What is the ideal album sequence?

What is the ideal sequence of tracks on an album. How many, what kinds, where do they go? Maybe it’s best to use examples. I think my platonic ideal of album design right now is this:

cover.jpg

• Like 1

Metal, metal, metal, metal, metal, metal and metal. Then a little bit of metal, a little bit more metal and then finish with some metal. And maybe a metal track slotted in there too.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Metal, metal, metal, metal, metal, metal and metal. Then a little bit of metal, a little bit more metal and then finish with some metal. And maybe a metal track slotted in there too.

• Haha 3

Oops, Ok, back on topic. :laugh:  Great question, EP!   Born to Run is a really good one, as someone that grew up with vinyl "albums" ; I always appreciated when they were arranged so that you could listen straight through at least one side;  not too many fast or slower songs in a row and not what seems to happen on a lot of rushed records, a bunch of lousy songs with one hit or whatever.  The first one I can think of is "Who's Next", its a great album and that's part of it.  Loved it when I was younger and later on read that this also was supposed to be a rock opera that just never came together, but it makes sense that the song order would be thought about a lot and sequenced well if that was the case.

Qt9QkxBl.png

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 6

Rumors by Fleetwood Mac is another great album with excellent sequencing for whatever reason; there's a whole book about the album in our public library but I've never gotten around to reading it.

dCsN8Gtl.png

• Like 3

I like when albums begin with something punchy, then run through the gears, changing tempos and pacing, creating dynamism with a sense of ebb and flow, building to something summative and maybe a little melancholy (the album is over, after all). My all-time favorite album closer is Pink Floyd's "High Hopes," but the rest of that album doesn't have enough variation to really be a good example.  I do think Clockwork Angels works well, but what can top . . .

RUSH Power Windows Back

• Like 3

12 hours ago, blueschica said:

Oops, Ok, back on topic. :laugh:  Great question, EP!   Born to Run is a really good one, as someone that grew up with vinyl "albums" ; I always appreciated when they were arranged so that you could listen straight through at least one side;  not too many fast or slower songs in a row and not what seems to happen on a lot of rushed records, a bunch of lousy songs with one hit or whatever.  The first one I can think of is "Who's Next", its a great album and that's part of it.  Loved it when I was younger and later on read that this also was supposed to be a rock opera that just never came together, but it makes sense that the song order would be thought about a lot and sequenced well if that was the case.

Qt9QkxBl.png

Oh yes! This is definitely one of the best! Can’t believe I didn’t think of it sooner! I love how it treats the end of side 1 and the start of side 2 especially.

• Like 2

I'll say Boston's debut album.  I remember when I first heard the 8track version with a different song order.  :thumbsdown:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, custom55 said:

53669919347_58612af2be.jpg

53669919832_2bf7e84e99.jpg

Yes, this is a great example!  Back when artists actually thought about sequencing.   :smile:

• Like 1