CP Poll. Wait and see, or start fresh?

Draco

Should we just move to a new server now, or wait to see if WHP can get all the data first?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should we just move to a new server now, or wait to see if WHP can get all the data first?

• Wait it out and see if we can get the data back
    • Screw it. Get a new server and start over.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sad.gif

That sux that this has to be so difficult. Was there a way to back up all the data you guys had? Or, have each member put up their information, like xxxxxx many previous posts, and just start fresh?

Not like I want the CP'ers to leave, its been nice having them here. smile.gif wub.gif

I voted for screw it, oddly. There is actually a lot of stuff on CP that I do not want to lose. However, the idea of wiping the slate clean also seems rather refreshing.

A new life awaits you in the Off-World colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure...New climate, recreational facilities...absolutely free. Use your new friend as a personal body servant or a tireless field hand -- the custom tailored genetically engineered humanoid replicant designed especially for your needs. So come on America, let's put our team up there...

ohmy.gif Yikes!! I can't believe it's come down to this, I'm torn!

unsure.gif

You'll do the right thing Ken, I'll let you decide. (I voted for wait, but I'd only wait maybe another day, maybe two and then I'd probably say start over - because it's probably inevidable anyways)

It doesn't matter to me either way. My hope is that I don't lose any contacts through CP like Pumpkinhead.

Does anyone know how to reach him?

Hmmm, I'm tempted to say just start fresh. Someone, perhaps Wandering Hermit, made a statement about how good it can be to start anew on things and this may be one of those times.

QUOTE (Phalanx @ May 17 2006, 09:14 AM)
I would hate to see you loose everything. There is a lot of history that should be saved if possible so we don't forget about the past and you know who. fists crying.gif

I concur. "The Park" alone is a valuable piece of history that needs to be preserved.

Either way, The CP community transcends the bytes & bits that reside on any server and, therefore, regardless of which way you choose to go, the Phoenix will rise.

I think we can afford to wait a little longer. Having said that, my concern is that the longer CP is down, the greater the risk of losing CPers becomes.

TRF is a fine place to hang out, and it offers some unique features that might be nice to see in a resurrected CP, but CP had a different vibe that I'm really used to and am missing a lot.

CP had both a place for "fluff" and a place for "rough and tumble", and it's the "rough and tumble" that I enjoy the most.

QUOTE (roll the bones @ May 17 2006, 12:16 PM)

The Bored thread can always begin anew. tongue.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...the I'm Bored thread must live on! SAVE THE DATA

I'm sort of like CT here, I don't care so much either way. I'd much prefer to have the data saved, but I won't be heart broken if we just start fresh, as long as we have all the same forums and subforums, etc. It's not like we can't just start the discussions right back up again. Hell, 95% of the old threads hardly ever get looked at anyway. It's only new threads that people visit frequently, and we've got plenty of time to create new threads, as long as all the same forums are there.

Having said that, however, I don't think it'll hurt to wait a few more days before making this decision.

As for post counts, I've said elsewhere that I'm not defined by my post count, so that doesn't concern me.

I agree also with Lucid Seer that CP is about the people and the community, not the posts. The phoenix will indeed rise, history or not.

As for the Bored forum, I think I'd be happy to see all those threads disappear! comp26.gif

Sort of cryptic, Ken. Do you have reason to believe CP's data might be lost forever? Have the server folks suggested the possibility of this?

Certain Peeps have put in serious time adding positive content to CP. Nunavuter's contributions immediately spring to mind. There's been some truly fascinating debate and solid ideas bandied about in AL and Politics. All of the info-filled subforum content like the Rush traders, Science, geeks, and musicians forum Q&As would be lost. And perhaps formost the sense of CP community history would be obliterated.

If you have to start over then there's nothing you can do but please exhaust all the avenues for retrieval first. Thanks.

I had the forethought to save two of the neverending stories, so I can contribute those should there be a clean slate. Much of what I posted in a few threads is actually here, too. Things like Peter Griffin's covers and other artworks I hope can be resurrected from other sources.

Off to find my copy of the GedClone manual...

First we need to get CP back. That is most important.

Then recover the data, even to somewhere else, as an archive.

Its much more important to get CP back. There are things on CP that, for sentimental value, will always mean something to me. But really, if getting it going is all you can handle, then do it. You have my support. And thanks RTB, Jules, Ken, and all that keep CP going.

Archived