Protesters

2112-Rob-2112

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 21 2006, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 21 2006, 11:21 AM)
To the albinos who are protesting - you need to lighten up a bit. sarcasm.gif

Oh no! I thought just the Catholics were protesting. Don't tell me the albinos are protesting, too!

How'd they feel about the albino character in the movie "Foul Play"? Protest him, too?

Check it out.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 21 2006, 09:56 AM)
I'm reading the book right now, and I'm totally addicted.  I think it's awesome; brilliant.  Whether the back story of the Priory of Sion, the Knights Templar, and Opus Dei is real or imaginary, I think the book is an exciting read - fast paced, with lots of fascinating clues and code-breaking.  If anything, the book has only made me more apt to embrace Christ - and this from someone who's a Secular Humanist with a distaste for organized religion.

As JohnnyBlaze said (above), these sensitive Christians can protest all they want; though most of us don't understand it, it's a very personal issue with them.  But why protest "Last Temptation of Christ" and "DaVinci Code," but allow George Burns to portray God as some comical vaudevillian character?  Wasn't "Oh God" more offensive?

And keep in mind: Agnostics and Atheists weren't out protesting "Passion of the Christ."  They just didn't go see it.

goodpost.gif

Ok, i saw the Da Vinci Code and this movie is HIGHLY underrated. I figured with Ron Howard and Tom Hanks you really couldn't go too far wrong, and they didn't. Mind you, I didn't read the book, so I didn't have that clouding my enjoyment of it. I guess the only negative thing I can say about it is one of the great mysteries that gets revealed near the end I had figured out about 1/3rd of the way through the movie, but there were other mysteries I didn't get, and it was all fascinating nonetheless. I like how they made a European espionage movie out of a quest for the holy grail - very clever story, and whether it has any truth to it or not, it's doubtlessly truly fascinating. It was VERY will filmed and quite sylishly done. I recommend it... Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 30 2006, 07:05 PM)
Ok, i saw the Da Vinci Code and this movie is HIGHLY underrated. I figured with Ron Howard and Tom Hanks you really couldn't go too far wrong, and they didn't. Mind you, I didn't read the book, so I didn't have that clouding my enjoyment of it. I guess the only negative thing I can say about it is one of the great mysteries that gets revealed near the end I had figured out about 1/3rd of the way through the movie, but there were other mysteries I didn't get, and it was all fascinating nonetheless. I like how they made a European espionage movie out of a quest for the holy grail - very clever story, and whether it has any truth to it or not, it's doubtlessly truly fascinating. It was VERY will filmed and quite sylishly done. I recommend it...

Like you goob, I did see this movie over the weekend.

I loved it! yes.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 21 2006, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ May 22 2006, 01:36 AM)
What i dont get is why protest the movie when a book of the same name has been out forever.

Sadly that's because most people don't read books

Oh believe me, there have been countless books by countless "professors" and other organizations that have "debunked" the book. How one would go about debunking a work of fiction is beyond me.

Check out the religion section of any major bookstore, and you will find them all on display, considering The da Vinci Code is the flavor of the week right now. You will see books such as:

The da Vinci Lies

The da Vinci Hoax

Cracking the da Vinci Code

The da Vinci Truth

Conveniently, the publishers for all of these books happen to be Christian publishing companies.

My $0.02 is that if all these people and organizations rally to crusade against a work of fiction, then they're just as stupid as the people who believe it.

It has also come to my attention recently that there have been protests against Dan Brown's previous book Angels & Demons, which focuses on an organization called The Illuminati.

What in the hell do they have to protest against? The Bavarian Illuminati, though centuries defunct, did actually exist. Check your history books, protesters. It was formed by Adam Weishaupt in 1776. They were disbanded a short time later, and Adam Weishaupt was exiled out of the country.

Of course, any tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist idiot will tell you that The Illuminati still exist and control the entire world in secrecy. schla03.gif

read the book, haven't seen the movie

the book was, at best, an average, utterly predictable thriller that appeals to the lowest common denominator. what really irked the crap out of me was the supposedly difficult puzzles and codes that were nothing more than the brain teasers i did in elementary school. it's a decent, mindless beach read, though i don't understand the hype around it, and as many others have said, it's freaking fiction. getting your panties in a twist over fiction is just nuts.

i also read digital fortress by dan brown, and it annoyed me in the same manner. i found neal stephenson's cryptonomicon a much more fleshed out, intelligent read. hell, even the blue nowhere by jeffrey deaver was better.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 31 2006, 02:59 PM)

the book was, at best, an average, utterly predictable thriller that appeals to the lowest common denominator. what really irked the crap out of me was the supposedly difficult puzzles and codes that were nothing more than the brain teasers i did in elementary school. it's a decent, mindless beach read, though i don't understand the hype around it, and as many others have said, it's freaking fiction. getting your panties in a twist over fiction is just nuts.

i also read digital fortress by dan brown, and it annoyed me in the same manner. i found neal stephenson's cryptonomicon a much more fleshed out, intelligent read. hell, even the blue nowhere by jeffrey deaver was better.

i read cryptonomicon and it was great, but damn was it long!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 31 2006, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 31 2006, 02:59 PM)

the book was, at best, an average, utterly predictable thriller that appeals to the lowest common denominator.  what really irked the crap out of me was the supposedly difficult puzzles and codes that were nothing more than the brain teasers i did in elementary school.  it's a decent, mindless beach read, though i don't understand the hype around it, and as many others have said, it's freaking fiction.  getting your panties in a twist over fiction is just nuts.

i also read digital fortress by dan brown, and it annoyed me in the same manner.  i found neal stephenson's cryptonomicon a much more fleshed out, intelligent read.  hell, even the blue nowhere by jeffrey deaver was better.

i read cryptonomicon and it was great, but damn was it long!

yup, but at least it didn't treat the reader as if he/she was an idiot wink.gif

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 31 2006, 06:59 PM)

Digital Fortress any good? I might read that book next after I finish The Bug

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 31 2006, 10:53 PM)

the book was, at best, an average, utterly predictable thriller that appeals to the lowest common denominator.  what really irked the crap out of me was the supposedly difficult puzzles and codes that were nothing more than the brain teasers i did in elementary school.  it's a decent, mindless beach read, though i don't understand the hype around it, and as many others have said, it's freaking fiction.  getting your panties in a twist over fiction is just nuts.

i also read digital fortress by dan brown, and it annoyed me in the same manner.  i found neal stephenson's cryptonomicon a much more fleshed out, intelligent read.  hell, even the blue nowhere by jeffrey deaver was better.

digital fortress pissed me off immensely, much more so than the da vinci code. maybe it's because i've taken securities classes, but it just seemed so poorly done.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 31 2006, 10:57 PM)

digital fortress pissed me off immensely, much more so than the da vinci code. maybe it's because i've taken securities classes, but it just seemed so poorly done.

Ah so it's for the mainstream, and not the diehards. Might piss me off too then...

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 31 2006, 10:58 PM)

Digital Fortress any good?  I might read that book next after I finish The Bug

Ah so it's for the mainstream, and not the diehards. Might piss me off too then...

very much so, and the characters and story are pretty poorly constructed as well, so the whole thing adds up to a big bag full of crap. by the time i was done with it (because i have to finish any book i start) i was ready to throw the damn book across the room

it's not worth the money or time, unless there's nothing else you want to read, and you get it for free.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 31 2006, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 31 2006, 10:58 PM)

Digital Fortress any good?  I might read that book next after I finish The Bug

very much so, and the characters and story are pretty poorly constructed as well, so the whole thing adds up to a big bag full of crap. by the time i was done with it (because i have to finish any book i start) i was ready to throw the damn book across the room

it's not worth the money or time, unless there's nothing else you want to read, and you get it for free.

Sound good - gonna read Microserfs or "Girlfriend in Coma" by Douglas Coupland then. I heard these were great.

Still got to finish 1984 and Crossing the Rubicon too

For those who don't know...I am Pagan. Anyway, The Da Vinci Code has a space on My Space & there's guy on there saying that everyone is blasphemous & we're going to hell (I never read this book nor sawy the movie yet)....So, then another movie comes into play & I wanted to share!

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%...sion/narnia.htm

QUOTE (Anixter @ Jun 2 2006, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 2 2006, 01:13 PM)
For those who don't know...I am Pagan.

I'd bet your parents are really proud of you.

Be nice.

QUOTE (Anixter @ Jun 2 2006, 02:22 PM)

http://www.magickal.co.uk/COSL/images/pics/alter2.jpg

First, my father passe away many years ago & wouldn't have a problem with that....second, my mother knew as soon as soon as I told her as she accpets all religions...Next, my sister who is a Jehovah's Witness is ok with that & lastly, my other sister, who is Christian said, 'As long as you're happy.'

To which I reply to you, yes my family is proud of me thank you....

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 2 2006, 02:42 PM)

laugh.gif Now that is the funniest thing I've seen here in a long time!

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 2 2006, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 2 2006, 02:42 PM)

laugh.gif Now that is the funniest thing I've seen here in a long time!

It's looks cool though!! Anyway, the movie was good & I would like to see it....Plus X-men came out....can't wait for that!