WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 21 2006, 05:31 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2006, 10:50 PM)
i always thought that people who like every single rush song are SO fantaically in love with Rush that they just refuse, almost rebeliously to hate any song, and will make themselves listen and listen and listen until they force themselves to like it, but in reality there are albums and/or specific songs that they'll rarely play next to their other stuff. 

In total agreement with you there Goober. You also allow me to bring up another very important point which is:

Why do people insist on viewing a band as an "all or nothing" package? Just because Rush have recorded some of the best stuff I have ever heard does not give them automatic pride of place in my music collection. They are only as good as their last recording,and as far as i am concerned I will judge each and every release they make by the same unbiased criteria- ie is it any f***ing good?

The truth of the matter is that some of their work is brilliant, some average, some poor, and some downright awful. I. along with anyone else am perfectly entitled to "cherry pick" what I like with no feelings of false loyalty to the "institution" of the band.

FWIW, songs that I actively despise

1.Cygnus X-1 - awful, amauterish schoolboy sci fi metal

2.Tai Shan - wtf

3.High Water - see above

4.The Pass - predictably boring teen angst, though the Oscar Wilde reference is ok

5.All of (Bog) Roll The Bones.

6. All of Cunterpants (except Cold Fire and Animate)

7.Virtuality - cheesy, buttock-clenchingly embarrasasing lyrics

8. The Colour of Shite

9.One Little Victory

10.Out of the Cradle

However, special mention must go to Freeze, which is probably the worst song I own by anyone never mind rush. Cringeworthy, cluttered, cut and pasted together with the most ill-fitting vocal melody I have ever heard.....very poor indeed.

If nothing else, I must commend you on using the words "buttock-clenchingly" and "cringeworthy"!

z7shysterical.gif

common001.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 21 2006, 02:36 PM)
If nothing else, I must commend you on using the words "buttock-clenchingly" and "cringeworthy"!

z7shysterical.gif

common001.gif

Sometimes, ordinary English is simply not enough wink.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 21 2006, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2006, 10:50 PM)
i always thought that people who like every single rush song are SO fantaically in love with Rush that they just refuse, almost rebeliously to hate any song, and will make themselves listen and listen and listen until they force themselves to like it, but in reality there are albums and/or specific songs that they'll rarely play next to their other stuff. 

In total agreement with you there Goober. You also allow me to bring up another very important point which is:

Why do people insist on viewing a band as an "all or nothing" package? Just because Rush have recorded some of the best stuff I have ever heard does not give them automatic pride of place in my music collection. They are only as good as their last recording,and as far as i am concerned I will judge each and every release they make by the same unbiased criteria- ie is it any f***ing good?

The truth of the matter is that some of their work is brilliant, some average, some poor, and some downright awful. I. along with anyone else am perfectly entitled to "cherry pick" what I like with no feelings of false loyalty to the "institution" of the band.

FWIW, songs that I actively despise

1.Cygnus X-1 - awful, amauterish schoolboy sci fi metal

2.Tai Shan - wtf

3.High Water - see above

4.The Pass - predictably boring teen angst, though the Oscar Wilde reference is ok

5.All of (Bog) Roll The Bones.

6. All of Cunterpants (except Cold Fire and Animate)

7.Virtuality - cheesy, buttock-clenchingly embarrasasing lyrics

8. The Colour of Shite

9.One Little Victory

10.Out of the Cradle

However, special mention must go to Freeze, which is probably the worst song I own by anyone never mind rush. Cringeworthy, cluttered, cut and pasted together with the most ill-fitting vocal melody I have ever heard.....very poor indeed.

you're right about High Water and Out of the Cradle...for the rest... no.gif

Ultimately I like all Rush songs but I remember buying RTB and thinking that Dreamline was a good start, kind of reminiscent of Signals era, and then it went steadily down hill.

RTB is my leased favorite album so it took a while for me enjoy most of the songs, most notably 'You Bet Your Life'. wacko.gif

Like I said I like all of the them but here is a list of some of the songs that made me take a double-take on the first few listens:

Most of RTB, especially 'You Bet Your Life'

'Tai Shan'

Female parts in 'Time Stand Still'

'Superconductor'

Edited by skullchrist

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 21 2006, 05:58 AM)
If you want to talk too long, VT at 67 minutes takes the cake.

I don't understand why "Ghost Rider", "Out of the Cradle", and "Freeze" had to be on that album. If they hadn't been, and the production had been a little nicer, I would like it a lot more.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 21 2006, 12:57 AM)
Oh, my God!  ohmy.gif

It's as if The Rush Forum collided with the Counterparts message board.  ohmy.gif

unsure.gif

shit

carry on...  sarcasm.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Edited by LerxstLady

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay...

I disagree! KG kicks ass!

2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...

One of my favorite Rush songs! If only it were included on Replay X 3!

3) Open Secrets-Rush started losing me here...

Love it!

4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...

Kinda sucks, but nice drum solo!

5) Tai Shan-OMG...please, Neil, stop it.

Alex Lifeson & I agree! Yuck!

6) High Water-Completely void of anything memorable.

Sounds like an 80's version of something off Hemispheres to me!

7) Anagram (for Mongo)-Boredom is creeping in.

I agree!

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors. Its not 8th grade literature class.

I like his "red" songs! It's the color of Rush & my favorite color!

9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.

I like it...

10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds. Reverb anyone?

Like this one too!

11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.

LOVE it, but tired of it in concert!

12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go? Oh yeah, that's my point.

LOVE it!!!!!

13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays. How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...

One of the most lyrically catchy songs IMHO!

Wheel goes round

Landing on a twist of fate

Life redirected in ways unexpected

VERY catchy!

14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.

EXCELLENT song!

15) Neurotica-Very 90's. Very reverby. Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.

Kinda boring!

16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke. Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics.

One of my favorites!!!!

More later...

Al

• Like 1

It's a tie between "Speed of Love" and "Virtuality."

With SOL, I think it's the fact that I just have a problem with Rush tackling love songs (plus musically, it just plain annoys me).

Virtuality just sounds cheezy and dated. "Can you believe this whole interweb thing? It's amazing. You can put your 'message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."

Blech.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Jun 22 2006, 06:04 AM)
Virtuality just sounds cheezy and dated. "Can you believe this whole interweb thing? It's amazing. You can put your 'message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."

Blech.

Yeah, I agree, and the whole net-boy, net-girl thing also is pretty abysmal.

Countdown is a song that spoke to the times and kind of said "Can you believe this whole space technology thing? It's amazing.", but for whatever reason this song has held up just fine for 24 years. Yeah, the lyrics to Countdown are slightly cheesy, they always were, but it's like a nice brie or camembert, whereas the cheese in Virtuality is more like processed slices of American cheese. Blech.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 22 2006, 11:58 AM)
DOG YEARS (by a country mile)

I forgot to support why. Just don't like the lyrics or the lyrical melody. I know Peart's metaphor is light, but it comes across corny rather than clever....and the music, while much better than the lyrics, isn't enough to save me from the cringing that comes across my face listening to it.

QUOTE (GGOAT!!! @ Nov 18 2006, 06:22 PM)
Ever notice how Neil looks like Kevin Spacey now????

Hmm.....

No most people on here think he looks like Tom Hanks...

Spacey has that supercillious grin on his face too often and is too round-faced and short...

I LOVE Rivendell! It's one of my favorite songs. It's so calming. And I've never read Tolkien, so I'm not biased about this either. Rivendell is just a great song.

I also love the ENTIRE HYF album. Every song is great, stop hating. T4E is a great album, too.

As to my most hated Rush song, it'd have to go to In the Mood. It's so un-Rush like. I can't stand it.

QUOTE (Sangheili @ Nov 18 2006, 07:50 PM)
I LOVE Rivendell! It's one of my favorite songs. It's so calming. And I've never read Tolkien, so I'm not biased about this either. Rivendell is just a great song.

I also love the ENTIRE HYF album. Every song is great, stop hating. T4E is a great album, too.

As to my most hated Rush song, it'd have to go to In the Mood. It's so un-Rush like. I can't stand it.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Jun 22 2006, 12:15 PM)
Add Sweet Miracle to the list. Starts off ok, and has its moments throughout, but when Geddy first starts singing it is a little embarrassing.

That's a fab song mate, wait till I tell Lord Odin about you, he'll tie you to the rocks and wait for high tide...