORST song thread, so if you're not going to post in favor of the topic, then leave.

Edited by what went wrong?

I'll never understand why Rush left In The Mood in their setlist for so many years, especially as an encore. My God, why? confused13.gif

Need Some Love, Take A Friend, & Before And After aren't really good either. As for the lyrics, they are terrible, but I can't really blame Geddy & Alex. They were really young guys at the time and were most likely trying to garner a few hits with the love-babe lyrics.

I personally have never cared for Rivendell, I don't hate it, it's decent at best, but overall I just don't like it.

I actually really like the music for I Think I'm Going Bald. The lyrics are terrible though, how could Neil have come up with such tripe?

Madrigal also is pretty bad IMO. There's really nothing memorable about it.

I'll probably get bitched at for saying this but I've never understood all of the hype around Jacob's Ladder. The intro is nice, and the lyrics are good too, but around the 3:40 mark or whenever the music begins to slow down and that annoying synth line continually keeps coming in. Entre Nous & Different Strings really bore me too. For me, Freewill & Natural Science are easily the 2 best songs on Permanent Waves.

I'll post more here tomorrow if I get the chance.

This is a great idea for a topic, (well, talking about Rush songs we dislike is. "WORST Rush song EVER" might be taking it too far, heh) to be perfectly honest, but the way it was carried out on the first couple of pages (and the ridiculous poll options) made it seem like it was specifically designed to bash specific grudges against Rush and/or divide the fanbase.

I don't really HATE any songs by Rush, but there are several I don't like. I think it's unreasonable to assume that that's not at least somewhat true about everyone- it's just that every fan has a different amount of space between their "least favorites" and "favorites."

When I listen to a specific album, I very rarely skip songs I dislike, but when I'm listening to single tracks by Rush (or, more often, a lot of different bands shuffled together) they're obviously not my top choices.

I tried to think really hard about WHY I dislike the songs I dislike- sorry if I seem to get a little nitpicky. =(

This is kind of a long post, and there are more songs I'd like to talk about, but I'll stick with these four for now:

Tai Shan

This song definitely has a unique cultural sound while still staying true to the sound of "Hold Your Fire"- this makes it particularly calming and easy on the ears. There's nothing really wrong with that at all.

It also flows really well and paints a vivid picture lyrically.

Somehow, despite this, Neil's experience at Tai Shan just doesn't seem to translate well into a song. I can't really put my finger on why. =(

War Paint

Compared to the other tracks on this album, this song just seems really lukewarm. It's not upbeat, but it's not really reflective either- the magic of the "Presto" album (which I can't really describe, heh) that seems to reside in the other tracks just doesn't seem to be here.

It has a wonderful, clear message, but it just seems to drag on too much. The "painting the mirror black" part, in particular, just sounds too corny and almost nursery-rhymish.

Other than the universal theme, it doesn't really seem to me like a very interesting song.

Vapor Trail

I know there are a lot of people who consider it one of the strongest tracks on Vapor Trails, but it's not one of my favorites at all. Rush can make good "sad songs," but there's a difference between a sad song and a pointlessly depressing song. To me, this song is the band's only example of the latter.

There are two parts of the song that I love, and what makes me dislike the song so much is the fact that I don't like everything that connects them.

First of all, I really like the "horizon to horizon, memory written on the wind" part of the chorus, both lyrically and musically. It's one of the only times on the album, in my opinion, where Geddy's overlayered vocals are a help rather than a hindrance. I can't really come up with the word I'm looking for to describe the way they sound at this point, but they beautifully fit the mood of the chorus and the song in general.

My favorite line of the song is "Atmospheric phases make the transitory last," and this is the most uplifting, interesting lyric of the song to me. In fact, it's really the only line of the song that strikes me as having even a hint of optimism.

What bugs me about this, therefore, is that it seems like it's going to go further and lead to a "solution to the problem," so to speak, but instead is jarringly followed by "vaporize the memories that freeze the fading past."

Everything just seems to get more and more bleak from that point on, (the "horizon to horizon" part doesn't seem to resonate as well after that) even though the solo seems somewhat "optimistic." =(

I think I'd like the song a little bit better if it faded out, at the very latest, somewhere around the 4-minute mark.

The Stars Look Down

This is the other song from Vapor Trails that just can't seem to grow on me. I think the song starts off great, but it just seems to fall apart as it goes on. It's my least favorite song on the album.

I love the way it begins- it has such a cool intro. When Geddy starts singing, though, it seems like the vocals are just thrown in. However, they're also detatched- they don't really flow well with the music, and the music doesn't really flow well by itself. It's bearable, but nothing exceptional.

Then, though, when it gets to the questions that are all answered by "And the stars look down," Geddy's vocals are at, in my opinion, among the worst in the Rush library. (especially on "something you'd like me to do?")

The instrumentation throughout the song seems really muddy, but it's also faded really weirdly into the background. It's probably one of the best examples of the various weaknesses (which, to be fair, are often exaggerated) of the "Vapor Trails sound."

Edited by Blue Baby Dragon

QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 19 2006, 09:25 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs. All the songs here are notable for one of the following: "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay...
2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...
3) Open Secrets-Rush started losing me here...
4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...
5) Tai Shan-OMG...please, Neil, stop it.
6) High Water-Completely void of anything memorable.
7) Anagram (for Mongo)-Boredom is creeping in.
8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors. Its not 8th grade literature class.
9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.
10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds. Reverb anyone?
11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.
12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go? Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays. How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.
15) Neurotica-Very 90's. Very reverby. Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke. Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics.
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above. Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics.
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure. Would be less boring.
19) Alien Shore-Just lame.
20) The Speed of Love-Do I need to say anymore?
21) Double Agent-Amazingly, even worse than most of the above.
22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap. Nothing redeeming.
23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.
24) Half the World-Yuk. Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
25) Color of Right-Color of WRONG.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush? Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet. Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late. Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline.
30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

you are now my nemesis...

QUOTE (mortkort @ Nov 26 2006, 08:13 AM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay... 
2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...
4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...
8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.
9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.
10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?
11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.
12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go?  Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics. 
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics. 
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.
23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline. 
30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

What the hell?

How can someone call themselves a "Rush Fan", yet "hate" 30 songs from their catalog?

That's weird.

QUOTE (PriestOfSyrinx @ Nov 26 2006, 12:10 PM)
-Songs by other bands that 2.gif covered (except for Here Again)
-Beyond the Sun and the Moon

I haven't heard EVERY 2.gif song yet. I only have 168 and some of those are repeats from different live albums.

umm... Here Again isn't a cover song. And its Between Sun And Moon, not Beyond Sun And Moon laugh.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Nov 24 2006, 02:23 AM)
Why the hell is everybody hating on Rivendell!? That's an amazing song!!!!!!!!

It's a horribly embarrassing, folky tra la la la la ditty that makes me cringe and my face contort painfully and it sends frigid shivers down my spine which makes me dry heave...that's why...

It's the only Rush song that does this I should add...

QUOTE (mortkort @ Nov 26 2006, 02:17 PM)

I haven't heard EVERY 2.gif song yet. I only have 168 and some of those are repeats from different live albums.

umm... Here Again isn't a cover song. And its Between Sun And Moon, not Beyond Sun And Moon laugh.gif

Sorry I meant "Heart Full of Soul" not Here Again. I was looking at my "H" song titles. Heart Full of Soul is the only Rush cover song I like.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 26 2006, 10:41 AM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.
10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics. 
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics. 
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline. 

What the hell?

How can someone call themselves a "Rush Fan", yet "hate" 30 songs from their catalog?

That's weird.

yeah! I love every Rush song there is!

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 26 2006, 10:41 AM)

27) Totem-Pole smoker.

What the hell?

That's weird.

Cask is a guy who hasn't liked Rush since about 1983 that's how and he came to this forum to reminisce about the old days and bitch and complain about the newer stuff, very simple really...

*mutters* n00b.... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (PriestOfSyrinx @ Nov 26 2006, 02:50 PM)

Sorry I meant "Heart Full of Soul" not Here Again. I was looking at my "H" song titles. Heart Full of Soul is the only Rush cover song I like.

Ok dude trink39.gif

2.gif

Worst song is very hard for me to determine. This is because some of the weakest Rush material (a few songs off Roll the Bones and many songs off of VT) I simply haven't heard enough to be VERY familiar with them to the point that I could pick one out. Why is this? Because I refuse to torture myself by listening to weak songs over and over and over again to get to know them. wacko.gif

Some songs did spring to mind, but I had to disqualify them. I think some of the lyrics in Dog Years are unforgivable, but the song is kind of catchy otherwise. Roll The Bones I almost chose for the rap part that is beyond unforgivable, but the rest of the song rocks. No, it's definitely got to be one of the songs on RTB or VT that I've heard a few times and found unbearable, but I don't know if I'll ever get to know them enough to be well versed in each song. It's easier for me when an album only has one or two weak tracks as I'll tend to listen to those songs anyway, but when it's half or more of an album, I just don't have the patience for it... no.gif