Black & White Movies

rushgoober

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 2 2005, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 2 2005, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 2 2005, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 2 2005, 07:23 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 1 2005, 11:50 PM)
As for Jack Aubrey... I don't know you or why you got any animosity for Goobs... but starting something like this in a fun forum about trivial matters seems very petty to me.  Oh... did i just offer my opinion on YOUR behavior and persona?  Sorry... shame on ME. 

I thought I was giving Goob what he wanted: a bit of controversy. If he didn't want the response that I gave then maybe he shouldn't have started the thread. I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way. Oh well.

Or maybe he was just offering a different opinion and wanted an ADULT-LIKE discussion about it with ADULTS??????

Look, I was just trying to express my thoughts on the subject. Yes, not being able to relate to a movie for the reasons he stated strikes me as shallow and self-absorbed. It's an open-minded person that can watch any kind of film and judge it on it's own merits. But maybe that's just me.

Also, I was taken aback by the negative tone in his initial post. I mean the guy has a history of going into a forum about X and expressing how much he doesn't like X. If you keep doing that, then one day you are going to encounter dissent. It seems to me that there are more positive ways of expressing oneself. Don't you think?

Also, why is it OK for RushGoober to express a differing opinion, but not me? I was really just trying to start a good debate, it sucks that all of this bullshit happened.

Yeah, you're right. I was in a mood myself i think. I kinda related what happened here to something that happened in a thread of mine once that was strictly for fun and one person made it into something i never had any intention for it to be. In that instance, I wound up getting insulted and kinda felt a bit of empathy for Goobs on this. You are right that it's bullshit, cuz this was Goobs discussion and definitely not mine. I should have kept my mouth shut. I think one of the posts had mentioned that it may have spun over from politics and i had hoped that wasn't the case. It would be sad if you couldn't look past his views on things to see what a funny and great guy he can be. I know that things that make us laugh may not always make others laugh and that causes a bunch of crap on internet communities it seems. Sorry for my hand in contributing to it.

Peace and War (little bitty thread wars)

ken

Thank you. trink39.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I was taken aback by the negative tone in his initial post.

Jack,

At the risk of exasberating something that's already got a little out of hand (and that's not my intention to do so here), maybe it's merely a difference of perspective. Based on this statement above, I went back and read my initial post VERY carefully and I honestly couldn't find anything negative in it. It is purely my opinion and nothing more. I'm not saying older movies or b&w movies are inherently bad in any way, only that I personally (just me) have a hard time relating. I don't perceive that as negative any more than someone saying they have a hard time relating to The Backstreet Boys to be a negative statement. A Backstreet Boys fan might not get how they could miss how wonderful they are and what a fine contribution they were in the world of boy bands, but there was no negativity implied, just that they couldn't relate. Similarly, I didn't mean any negativity of any kind.

Jack, you and I are just people here, I don't have anything against you and I don't want to argue over silly things. We may never be buddies because our world views are too far apart, but I would surmise that we can be at least friendly and cordial, even if we don't see eye to eye on things. Someone recently said to me they didn't see eye to eye on me in a lot of ways. Upon thinking about that more, I thought it was somewhat odd in that I didn't know the person at all and they knew of me only what they saw from my posts. Not to say that my opinions and views aren't a part of me, but they are perhaps only a small part. I have no doubt that if I was to meet you or Digital Man or Earthshine or anyone on this board in person, there's just no reason in the world why we couldn't get along and be friendly, if not outright friends. One thing TRF has truly taught me is that I can become close friends with people who differ from me dramatically in a lot of fundamental ways in terms of our views. I would, and this is just me talking here, suggest though that what it is that connects us all fundamentally as fellow human beings is not our views, opinions, beliefs or even our personalities and manner of expressing, but something deeper that is at the core of who we are all as human beings, and for those who believe like I do in such things, as connected to the same higher power.

Anyway, forgive me for getting all philosophical on your ass, I'm just saying perhaps we can all rise above this. I will do my best to be more tolerant in the way I express my views and opinions and do my best to make it clear when I do have more controversial opinions to state that I am very clear they are just MY opinion, and that I don't expect anyone to agree with them. More than that, that I'm not judging anyone from differing from my opinion. I expressed that in my Mcallan thread and I think people saw I was being sincere and didn't come after me. People can drink, do drugs, own guns, believe that Bush is the best Presdient of all time and do or believe anything they want to that differs from how I do or see things and I won't judge them for it. I may disagree, or even more importantly wouldn't make the same choices for myself, but that's fine. We're all individuals and all have to make the choices that work best for each of us - please don't judge me and I'll try not to judge you. I'd rather use this kind of thread where all this stuff came up to try and learn from it for my own personal growth, not to foster animosity and further unnecessary squabbling. At the end of the day we're all just people doing the best we can in life and we're all Rush fans.

A peace offering,

Gary

yeah it's easy to appreciate the old flicks when someone recommends a good one. plus i find it better to watch a film after reading some critical peices on it yes.gif

personally i love the one about the oakies with henry fonda. what was that one called? GRAPES OF WRATH

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 2 2005, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 1 2005, 04:48 PM)
Goob, so how about foreign films?  Different language, attitudes, etc. BUT it's in color. 
Oh, one of the greatest movies of all time was in black & white and someone already mentioned it:  PSYCHO.

actually i love foreign films and independent films (if they're good!). yes.gif

johnny, is it just me dude, or can you feel the love oozing out of this thread?

peace bro,

gary

Don't know what to tell ya Goob other than that some folks disagree with 'ya and are turned off by some of the things that you write. But it is just script and often than not things are misunderstood, reread and dwelled over, misinterpreted, etc. I wouldn't take it too seriously. In the end, they're all just different opinions anyways, eh? Come to think of it, I don't think you and I have ever agreed on movies or tv shows (especially reality tv programs/I hate those f*ckin' shows! tongue.gif )...but somehow we never got into any kind of argument.

Oh yeah, the thread...2 of my favorite B & W programs: Twilight Zone and the Three Stooges (Curly, Larry, Moe trio only)

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 2 2005, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 2 2005, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 1 2005, 04:48 PM)
Goob, so how about foreign films?  Different language, attitudes, etc. BUT it's in color. 
Oh, one of the greatest movies of all time was in black & white and someone already mentioned it:  PSYCHO.

actually i love foreign films and independent films (if they're good!). yes.gif

johnny, is it just me dude, or can you feel the love oozing out of this thread?

peace bro,

gary

Don't know what to tell ya Goob other than that some folks disagree with 'ya and are turned off by some of the things that you write. But it is just script and often than not things are misunderstood, reread and dwelled over, misinterpreted, etc. I wouldn't take it too seriously. In the end, they're all just different opinions anyways, eh? Come to think of it, I don't think you and I have ever agreed on movies or tv shows (especially reality tv programs/I hate those f*ckin' shows! tongue.gif )...but somehow we never got into any kind of argument.

Oh yeah, the thread...2 of my favorite B & W programs: Twilight Zone and the Three Stooges (Curly, Larry, Moe trio only)

goodpost.gif by the way, "Black & White" movies anyday over today's BS!!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 2 2005, 09:13 PM)

Jack,

At the risk of exasberating something that's already got a little out of hand (and that's not my intention to do so here), maybe it's merely a difference of perspective. Based on this statement above, I went back and read my initial post VERY carefully and I honestly couldn't find anything negative in it. It is purely my opinion and nothing more. I'm not saying older movies or b&w movies are inherently bad in any way, only that I personally (just me) have a hard time relating. I don't perceive that as negative any more than someone saying they have a hard time relating to The Backstreet Boys to be a negative statement. A Backstreet Boys fan might not get how they could miss how wonderful they are and what a fine contribution they were in the world of boy bands, but there was no negativity implied, just that they couldn't relate. Similarly, I didn't mean any negativity of any kind.

Jack, you and I are just people here, I don't have anything against you and I don't want to argue over silly things. We may never be buddies because our world views are too far apart, but I would surmise that we can be at least friendly and cordial, even if we don't see eye to eye on things. Someone recently said to me they didn't see eye to eye on me in a lot of ways. Upon thinking about that more, I thought it was somewhat odd in that I didn't know the person at all and they knew of me only what they saw from my posts. Not to say that my opinions and views aren't a part of me, but they are perhaps only a small part. I have no doubt that if I was to meet you or Digital Man or Earthshine or anyone on this board in person, there's just no reason in the world why we couldn't get along and be friendly, if not outright friends. One thing TRF has truly taught me is that I can become close friends with people who differ from me dramatically in a lot of fundamental ways in terms of our views. I would, and this is just me talking here, suggest though that what it is that connects us all fundamentally as fellow human beings is not our views, opinions, beliefs or even our personalities and manner of expressing, but something deeper that is at the core of who we are all as human beings, and for those who believe like I do in such things, as connected to the same higher power.

Anyway, forgive me for getting all philosophical on your ass, I'm just saying perhaps we can all rise above this. I will do my best to be more tolerant in the way I express my views and opinions and do my best to make it clear when I do have more controversial opinions to state that I am very clear they are just MY opinion, and that I don't expect anyone to agree with them. More than that, that I'm not judging anyone from differing from my opinion. I expressed that in my Mcallan thread and I think people saw I was being sincere and didn't come after me. People can drink, do drugs, own guns, believe that Bush is the best Presdient of all time and do or believe anything they want to that differs from how I do or see things and I won't judge them for it. I may disagree, or even more importantly wouldn't make the same choices for myself, but that's fine. We're all individuals and all have to make the choices that work best for each of us - please don't judge me and I'll try not to judge you. I'd rather use this kind of thread where all this stuff came up to try and learn from it for my own personal growth, not to foster animosity and further unnecessary squabbling. At the end of the day we're all just people doing the best we can in life and we're all Rush fans.

A peace offering,

Gary

Acceptable.

You are welcome in here at any time, just don't get all upset when someone posts a dissenting opinion. It's life, man.

As far as black and white films are concerned, you really owe it to yourself to see this ASAP (maybe you could ask Santa to bring it to you wink.gif ):

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/9940000/9948940.jpg

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 3 2005, 08:42 AM)

Jack,

A peace offering,

Gary

Acceptable.

You are welcome in here at any time, just don't get all upset when someone posts a dissenting opinion. It's life, man.

As far as black and white films are concerned, you really owe it to yourself to see this ASAP (maybe you could ask Santa to bring it to you wink.gif ):

That really is one of THE best films ever made.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 3 2005, 05:42 AM)

Jack,

A peace offering,

Gary

Acceptable.

Cool - thanks, Jack. trink39.gif

I read To Kill A Mockingbird in high school and thought it was a great book, so I'll try and hunt down the movie at some point...

QUOTE (slacker @ Dec 3 2005, 11:18 AM)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/bobwire/index_r2_c3.jpg

This movie was one of my favorites...

Excellent movie, but though Goobs is usually pretty damn thorough, I don't think he means artsy movies that were shot in black and white during the age of color. That's why earlier I mentioned that Raging Bull could not be considered. Isn't the fish in color in Rumble Fish? I forget, but I know something was in color in that movie.

Just as a side offering. My one son thought that the world was in black and white at one point. He mentioned to us the one time at around six years old something about "Is that when the world stopped being in black and white?". Me and my ex damn near died laughing. I had no idea what he meant at first, 'cause I didn't even realize he'd been exposed to black and white television often. Turns out when he was at the grandparents, they would watch older movies and such. This kind of points to Goobs statement about not being able to relate to them. It may just be an age thing. I think that some of the ways of the world and acting styles were just so foreign to me. I don't mind that the film is black and white. That's how the world was back then. laugh.gif

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Dec 3 2005, 02:41 PM)
One of my favorite Black and White movies is..

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b172/shan2112/achristmascarol.jpg

Watch it Every year!  yes.gif

I think I am the only one who does  unsure.gif  biggrin.gif

no your not smile.gif

When it's on i won't turn it off cool10.gif

You know what really sucks? I think I was seven when we got cable. Up until then we were at the mercy of the three networks and PBS. So on the weekends you either had sports or old movies on PBS. So I grew up watching a LOT of black and white movies. So then we get cable and I STILL had to watch them. My mom had me quite late and she loved the older stuff. I can remember her seeing The Godfather and saying that she only liked Brando. Those young guys in the movie would NEVER make it. PACINO... CAAN... Duvalle? laugh.gif

I didn't mind some shows that were on, like Munsters and Addam's Family but I could NOT STAND the real old serials that were on PBS like Shirley Temple movies and Andy Hardy stuff. I would nearly cry when we had to turn off a good football game on Sunday to watch that miserable old crap. laugh.gif And since we now had cable, I also had so much more to watch. None of our local television stations carried ULTRAMAN or JOHNNY SAKO's FLYING ROBOT. I can't tell you how many times I would have to turn off these shows to watch the daily DIALING FOR DOLLARS MOVIE which were nearly always in black and white. I would occassionally enjoy one or two of them once i stopped whining about Ultraman being turned off, but not too often. Yeah... it was before you could split cable. It was also a luxury to have more than one television back then. wink.gif

One of my favorite black and white films of old is the Hustler, starring Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason. It's interesting watching that one, and then watching the Color of Money (not a sequel in the truest sense, but a sequel nonetheless).

Sometimes I like to watch an old movie with my grandparents. My grandmother and I had a good time watching How to Marry a Millionaire awhile back. I think we watched All About Eve, also. They have a perspective that I can't possibly have, and it's always interesting to hear what they have to say.

And my wife has seen tons of old films. She has a great appreciation for them.

Edited by anagramking

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Dec 3 2005, 03:23 PM)
I don't watch movies very much any more. The most recent one I remember in B&W was Pi. What major films in B&W have been released in the 21st century?

As an aside, I don't like colorization. Do you?

At first, I thought it was a cool idea, but now I think it can harm the integrity of the film.

One interesting recent b/w film was Pleasantville. Very cool usage of b/w and color in that movie.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Dec 3 2005, 03:54 PM)
Pleasantville was cool, and a brilliant use of B&W/color. But I mean films that are totally in B&W, and not indie films either. Are there any major Hollywood productions in B&W of late? Bueller?

I knew exactly what you meant. I think that old b/w was intended to be shot in b/w, and should stay that way. I just don't think it always looks right in color.

Pleasantville was irrelevant to what you were saying, just wanted to add it.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 3 2005, 03:16 PM)
One of my favorite black and white films of old is the Hustler, starring Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason.  It's interesting watching that one, and then watching the Color of Money (not a sequel in the truest sense, but a sequel nonetheless). 

Sometimes I like to watch an old movie with my grandparents.  My grandmother and I had a good time watching How to Marry a Millionaire awhile back.  I think we watched All About Eve, also.  They have a perspective that I can't possibly have, and it's always interesting to hear what they have to say.

And my wife has seen tons of old films.  She has a great appreciation for them.

goodpost.gif Hey AGK obvioulsy you married a very "wise woman" yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Dec 3 2005, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 3 2005, 03:16 PM)
One of my favorite black and white films of old is the Hustler, starring Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason.  It's interesting watching that one, and then watching the Color of Money (not a sequel in the truest sense, but a sequel nonetheless). 

Sometimes I like to watch an old movie with my grandparents.  My grandmother and I had a good time watching How to Marry a Millionaire awhile back.  I think we watched All About Eve, also.  They have a perspective that I can't possibly have, and it's always interesting to hear what they have to say.

And my wife has seen tons of old films.  She has a great appreciation for them.

goodpost.gif Hey AGK obvioulsy you married a very "wise woman" yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks, trout. I certainly did.