Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

The Snare on the original Images is a thousand times worse then anything with Mangini i'm sorry. As much as i love the material. the snare is shit.

Mick

What did you think of the 2007 versions I posted above?

• Like 2

The Snare on the original Images is a thousand times worse then anything with Mangini i'm sorry. As much as i love the material. the snare is shit.

Mick

Much better. i wouldn't have been opposed to a full remix.

Mick

Aaaah I had wondered why when playing Images I disliked these songs a little more than I remembered!

New mixes are the ones I first heard, and enjoyed, makes sense.

• Like 1

Aaaah I had wondered why when playing Images I disliked these songs a little more than I remembered!

they should have remixed the full album.

the more i hear the original's snare the more i dislike it.

Portnoy loathed it as well.

one thing we agree on, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Yeah I do remember playing the album and thinking "I remember these sounding better before". How funny!

I still think the worst sounding studio release is Changing Of Seasons. But I think everything pre-Scenes is quite bad sounding. And I don't think it's because they are dated, the early nineties had a lot of great sounding albums.

• Like 1

Mick

Yeah I do remember playing the album and thinking "I remember these sounding better before". How funny!

I still think the worst sounding studio release is Changing Of Seasons. But I think everything pre-Scenes is quite bad sounding. And I don't think it's because they are dated, the early nineties had a lot of great sounding albums.

yea it's beyond me when people bitch about mangini.....who granted does not get represented well at all.

But Pre-scenes DT is just as bad........so i wish that double standard would die, lol'

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

yea it's beyond me when people bitch about mangini.....who granted does not get represented well at all.

But Pre-scenes DT is just as bad........so i wish that double standard would die, lol'

Mick

I don't blame Portnoy, they have said many a time they didn't enjoy the recording process of Images And Words, so the bad sound, and his lack of satisfaction, points to him being better than the studio work reveals. He makes up for it on live recordings (and the remixes weren't re-recordings, so the issue was the initial mixing, not the performance).

Mangini is pretty boring. I loved Portnoy's work on Black Clouds, but A Dramatic... was a step down. (I thought this before I knew it was Mangini).

I would prefer Portnoy to return. The last three albums are each very good, but I doubt I will play them often.

Edited by Segue Myles

Mick

Mick

I don't blame Portnoy, they have said many a time they didn't enjoy the recording process of Images And Words, so the bad sound, and his lack of satisfaction, points to him being better.

Mangini is pretty boring. I loved his work on Black Clouds, but A Dramatic... was a step down. (I thought this before I knew it was Mangini).

I would prefer Portnoy to return. The last three albums are each very good, but I doubt I will play them often.

Portnoy was on black Clouds.

And i prefer mangini by miles in the band.

he's a beast live.

he blew portnoy away live on the shattered Fortress.

I don't want portnoy anywhere near DT again.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I have no idea why, but Mangini does nothing for me. But I am not sure if its because of his performances or simply because I do not care much for the albums he plays on (I like all three so this sounds way more negative than I intend it to sound haha).

Mike Portnoy says he’d “welcome” a Dream Theater return if the opportunity ever arose.

The drummer quit the band in 2010, leading to a public war of words, and an attempt to rejoin, and was eventually replaced by Mike Mangini.

He’s gone on to appear in several projects since the split, including Flying Colors, Metal Allegiance, and his band The Winery Dogs. But he says he’d be open to some sort of reconciliation in the future.

He tells Gigs And Festivals: “ Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci, we’ve stayed in touch. I’ve never closed the door on doing something with them.

“It’s not like I’m waiting for it – it’s not like I’m planning it, it’s not like it’s in my career plan, but certainly if the invitation, or if the opportunity arose, I would surely welcome it.

“It’s just because I don’t hold grudges, and I like to have an open heart and always cherish the people in my life and in my past. That was 25 years of my life.”

Portnoy says he’ll spend the majority of 2016 with The Winery Dogs, but will also continue with his Twisted Sister touring commitments, Metal Allegiance project and make another record with the Neal Morse Band.

He adds: “You never know what’s around the corner, and if I can squeeze things in – I’m a workaholic so you never know what might pop up.”

The Winery Dogs are currently on tour supporting latest album Hot Streak, with their next show scheduled for tonight (February 10) in Barcelona.

Ah yes, but could be PLAY the Mangini stuff?

I mean you'd think so but holy crap MM's a damn machine..

An... AN ENIGMA MACHINE!

• Like 1

I'm glad I can't tell what the hell the snare drum sounds like on anything. So, these problems don't bother me.

You are lucky, because it sucks haha.

Mick

Wow, Take the Time sounds f***ing awesome with THAT kit!!!

• Like 1

PSSSSTTT... "Awake" sounds great, man!

• Like 2

I'm glad I can't tell what the hell the snare drum sounds like on anything. So, these problems don't bother me.

I'm able to pick out what the bass drum, high hat and cymbals sound like. But other than that I don't have a clue about the rest. All I know is that the drummer is hitting things back there.

Mike Portnoy says he’d “welcome” a Dream Theater return if the opportunity ever arose.

The drummer quit the band in 2010, leading to a public war of words, and an attempt to rejoin, and was eventually replaced by Mike Mangini.

He’s gone on to appear in several projects since the split, including Flying Colors, Metal Allegiance, and his band The Winery Dogs. But he says he’d be open to some sort of reconciliation in the future.

He tells Gigs And Festivals: “ Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci, we’ve stayed in touch. I’ve never closed the door on doing something with them.

“It’s not like I’m waiting for it – it’s not like I’m planning it, it’s not like it’s in my career plan, but certainly if the invitation, or if the opportunity arose, I would surely welcome it.

“It’s just because I don’t hold grudges, and I like to have an open heart and always cherish the people in my life and in my past. That was 25 years of my life.”

Portnoy says he’ll spend the majority of 2016 with The Winery Dogs, but will also continue with his Twisted Sister touring commitments, Metal Allegiance project and make another record with the Neal Morse Band.

He adds: “You never know what’s around the corner, and if I can squeeze things in – I’m a workaholic so you never know what might pop up.”

The Winery Dogs are currently on tour supporting latest album Hot Streak, with their next show scheduled for tonight (February 10) in Barcelona.

Ah yes, but could be PLAY the Mangini stuff?

I mean you'd think so but holy crap MM's a damn machine..

An... AN ENIGMA MACHINE!

i guess i'm biased but oh well........Mangini live rules. hell i enjoy him studio wise too. Sure he's not mr. flash but so what? i even prefer his takes on the older stuff.

nah don't miss portnoy.....like at all.

Mick

I'm able to pick out what the bass drum, high hat and cymbals sound like. But other than that I don't have a clue about the rest. All I know is that the drummer is hitting things back there.

Naw, that's not true you're not giving yourself enough credit!

Basically when you listen to any beat it's going to have a BOOM and a BAP.

The snare drum's the BAP part :D

Thing about portnoy. as good as he is.......eventually. i could predict every fill he's gonna do....when he's gonna do em.

And he's to showey for his own good.

Mick

That's my criticism of him as well...he's not QUITE as bad with some of his other projects, but the DT stuff was WAY predictable after a while....

• Like 2

Thing about portnoy. as good as he is.......eventually. i could predict every fill he's gonna do....when he's gonna do em.

And he's to showey for his own good.

Mick

That's my criticism of him as well...he's not QUITE as bad with some of his other projects, but the DT stuff was WAY predictable after a while....

I agree that Portnoy´s fills got a bit predictable after nine albums. Especially in Black Clouds, when he downscaled his fills and simplified his drumming a lot - maybe he was already tired of the writing process with the DT camp then. But I feel the same about Mangini, three albums in! Mangini´s great triumph and accomplishment was the difference in the bands he´s played with: Anihilator, Extreme, James LaBrie, Steve Vai...now three albums in with DT, I feel he brings nothing new to the table. But maybe that´s just me.

All that being said though, his take on some of the old DT songs is great. For those of you who haven´t seen it, check him out doing Afterlife on the Wacken festival last year, it´s insanely good.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I know very little about drums.

It might just be me but Portnoy's drumming sounds a lot more thumpy than any other drummers'. It's kinda nice. I think it's what got me into DT originally: the thumpy drums and the tone of the Ibanez. Bap bap bap bap

Portnoy's got a really good sound on Live at Budokan.

Edited by Day of Light

Part II of a somewhat disastrous DT gig I attended - third show of the 2014 tour, in Madrid. They had issues with the intro tape, the background footage and some of the pre-recorded parts, and didn´t play Illumination Theory. Notice also the major Mankini mess up in The Dance of Eternity - around 43min58s. On the next show of that tour I had the meet & greet with them (in the small town of Pamplona) and asked them about the technical difficulties of this show. They were notably upset. Petrucci in particular was quite confrontational: "at the end of the show, did you have a nice time?"