Van Halen

Tom Sawyer

Like probably many of you, I go through phases, lately I have been mixing up the music I listen to again, (or still) and like a proverbial musical spin the bottle it land on different artist all the time. My main pool is, of course, Rush, then Pink Floyd, Yes, The Who, and dozens of others. Lately the bottle landed on Van Halen again.

I love the diversity of older stuff and newer stuff, really did Eddies's riffs, and have always like Hagar since way back in his Plain Jane and Trans Am days. (selected stuff from Montrose). Standing Hampton is a monumental achievement.

Anyway, when Sam joined in 1984 I was actually thrilled, since I had already liked him and his style, I thought it would take VH to the next level, and infact he did. In my opinion. 5150, OU812 are a couple of my favorite VH albums.

Now over the years I discussed and read a plethora of controversy regarding the "who's better Dave or Sammy" -- I've always thought, if I HAVE to choose, I gotta go with Sammy. I just think he is a better rock performer, writer, composer and has a better voice than Dave. After all, It was Sammy time when they had theri first #1 hit.

But as I have continued to listen to the VH catalog from 1978-1996 I have come to the conclusion that both Dave and Sam are great members in the band, that VH had a great sound with both of them, and whether I'm listening to Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Oh Pretty Woman, Summer Nights, Pound Cake or Can't Stop Lovin' You, it's all good stuff to me.

I resently purchased VH video hits one, of course it could be more, what couldn't from this genre? My main dissapointment was not getting the dreams (Blue Angels flying) video but rather live performance for an LA gig. (weak) but other than that for 13 bucks it's a nice trip down memory lane. When MTV videos were cool and rocked!

VH will always be in a second row with other behind the much better Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who, Yes, etc.... but they have held up to time, indeed, a good rock sound!

Here's the dichotomy/conundrum:

Vocal-wise, I think Sammy is better. But I prefer the earlier Dave years, because I think Eddie was better then. Since I listen to VH for the guitar much more than anything else, I've gotta go with their VH1-1984 output over their 5150-onward stuff.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 24 2006, 02:37 PM)
Van Halen yes.gif 1022.gif

Van Hagar no.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

though I do like a couple of Van Hagar tunes...

BTW awhile back there was a poll on Sammy vs. Dave

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...21&hl=van+halen

yes, I remember that -- sarcasm.gif

I was in the mere minority. doh.gif

But seeing the vids again (after all these years) of Panama and Jump and seeing how in love Roth was himself -- (was he looking into the camera or a mirror?) unsure.gif

Hagar is definitely a better singer technically than Roth, but he was not right for the band. Roth had the perfect voice, the perfect look, and the perfect prescense for VH, and when he left they turned into this incredibly sterile entirely-keyboard-driven pop band. And where the hell did Eddie go after 1984?

I think Van Halen with "Diamond Dave" was far better. I also think he was a better singer anyway. He's proven he can sing classic music whereas Hagar is just a plain 'ol hard rock singer.

i was nothing short of devestated when DLR left van halen and i refused wholeheartedly to buy any van hagar which i've stuck by to this day. admittedly, some of their songs are very good since i've heard the big hits, but to me it's just not right without dave. i respect that people dig him, but that's when i really lost interest in the band...

I thought VH went adult contemporary with Sammy. Some of that stuff was utter schlock, like When Love Walks In and When It's Love. I did like a few Van Hagar tunes okay, but that incarnation just does not compare to the DLR years. DLR made it all so fun. He was a real showman.

Sad to say that when Sammy and DLR toured together a few years ago, DLR was just pathetic. He couldn't remember lyrics, and he was wasted. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry, it was that bad. I get the impression that I need to go see Atomic Punks if I want to see the DLR era performed correctly. Sammy was Sammy. Whatever you thought Sammy was, that's what he was. Michael Anthony even showed up to play a few tunes with Sammy (but not Dave).

I saw VH when Sammy rejoined the band, also. It was a great time. They even did some of the old DLR era tunes (though it's still not the same). Little did I know that all the old problems the band had would resurface later on in the tour, and that would be it.

I didn't enjoy Eddie's sound as much with Hagar, either. Some of it was recycled, and a lot of it just didn't push the envelope like it did before. When it was time to come up with more cool material for the rest of the LA scene to copy, he didn't bother. Too bad for all involved, I say.

As far as I'm concerned, can't have a Van Halen thread without bringing up these guys:

www.theatomicpunks.com

After years of listening to years of Van Hagar, these got me back into early VH.

(I know, cover band) Don't knock them until you've heard them. The have an un-official endorsement from Van Halen and have even had Michael Anthony come up on stage and play with the band. Many here from Southern California may have heard of The Punks but if you ever get a chance to see them, DO!

ADULT CONTEMPORARY!!! yes.gif

Perfect King... i could never come up with a word for it, but that's it. They lost their balls when Hagar joined. I won't say there's not a couple songs I can stomach, I just got Best of Both Worlds and there's a few good tunes, but basically they became like a Fleetwood Mac kinda band with guys that USED to have balls.

I'll always admit that Hagar is a better singer (technically) and lyricist even (let's be real... VH lyrics are no brain busters no matter WHO sings them), but I LOVED Diamond Day VH and basically didn't even give Van Hagar the time of day.

I wonder if the VanAsshole brothers could ever put their egos aside long enough to admit that DAVE made them... is it still possible for a worthwhile reunion? Or is it something that can never be recaptured?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 24 2006, 07:19 PM)
ADULT CONTEMPORARY!!! yes.gif

Perfect King... i could never come up with a word for it, but that's it. They lost their balls when Hagar joined. I won't say there's not a couple songs I can stomach, I just got Best of Both Worlds and there's a few good tunes, but basically they became like a Fleetwood Mac kinda band with guys that USED to have balls.

I'll always admit that Hagar is a better singer (technically) and lyricist even (let's be real... VH lyrics are no brain busters no matter WHO sings them), but I LOVED Diamond Day VH and basically didn't even give Van Hagar the time of day.

I wonder if the VanAsshole brothers could ever put their egos aside long enough to admit that DAVE made them... is it still possible for a worthwhile reunion? Or is it something that can never be recaptured?

I'm not holding my breath for that reunion. I think the Atomic Punks are our best shot at seeing what it once was. A number of my friends here have also recommended I see them. One of these days the timing will be there for me to see them.

Van Halen ll is still one of the greatest rock albums of all time! The DLR days were great, All of them, but the Sammy days were great as well.

5150 and OU812 were amazing records.

I saw VH with DLR a total of 11 times and saw them with Sammy a total of 8 times. The Sammy concerts were much better performances, as far as musicality and sound. But the DLR shows had that 'raw drunkeness' that made them classic!

QUOTE (rattler2004 @ May 24 2006, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 24 2006, 07:36 PM)
A reunion would never happen. And if it did, it would suck. David Lee Roth isn't what he once was.

as displayed throughout their last tour, neither is Eddie.

Exactly. As I said, a DLR reunion would suck.

As much as I love the guy, and think he IS the band, I gotta face facts: Eddie must've been the cause of any strife within the band. When VH booted Dave, you could maybe say Dave had it coming... but with the band's history now of going through lead singers, the problem is more likely Eddie.

But the guy could rock, and was hugely influential for all the 80s guitar shredders that came after him.

Most of the VanHagar stuff was too fluffy... until they released the Carnal Knowledge album. There's some real good hard rock stuff on there!

I was lucky enough to see Van Halen twice with DLR. The first time, in 1983, it was phenomenal - literally the best concert I've ever seen. Ok, every Rush show was better musically, but in terms of showmanship and pure unadulterated fun, the 1983 Van Halen show was unmatched for the audience. It was also by far the loudest show I'd ever seen.

I saw them again in 1984. Suddenly DLR, who had the previous year held the audience transfixed and was the coolest thing ever in the universe, had morphed into someone completely obnoxious. Don't get me wrong, he was still great and the band was great, but suddenly DLR was too full of himself and it wasn't half the concert the previous year was. DLR was soon out of the band.

Soooo, even seeing them twice, I could see at least in part why DLR left. Still to me THAT was the band and I wouldn't expect anything else. It would be like Rush continuing on with a different band member. It just wouldn't work.

Not much more to offer here. I love DLR, and Van Halen is defined by that era. The Sammy years produced some good stuff, no question. However, I agree with AK and the support it got from others. Adult Contemporary is a perfect way to describe what the music became.

To me, the only good thing to come out of the greatest hits release were the two new songs DLR came back to record for it. They both ROCK!!

One of the best rock bands of all time!

I think the two singers are quite equal and I doubt VH could have made such a success without someone like Sammy.

My favorite albums are 5150 and For unlawful carnal knowledge.

Gotta go back to the DLR era soon. Buy some remasters.

Eddie Van Halen is my guitar god!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 24 2006, 04:37 PM)
Van Halen yes.gif 1022.gif

Van Hagar no.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

though I do like a couple of Van Hagar tunes...

BTW awhile back there was a poll on Sammy vs. Dave

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...21&hl=van+halen

yes.gif Me too!!! I have seen both versions and Diamond Dave was just the better front man for Van Halen. The tunes were better, the vibe was better...........

That being said, I do like quite a bit of the Van Hagar stuff, but Van Halen was never the same after Dave got the axe!!!

"Better save the women and children first"

Archived