Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2011, 08:49 AM)
New DT is good good stuff.
Earl missed the boat.
tongue.gif

Earl doesn't like Dream Theater.(Unless you go back 20 years) Why he bought the record is beyond me?

trink39.gif

Had two hours listening time on the train down to London this morning and I found the DT a bit samey for this kind of shut-the-world-out listening. Opeth's Heritage on the other hand, was near perfect. Far more diverse, interesting and, yes, tasteful.

I give the new DT 5 1/2 out of 10 but it is a step in the right direction.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 14 2011, 09:19 AM)
Earl missed the boat.
tongue.gif

Earl doesn't like Dream Theater.(Unless you go back 20 years) Why he bought the record is beyond me?

trink39.gif

Unfortunately Earl is somewhat of a troll for many things DT related.

from an article in another post

Trolling is described by Oxford Dictionaries Online as an "informal term".

It means to send or submit a provocative email or posting with the intention of inciting an angry response.

Earl's posts here certainly do seem to be antagonistic.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2011, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 14 2011, 09:19 AM)
Earl missed the boat.
tongue.gif

trink39.gif

Unfortunately Earl is somewhat of a troll for many things DT related.

from an article in another post

Trolling is described by Oxford Dictionaries Online as an "informal term".

It means to send or submit a provocative email or posting with the intention of inciting an angry response.

Earl's posts here certainly do seem to be antagonistic.

Yeah, Earl definitely goes for a rise. He aims to invoke emotion and does a good job at it.

I happen to find him a fun poster so I put up with it.

I think he has been hitting the olive oil hard these days. atickhum.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 14 2011, 09:23 AM)
Had two hours listening time on the train down to London this morning and I found the DT a bit samey for this kind of shut-the-world-out listening. Opeth's Heritage on the other hand, was near perfect. Far more diverse, interesting and, yes, tasteful.

Its too bad I can't handle growing vocals or I would probably really love Opeth. They were good live.

Alas, I just can't do the growl.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 13 2011, 04:33 PM)
and where is my man, Metaldad!???!!???
I called him today and have not heard back yet. Its not cool he hasn't been around. Hope its just computer issues.

I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't seen MD around here in awhile now!

Come back Bro! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 14 2011, 09:50 AM)

Its too bad I can't handle growing vocals or I would probably really love Opeth. They were good live.

if the harsh vocals are the only thing keeping you from listening to them, the new album Heritage should be right up your alley. Similarly to Dream Theater, they underwent a drastic turnaround in musical style and direction with the departure of a band member, and the new album has 100% clean vocals. Definitely worth a listen.

The album Damnation is also completely clean, but the entire album has a mellow, smooth tone to it, whereas Heritage keeps a heavier and proggier sound at the same time.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 14 2011, 09:09 AM)

if the harsh vocals are the only thing keeping you from listening to them, the new album Heritage should be right up your alley. Similarly to Dream Theater, they underwent a drastic turnaround in musical style and direction with the departure of a band member, and the new album has 100% clean vocals. Definitely worth a listen.

The album Damnation is also completely clean, but the entire album has a mellow, smooth tone to it, whereas Heritage keeps a heavier and proggier sound at the same time.

You're opinion is rong bc your not old enuf

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 14 2011, 02:50 PM)

Tick, there is no growling on the latest album.

copied from my response in the Opeth thread:

Download and install Spotify then search for these no growl songs:

A Fair Judgement

Burden

Harvest

Isolation Years

To Bid You Farewell

Face Of Melinda

Coil

Porcelain Heart

Hex Omega

The Drapery Falls

Atonement

Hours of Wealth

Death Whispered Lullaby

Credence

Benighted

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 14 2011, 05:16 PM)

Some of the best Collaborators and contributors at Progarchives are under 21. So are some of the very worst. You can't beat experience though and I'm not sure that your snarkiness is well-placed here. Knowledge is not the same as talent, you have to acquire knowledge through learning and experience. So it stands to reason that someone who has been listening to music as a full-time hobby for, say, 30 years might have a more informed opinion than someone who has been listening seriously for a couple of years.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 14 2011, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 14 2011, 05:16 PM)

Some of the best Collaborators and contributors at Progarchives are under 21. So are some of the very worst. You can't beat experience though and I'm not sure that your snarkiness is well-placed here. Knowledge is not the same as talent, you have to acquire knowledge through learning and experience. So it stands to reason that someone who has been listening to music as a full-time hobby for, say, 30 years might have a more informed opinion than someone who has been listening seriously for a couple of years.

I can't help but feel that the sarcasm was missed unsure.gif

I find the new DT to be way more interesting than the new Opeth. The new Opeth is good, but it drags like a bad prog record. There are interesting moments, but you shouldn't have to wait for them to happen during boring interludes.

Metal band making softer music does not equal goodness all the time.

First Impressions... I liked the album... alot... but not loved..

I will preface this by saying my first (and as of this post only so far) listen was with the book and following the lyrics along as the album played, so I had diverted attention...

Standout Tracks are "Breaking All Illusions" and "Build Me Up, Break Me Down" IMO upon first listen....

I like all the other tracks, OTBOA is a good opening track, nothing stellar, but good.. I like the other 2 long tracks "Lost not Forgotten" and "Bridges in the sky" but are not as good as BAI, and both resinated on the same level with me..

Both "This is Life" and "Far From Heaven" work as light breaths of air, in the sea of insanity in between the heaver longer tracks..

Ending the album with a mellower track "Beneath The Surface" works, in a way... If you want to end the album on a somber note instead of a high note, that's fine... and it works.. but this song felt very anticlimatic... it felt like the song was building towards something that never came to fruition ..

The one thing that I have the most criticism for was the song "Outcry"... BOY was this song ALL OVER THE PLACE.... it was too much of a clusterfuck IMO.... I liked the lyrics, but the music changed from insane to mellow, from solo, to verse without any cause or justification... This song IMO sounded like it was a medley of several songs, than a song itself... It kept changing tune musically with no real transition that it felt too complicated.. I won't say this is a bad song, just a very inconsistent one.

Like I said, this is just a first impressions responce to the album, I will need more time to let this sink in..

I want to say that ADTOE has been way more enjoyable right out of the box then BC&SL was. Just felt like saying that.