The Sopranos thread!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 11 2007, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 10 2007, 09:12 PM)
last 5 minutes were strange.  there was definitely an effort to create this feeling that something was going to happen and then nada.  Life just keeps going on.  This will add fuel to the fire about a the rumours of a movie though.

Thats not "weird" - thats Chase - you should have expected that smile.gif Its exactly his style (where did the Russian who escpaed in the Pine Barrens ever go? smile.gif)

I thought it was great, and I thought the last two eps of the series were a fitting ending to the show.

Same here! I love the way that they built tension then just.....stopped. Fantastic cliffhanger!

Phil Leotardo. Wow. Can you say 'closed casket funeral'?

I was wrong about Paulie, though, wasn't I? So much for my precognative abilities. Just call me Karnak. laugh.gif

Paulie was right, the cat was creepy.

Excellent animated gif in your sig there... smile.gif

I just watched the finale last night and have since let it sink in a bit.

I'm all with those people who thought the cable cut out or something the end was so abrupt.

Overall I really like the way they wrapped things up. Think of all the action the past several episodes - the number of whacks alone it's just been crazy, the mob war come and gone, Tony wrapping things up with his shrink.

I think the intent of this episode was more of a farewell to the Sopranos nuclear family and a return to status quo - that march of paranoia goes on.

Nice to see Phil get popped. Throw him onto the pile of very vile characters we've been yearning to see get smushed. His death almost makes up for the disappointing death of the terribly annoying Mr Sacks. Also addressed is the absolute decline of Uncle Junior - he's no longer a threat to testify against Tony. We also see a bit of closure with the Feds where they are on Tony's side - all but telling him where to find Phil.

Great end to the series - unless of course you are one of those people who hoped they might make Tony the boss of the world and he flies to Italy to meet the Pope and move into a gargantuan castle and stuff..

common001.gif

To me the open ending was anything but unconventional. It's so cliche and one of the best shows of all time should've gone out so much better than that. Aside from Phil and Uncle Junior, I thought the whole episode was shit.

Anyway, here's Kevin Smith's take on it:

Click

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 12 2007, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 11 2007, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 10 2007, 09:12 PM)
last 5 minutes were strange.  there was definitely an effort to create this feeling that something was going to happen and then nada.  Life just keeps going on.  This will add fuel to the fire about a the rumours of a movie though.

Thats not "weird" - thats Chase - you should have expected that smile.gif Its exactly his style (where did the Russian who escpaed in the Pine Barrens ever go? smile.gif)

I thought it was great, and I thought the last two eps of the series were a fitting ending to the show.

Same here! I love the way that they built tension then just.....stopped. Fantastic cliffhanger!

Phil Leotardo. Wow. Can you say 'closed casket funeral'?

I was wrong about Paulie, though, wasn't I? So much for my precognative abilities. Just call me Karnak. laugh.gif

Paulie was right, the cat was creepy.

Excellent animated gif in your sig there... smile.gif

Thanks! I shamelessly stole it from another site. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 12 2007, 08:06 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 12 2007, 08:02 AM)
Thanks! I shamelessly stole it from another site.  laugh.gif

That looks like the last couple seconds of the series?

(minus the blackness of course)

Yep, it's the final scene.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 12 2007, 07:30 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 12 2007, 08:27 AM)
Yep, it's the final scene.

Wow.

The longer I stare at it - the less certain I am whether Tony suddenly sees/realizes something or if he is completely oblivious.

Don't think about it too much. Chase is just mind f*cking you.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 12 2007, 06:57 AM)
To me the open ending was anything but unconventional. It's so cliche and one of the best shows of all time should've gone out so much better than that. Aside from Phil and Uncle Junior, I thought the whole episode was shit.

Click

See here's my problem - name the top three ways YOU would have ended the show, and Ill bet I would think they were worse endings. Im not set in stone though, come up with a good idea, and Ill publicly state yours is better...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 12 2007, 08:08 AM)

Click

See here's my problem - name the top three ways YOU would have ended the show, and Ill bet I would think they were worse endings. Im not set in stone though, come up with a good idea, and Ill publicly state yours is better...

No point in that, because redtamasrule already said how I feel. Anything but a sudden cut to black. If life goes on as usual, show them eating and fade out. If Tony gets whacked, show some indication of it instead of just clues leading up to it and...nothing. I just didn't see the point of ending it like that other than to get people talking.

Obviously you liked the way it ended and that's cool, but what did you think of the episode in general? It just didn't seem very important to me, not for a show of this calibur. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 12 2007, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 12 2007, 08:08 AM)

Click

No point in that, because redtamasrule already said how I feel. Anything but a sudden cut to black. If life goes on as usual, show them eating and fade out. If Tony gets whacked, show some indication of it instead of just clues leading up to it and...nothing. I just didn't see the point of ending it like that other than to get people talking.

Obviously you liked the way it ended and that's cool, but what did you think of the episode in general? It just didn't seem very important to me, not for a show of this calibur. confused13.gif

The episode was not as great as the week before, but I watched it again, and enjoyed it more than the first watch. If you watch the Bobby funeral scene again, its hysterical, AJ is going off the deep end, and after unzipping his pants, Paulie Walnuts continues with his outrageous non-sequitors.

Overall, Id give the episode a B or B-. Like Star Wars III - in a way they couldnt lose because we knew it was the end (I make that analogy because in SW III I couldnt wait to see Anakin become DV; but a lot of the rest of the movie was simply tenion leading to that moment) - but I enjoyed things that many of you might not have. Watch that last scene with Tony and Junior - its a really great scene. The small scene with Carmella looking at her architects drawings while AJ laughs at a video with his girlfriend was poignant with me - these poeple will never change, and are shallow losers - despite what AJ says, they are what he allegedly hates.

I also like the mix of humor with serious things - like when Tony says that they could have made a fortune selling gallons of holy water after Paulie shares that he saw the Virgin Mary at the Bing.

Again - I wouldnt put this up with my top episodes of all time, but did think it was a B or B-.

Also - I was expecting somewhat of a letdown after the episode the week before; and knowing what Chase is like.

Yeah, it was deliberately left open-ended. Did you notice 'Any Way You Want it" on the jukebox?

There were tons of little clues that I'm sure could be interpreted in different ways.

I'm on the computer @ work and don't have access to the show, but here's a few others I remember:

1. When Tony arrives in the diner he looks over the crowd. Then you see his face again briefly, then you see the crowd again. Only this time Tony's there. It's like he's placing himself in the scene. His satisfied look might suggest that this is as good a place as any for the end to happen.

2. Also on the jukebox, "Who Will you Run To" (Heart). Maybe, who will you run to to save you from your fate, or maybe it referred to the women Tony runs to (it was shown right around the time Agt Harris' mistress came walking in).

3. Tony got onion rings and said "I ordered something for the whole table." Did Tony's actions cause his whole family's execution? Also, did you notice the way they popped those onion rings into their mouths? It reminded me a lot of Catholics taking communion, Maybe it's a 'Last Supper' kind of thing.

4. Meadow having trouble parallel parking -- I always thought she didn't really 'fit' in that family. Does that allow her to escape her family'sfate?

5. The two black guys, the older guy in the ballcap (FBI agent - 'always present at these things') and Phil's nephew could represent past, present and future trouble for Tony.

6. The fade to black -- didn't Bobby say something like when you get whacked it all just fades to black -- in the first episode of the year?

Anyway, I thought it was a fantastic ending, full of stuff to talk and debate about. Yeah that's what Chase wants, but I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not wrapping everything up all neat and tidy. Really this whole series was just one big old acid trip to purgatory.

QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ Jun 17 2007, 03:48 AM)
Yeah, it was deliberately left open-ended. Did you notice 'Any Way You Want it" on the jukebox?

There were tons of little clues that I'm sure could be interpreted in different ways.

I'm on the computer @ work and don't have access to the show, but here's a few others I remember:

1. When Tony arrives in the diner he looks over the crowd. Then you see his face again briefly, then you see the crowd again. Only this time Tony's there. It's like he's placing himself in the scene. His satisfied look might suggest that this is as good a place as any for the end to happen.

2. Also on the jukebox, "Who Will you Run To" (Heart). Maybe, who will you run to to save you from your fate, or maybe it referred to the women Tony runs to (it was shown right around the time Agt Harris' mistress came walking in).

3. Tony got onion rings and said "I ordered something for the whole table." Did Tony's actions cause his whole family's execution? Also, did you notice the way they popped those onion rings into their mouths? It reminded me a lot of Catholics taking communion, Maybe it's a 'Last Supper' kind of thing.

4. Meadow having trouble parallel parking -- I always thought she didn't really 'fit' in that family. Does that allow her to escape her family'sfate?

5. The two black guys, the older guy in the ballcap (FBI agent - 'always present at these things') and Phil's nephew could represent past, present and future trouble for Tony.

6. The fade to black -- didn't Bobby say something like when you get whacked it all just fades to black -- in the first episode of the year?

Anyway, I thought it was a fantastic ending, full of stuff to talk and debate about. Yeah that's what Chase wants, but I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not wrapping everything up all neat and tidy. Really this whole series was just one big old acid trip to purgatory.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ Jun 17 2007, 03:48 AM)

goodpost.gif

Other tidbits:

The guy at the bar had a "Members Only" jacket, symbolism

Someone said Janice saw their father get whacked, but I dont remember that

Chase had said that while he made the ending like that, its not open ended, he said that "its all there in front of you, to know what happened" - which has me thinking more that gets killed right then. Or maybe all of them.

I liked the ending...

Janice's father, Johnny Boy Soprano, didn't get whacked. He died of emphysema. But I think she saw him get busted at a carnival that was actually a Jersey mob meeting. The guys brought their daughters along as a cover.

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Jun 17 2007, 11:54 AM)
Janice's father, Johnny Boy Soprano, didn't get whacked. He died of emphysema. But I think she saw him get busted at a carnival that was actually a Jersey mob meeting. The guys brought their daughters along as a cover.

Right! Thanks! And welcome to the board! bekloppt.gif

fav Sopranos moment of all-time:

[baccala and Tony are meeting at an undisclosed location; Bacala is leaning up against Tony's SUV]

Tony: "why don't you quit leaning up against my truck.."

Baccala: "Huh?"

Tony: "you heard me, you fat bastard, quit leaning up against it, you calzone with legs, you're liable to tip it over!"

[Tony peels out, Baccala is left standing by himself on the verge of tears]

Baccala: "calling me fat?! why don't you try looking in the mirror once in a while you insensitive c*cksuckah!"

QUOTE (aslavetothedriveofobsession @ Oct 26 2007, 02:10 AM)
fav Sopranos moment of all-time:

[baccala and Tony are meeting at an undisclosed location; Bacala is leaning up against Tony's SUV]

Tony: "why don't you quit leaning up against my truck.."

Baccala: "Huh?"

Tony: "you heard me, you fat bastard, quit leaning up against it, you calzone with legs, you're liable to tip it over!"

[Tony peels out, Baccala is left standing by himself on the verge of tears]

Baccala: "calling me fat?! why don't you try looking in the mirror once in a while you insensitive c*cksuckah!"

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

related moment...

"Oh, look at these two!" (Paulie, looking at Vito and Bobby)

"Before, and... WAAAAAY before!"

Edited by lerxt1990