'Iron Man' thread *UPDATED* w/casting news!

Jack Aubrey

From our friends at Hollywood News:

SWINGERS star Jon Favreau is to direct the big screen version of the Marvel comic book, IRON MAN. Favreau, who directed flicks like ZATHURA and ELF will team with screenwriters Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy) to bring the movie to cinemas in 2008.

IRON MAN will be Favreau's next project and the movie will join a proposed HULK sequel, which is also said to be on the slate for release in 2008.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/37f0daed.jpg

Edited by Jack Aubrey

YES 1022.gif !!!!!!! I love this character. I pray this movie gets completed and a good actor is chosen. But I'm scared of what the premise will be. I hope it doesn't go too far off the source material like some comic movies have in the past.

He looks like one of my son's Bionicles.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 1 2006, 02:38 PM)
They should get Ozzy Osbourne to play Iron Man. yes.gif

laugh.gif I had that creepy voice saying "I am Iron Man" going through my head when reading this thread.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ May 2 2006, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 1 2006, 02:38 PM)
They should get Ozzy Osbourne to play Iron Man.  yes.gif

laugh.gif I had that creepy voice saying "I am Iron Man" going through my head when reading this thread.

So did I. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 1 2006, 07:59 AM)
From our friends at Hollywood News:

SWINGERS star Jon Favreau is to direct the big screen version of the Marvel comic book, IRON MAN. Favreau, who directed flicks like ZATHURA and ELF will team with screenwriters Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy) to bring the movie to cinemas in 2008.

IRON MAN will be Favreau's next project and the movie will join a proposed HULK sequel, which is also said to be on the slate for release in 2008.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/37f0daed.jpg

I LOVE IRON MAN ! CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS ONE ! 1022.gif

From MTV via Coming Soon:

MTV talked to Iron Man director Jon Favreau, who gave some interesting quotes. Here are a few of them about the movie:

"It's the first movie Marvel is self-financing," he said of a new deal that frees the makers of the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" movies from studio control. "We're set to come out in the summer of '08, and we'll start shooting in January."

"We're gonna have it take place in the present day, but there will be an origin story that has the old, gray Iron Man suit; eventually it will progress into more of the modern look," Favreau said. "That's the fun of doing the first one."

"The alcoholism doesn't come into play until later on in the story of Iron Man," he said. "[The comic] started off in the '60s, where it was about him as a successful manufacturer who developed this suit. Then, later, it spins off into that story about him fighting against himself. I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

Mentioning an eventual "Iron Man 2," Favreau said that actor playing Tony Stark for his franchise is unlikely to be a major star (Tom Cruise was briefly attached to the role years ago). Instead, the director hopes to announce his discovery of a relative unknown from the Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") mold later this year.

Nicolas Cage was also attached to this role. He's been dying for a comic hero role. I hope he does Ghost Rider well.

I like Iron Man a lot cuz he's so flawed. He's not this top notch guy who is just full of heroism. He has every man problems and the hero in him has to FIGHT to come through. Making him this way made him much more likable compared to the silver age Iron Man.

Very interested in seeing this movie, as ALL comic related films.

QUOTE (TheTrinity @ May 26 2006, 04:33 AM)
Sweet! Oh man, can a full blown Avengers film be that far off? smile.gif

Now THAT would be awesome!!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It seems that the poster I put in the first post in this thread was bogus. Here's the official teaser poster:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/5c489819.jpg

Well, the role has been cast. According to John Favreau's Iron Man blog on MySpace, Robert Downey, Jr. will be playing Iron Man.

Discuss.

I think he'll do a decent job IF he can stay Clean!

He has a history of good things happen to him then he screws it up with some stupid drug charge.

Maybe this will be the role that turns around his once promising career confused13.gif

Edited by Batman

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 29 2006, 04:58 AM)
Well, the role has been cast. According to John Favreau's Iron Man blog on MySpace, Robert Downey, Jr. will be playing Iron Man.

Discuss.

I dont think i've never seen anything with Rober Downey Jr.

Is he even a good actor? I hope he doesn't screw the role up or anything. Cause Iron Man kicks ass.

oh and a icon_really_happy_guy.gif goes out to 1-0-0 for ozzy playing iron man

New news! The cast list grows. A tip of the hat to Aint It Cool News for the scoopage.

Pepper Potts will be [portrayed by] Gwyneth Paltrow. So, we have Robert Downey Jr as Stark, [and] Terrence Howard as Rhodes.

Jack here: I hate Gwyneth Paltrow. I hate her crappy acting ability, her face (which always reminds me of a constipated beaver), and her godawful screechy voice. I will never see 'Iron Man' now.