CP Poll. Wait and see, or start fresh?

Draco

Should we just move to a new server now, or wait to see if WHP can get all the data first?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should we just move to a new server now, or wait to see if WHP can get all the data first?

• Wait it out and see if we can get the data back
    • Screw it. Get a new server and start over.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to set up the messageboard, and later merge data into it from elsewhere?

I voted to wait, simply because after 7,000 posts and 4+ years, the idea that it is all gone depresses me.

QUOTE (TheTrinity @ May 17 2006, 01:48 PM)
Too much history to just give up without exploring every oprion first.

OPRION

OPRION

OPRION

pokey.gif

QUOTE (Lucid Seer @ May 17 2006, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (The Great Zo @ May 17 2006, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ May 17 2006, 07:47 PM)
I wonder, if he put his mind to it... how long would it take Zo to recreate the Bored thread (and surpass it's current number of posts)?

It took me 5 years, and for many of those years I had no life. It'd take me 10 years to do it now. unsure.gif

Holy Raw Fingertips, Batman.

For this reason alone we need to try and recover the data

What would be the meaning of Zo's life, otherwise bolt.gif

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

SAVE ZO !!

In all seriousness Ken, .... i concur with MitA'S sentimonies. Do anything in your power to not let that thing get away man.

Fresh is good, but it would never be the same. CP is more than a Rush icon.... its an internet icon.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

CellarTroll, Draconator trink39.gif Glad to see you survived the Ghetto Tent pokey.gif biggrin.gif

-Poncho.

Ken, I'd vote for waiting a little while longer and then making the move, but ultimately, it's your decision - do whatever is easiest for you and Julie. Running the board and trying to police us hooligans is tough enough without dealing with that crap - I'm sure that whatever you decide, it'll be the right thing to do.....

I voted to wait.

The Park was the first thing to come to mind, let's exhaust all possibilities to regaining any data that might've been lost before we all get drunk at a BARF and decide to resurrect CP while we're all drunk.

On second thought, to well with WHP - let's all attend a BARF, get piss drunk and start a new CP...

common001.gif trink39.gif icon_alienjig.gif

I was wonderin' where everybody went, I thought I'd been blocked from accessing CP at work due to my incessant hanging out there...I'd give it a little longer, how long has it been down now???

There's alot of good content in there, hope it doesn't all go away...

It's cool we're finding our way to a new home in the sun...TRM looks pretty cool to me!!!

There's already five pages of stuff here, and I haven't read it all, but has anyone suggested starting fresh, and then if the data is eventually recovered from the old board, just have it accessible in a read-only mode in case anyone wants to search through it?

QUOTE (fast eddie @ May 17 2006, 09:19 PM)
It's cool we're finding our way to a new home in the sun...TRM looks pretty cool to me!!!

TRM? rofl3.gif

The Rush Moshpit?

The Rush Minions?

The Rush Mindf*ck?

The Ridiculous Morons?

The Rotating Mandolins?

The Rhinoceros Magnets?

The Roasted Mallards?

The Rastafarian Malcontents?

The Rare Muttons?

*pulls self away from post with great effort*

ph34r.gif comp26.gif tongue.gif 653.gif wink.gif doh.gif moon.gif trink39.gif

On the Web Host Talk forum that we've been on as of late, folks who have found themselves with someone else's server data have been kind enough to get a hold of the 'owner' and give them their data. If we've lost everything, I'm hoping we get someone like that!

I voted to wait it out. Lots of stuff I would hate to see gone for good. Things I would have saved if I had known...blah, blah, etc.

However, if a fresh start is needed, so be it. I have seen plenty of message boards vanish, including the original CP and my own board, The Monkey House. I managed to survive both of those (as well as a few other boards with lots of my internet posting history).

Everything dies eventually. What the members of the CP community will determine is whether we stay buried or rise like a phoenix.

Sometimes a new beginning can be a very good thing, even if it hurts a bit getting there.

All I ask is that someone let me know when a new CP might begin so I can wait to join as member number 666...surely the only appropriate number for the embodiment of internet evil. 1022.gif

QUOTE (HowlerMonkey @ May 18 2006, 10:50 AM)
All I ask is that someone let me know when a new CP might begin so I can wait to join as member number 666...surely the only appropriate number for the embodiment of internet evil. 1022.gif

Love always triumphs over evil. I want member (?!?) number 69.

common001.gif

QUOTE (wibblet @ May 18 2006, 09:57 AM)
All I ask is that someone let me know when a new CP might begin so I can wait to join as member number 666...surely the only appropriate number for the embodiment of internet evil.  1022.gif

common001.gif

laugh.gif Sounds more like lust to me, wibblet!

QUOTE (HowlerMonkey @ May 18 2006, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (wibblet @ May 18 2006, 09:57 AM)
All I ask is that someone let me know when a new CP might begin so I can wait to join as member number 666...surely the only appropriate number for the embodiment of internet evil.  1022.gif

common001.gif

laugh.gif Sounds more like lust to me, wibblet!

If that were so, then I would have to use this emoticon: drool1.gif

I'm going to go ahead and break silence on this now.

I've been in contact with a very nice person that my wife has known on the net for quite some time. I have asked him about hosting CP and costs. At this point, he is working on some technical issues concerning page loading speeds, and some lagging. I have asked him to get in touch with me when he is able to work out a deal for hosting.

I'm not sure how much space or bandwidth we can get there, but if we really need to have CP somewhere fairly safe as far as data preservation, it might work.

I'll give you guys more information as soon I can get it.

Archived