Illegal to be drunk in Texas Bars

alphseeker

Fox news reports that it is now illegal to be drunk in texas bars - if you are over the Driving limit of .08% and you are still in the bar police can arrest you - The report states that thousands have been arrested - Obviously there are no irishmen or canadiens in texas because this BULLSH@# wouldn't fly anywhere else -

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 23 2006, 11:14 PM)
Next Texas Law: No eating in restaurants...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (nebbish @ Mar 24 2006, 06:00 AM)
I say ....LEAVE TEXAS
Come to Ireland .....where you can drink in bars laugh.gif trink38.gif

Sounds good to me! This is why we stay at home to drink. The only hassle from the cops we risk is when the neighbors get mad about Tom setting off fireworks in the street. laugh.gif

Trust me, you guys. This is necessary, if you ask me. When I was a bartender, the only thing we could do with intoxicated people was kick them out and send them off on their way, only to be menacing drunk drivers. We did the best we could to keep an eye on patrons who were on their way to being wasted. But, you try to babysit a bar full of lushes while you have a waitstaff up your rear end at the same time. I think this is a good idea if used when no other options are reasonable.

Thanks for that link, alph.

This is a very sad statistic:

"According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Texas had 1,264 alcohol-related traffic fatalities in 2004, the most in the nation."

Like the article says, they aren't randomly doing field sobriety tests. It isn't as though the cops are picking on those people who are just enjoying themselves. If this would save just one life, and the cops don't abuse this law, I say cool with me.

QUOTE (nebbish @ Mar 24 2006, 07:00 AM)
I say ....LEAVE TEXAS
Come to Ireland .....where you can drink in bars laugh.gif trink38.gif

biggrin.gif We are on the way to Ireland in the morning !!.. Southern Ireland not Northern !!!! trink38.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

Sounds like a bunch of bullsh*t to me! They'll have a hell of a time enforcing that one!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (queenshall @ Mar 24 2006, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (nebbish @ Mar 24 2006, 07:00 AM)
I say ....LEAVE TEXAS
Come to Ireland .....where you can drink in bars  laugh.gif  trink38.gif

biggrin.gif We are on the way to Ireland in the morning !!.. Southern Ireland not Northern !!!! trink38.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

You should give Northern Ireland a try....you'll not be disappointed smile.gif

Edited by nebbish

Beck acknowledged many people may be surprised to learn they can be arrested for being drunk in a bar.

"We are trying to get the message out that we want bars to sell responsibly and consumers to consume responsibly," she said.

No -- the message is that overly moralistic fascist minded gestapo idiots consider getting drunk to be an "irresponsible" use of alcohol

"Drinking is fine," said agency spokeswoman Carolyn Beck. "But when people drink too much, they become dangerous to themselves and other people."

And just having a designated driver isn't an excuse to get knee-wobbling drunk.

Beck cited a recent case in El Paso where a man staggered into traffic and was killed, and a student on spring break at South Padre Island who tried to jump into a hotel pool from a second-floor window. He missed and died.

Note how this official explanation can just as readily be applied to drinking in the privacy of your own home. After all, once you get drunk, hey, you might stagger out into the street and get run over by a car.

Good god, this sort of crap pisses me off. The damned gov't busybodies are trying to claim they are doing it for our "protection" -- when what is really desperately needed is protection from THEM and their unreasonable laws.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Mar 23 2006, 03:09 PM)
Fox news reports that it is now illegal to be drunk in texas bars - if you are over the Driving limit of .08% and you are still in the bar police can arrest you - The report states that thousands have been arrested - Obviously there are no irishmen or canadiens in texas because this BULLSH@# wouldn't fly anywhere else -

Actually the law hasn't changed, and it has nothing to do with blood alcohol level. It's the same PI law that's been on the books forever, they've just decided that now is a good time to start collecting this easily tapped stream of revenue. Texans have steadfastly refused to put up with a state income tax, and this kind of selective enforcement of law is the result since curtailing the size of government is out of the question. wacko.gif

The PI law in Texas relies entirely on the discretion of the revenue collector (policeman). If they believe that you are acting in a manner that exhibits intoxication then you are apt to be charged. Your only hope of fighting the charge is if the jury believes your testimony over the occifers. The taking of breathalyzers etc. is just for tertiary evidence to weigh on the jury.

The fun police are here. Careful being loud and laughing to much with your friends at a bar, that celebratory night out might end up costing you big. Please note that this will only take place in small venues where the owners have no pull with the state gov. The worlds biggest drunk-fest that is the Texas Motor Speedway events will no doubt be protected from such action, as will the other pro sporting events. The collection of revenue from the lemming masses will never be allowed to interfere with the profit of the big wheels who own our "representatives".

Texans used to be the most fiercely independent, freedom loving people in the world. I am frankly embarrassed and ashamed that we have been so easily taken in by the carpetbagging east coast elitists of the Bush Crime Family and their stooges that currently control our state and our nation. I can only hope that soon others will say 'Here and no further' as I have, and end this insane power grab.

Better drunk on wine than drunk on power!

Edited by Weakly Criminal

Hmmm...sounds like the start of the New Prohibition!

The tax revenue streams that this will generate for the state and the state's so-called concern for life is all well and good, but whatever happened to personal responsibility? If someone wanders into traffic and gets hit and killed because he's drunk, it's his own damn fault! This whole thing is just absolutely ridiculous! wtf.gif

Make no mistake, it's all about the almighty dollar. Remember, the State of Texas took in a great majority of hurricane evacuees from New Orleans and the strain that the evacuees have put on the state and local budgets has pushed them to the breaking point, and it's just so interesting that they suddenly discovered that this law was on the books and not being enforced. Some states have special committees that will go looking thru state law looking for things like this just so they can figure out how to get more money out of us. Here in Georgia, we do have a state income tax, but since our politicians don't know how to stop spending our money, the same thing is just as likely to happen.

Edited by biggoodie

I live in the area where some of these sweeps have taken place. MADD has their headquarters in DFW. Their cause is noble but has crossed the line. Alcohol related offenses are more serious than drug offenses down here. No joke. Much money is made by the state for alcohol related offenses. This has become a cashcow for the state without question. MADD has become over zealous in their cause.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 30 2006, 02:15 PM)
Much money is made by the state for alcohol related offenses. This has become a cashcow for the state without question.

There is good reason for that. If the major cause of fatalities on Texas roads was speed, then the state would be cashing in big time on speeding tickets. If you want to drink yourself silly, do it at home. Otherwise, if you want to make a drunken ass of yourself in public, you deserve to get a P.I.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 30 2006, 04:01 PM)
Much money is made by the state for alcohol related offenses.  This has become a cashcow for the state without question.

There is good reason for that. If the major cause of fatalities on Texas roads was speed, then the state would be cashing in big time on speeding tickets. If you want to drink yourself silly, do it at home. Otherwise, if you want to make a drunken ass of yourself in public, you deserve to get a P.I.

I agree but they have gone too far. We are the 2nd most populous state and almost everyone has a long commute. That's probably why we are at the top of the list in fatalities.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 30 2006, 03:17 PM)
Much money is made by the state for alcohol related offenses.  This has become a cashcow for the state without question.

I agree but they have gone too far. We are the 2nd most populous state and almost everyone has a long commute. That's probably why we are at the top of the list in fatalities.

no.gif People driving drunk is why we have so many alcohol related fatalities. I don't care if your commute is from here to El Paso. You have a better chance of making it there alive if you're sober.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 30 2006, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 30 2006, 03:17 PM)

no.gif People driving drunk is why we have so many alcohol related fatalities. I don't care if your commute is from here to El Paso. You have a better chance of making it there alive if you're sober.

So you are saying that people in Texas drive drunk more than people in other states? What about population and length of commute? Most people in Northeastern cities don't even drive.

They WALK home. Why won't you take that into consideration? Again, the number ranking is due to these factors.