A Hill To Die On: What top Rush hit do you hate?

Weatherman

33 minutes ago, goose said:

If one considers poetry nonsense.  I think it  fits nicely within the context of the larger lyric.  :smile:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -

I took the one less traveled by, 

The road is, the road is, 

Love and life being deep made all the difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:27 PM, Maverick said:

The Garden 

Losing It

Resist

Not really hits with the general public, but much beloved amongst most Rush fans. I dislike the second and third songs. I outright hate the first. We're talking Sith Lord level hate. 

Same on the Garden.  Pretty much all of Clockwork Angels is overrated IMO as I just can't listen to much of it.  

Resist is crummy as well.  

Edited by MrMan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MrMan said:

Same on the Garden.  Pretty much all of Clockwork Angels is overrated IMO as I just can't listen to much of it.  

Resist is crummy as well.  

i had hilarious moment abut a decade ago.  i initially loved the garden (one of the few i liked on CA) then one day i'm playing it.  As it's playing my brain just goes.

"this song kinda sucks!!!!!!"

:laugh:

never looked back, lol

Mick

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, 78jazz said:

The Camera Eye.

There, I said it.

:pirate:

Oh...we missed you in the Super Bowl thread.  :tongue:

Is there someone here that really hate a Rush song? Give me 4 minutes of silence with a note of guitar and I am satisfied. Rush don't do Hits but the band is a big homerun...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rugen said:

Is there someone here that really hate a Rush song? Give me 4 minutes of silence with a note of guitar and I am satisfied. Rush don't do Hits but the band is a big homerun...

I'd rather have the four minutes of silence than listen to Virtuality or Dog Years again

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 1:46 PM, 78jazz said:

The Camera Eye.

There, I said it.

Hm. The production quality is SO good on MP that the song itself may not actually be as good as we'd like to think.

Like, imagine The Camera Eye on RTB, sounding like it was recorded inside a PVC pipe. Would we still like it as much? Food for thought. 

(OTOH: Bravado is such a strong song that it overcomes the crummy production. Imagine Bravado recorded on MP.)

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 11:11 AM, Union 5-3992 said:

I'd rather have the four minutes of silence than listen to Virtuality or Dog Years again

Virtuality i still enjoy but dog years i don't have a great memory of that one. " hate" is not the proper word. But if I have to pick hits that I don't want to listen again is "Limelight". "Tom Sawyer and "Subdvisions" which I consider good songs but like any other kind of music,  you need to explore others songs.

On 4/23/2024 at 11:11 AM, Union 5-3992 said:

or Neurotica

Rush has some shit songs.

let's not pretend here, lol

Mick

• Haha 2

On 4/23/2024 at 1:55 PM, Weatherman said:

Imagine Bravado recorded on MP.

Given Geddy's voice at that time, we may perceive that song different. Put it on Counterparts and I think it would be rockin'!

I think with TCE, if it were recorded the way it was played on the Signals tour, it would be much more enjoyable.

Lol this is bit weird for a truly hardened rush head like me, like i've heard every rush album and every track on them probably hundreds of times but, i listened to Halo Effect once - and decided never to listen to it again. Don't have it on any devices isn't included in my CA playlist i just refused to listen to it ever again.

The album CA only rush album for me that disappointed in quite a large part, half of it exceptional up there with the very best rush and the other half just sub standard to say the least, Halo Effect being the prime example of it.

Sidenote, the brilliant half of CA written before they went on tour and the sub half after, like they slipped too far out of the groove but nevermind, the great half was more than enough

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 1:46 PM, bytor11 said:

I'll never understand the love for this album. A band who, over the course of their career, espoused never looking back musically, made an album that is so full of rehashed music and story (its a terrible re-make of the 2112, Kevin J Anderson is widely considered a hack) and it's topped off with Geddy singing waaaaaay out of range. I like a few songs from it but for the most part, its a big nope from me.

This.  This times a thousand.  It's such a disappointing album, I couldn't believe that they (particularly Neil) suddenly wanted to make a fantasy concept album after spending their entire careers distancing themselves from that stuff.

2112 is juvenile, but it gets away with it because the people who wrote it were juveniles, and what it lacks in depth and sophistication it makes up for with passion and fire.

There's no excuse for Clockwork Angels.  It's juvenile, but without the passion and fire.  It's just a dull, sophomoric concept buried under some spectacularly awful production.  It sounds like Rush doing a Coheed and Cambria impression (who are themselves doing an impression of Rush circa 1976).

The reason I'm still listening to Rush in 2024 is because Neil's lyrics from about 1980 onwards really had something worthwhile to say.  He spent three decades digging into the human condition, and even though he didn't always succeed, he also came up with little bits of truth and stashed them inside gems like Time Stand Still, Subdivisions, Between the Wheels, Natural Science, Mission, Bravado, Marathon, Animate, Earthshine, Middletown Dreams, Vapor Trail, Available Light, Mystic Rhythms, Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Secret Touch, Far Cry, Totem, etc.  That's some Grade A, top flight shit right there, and I'll put it up against the best of Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, or any other lyricist.

And then he somehow comes up with "A goddess with wings on her heels".  :puke:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lifeson90 said:

Lol this is bit weird for a truly hardened rush head like me, like i've heard every rush album and every track on them probably hundreds of times but, i listened to Halo Effect once - and decided never to listen to it again. Don't have it on any devices isn't included in my CA playlist i just refused to listen to it ever again.

The album CA only rush album for me that disappointed in quite a large part, half of it exceptional up there with the very best rush and the other half just sub standard to say the least, Halo Effect being the prime example of it.

Sidenote, the brilliant half of CA written before they went on tour and the sub half after, like they slipped too far out of the groove but nevermind, the great half was more than enough

I'm not sure there is a brilliant half.  It has about five songs that I think are okay: Headlong Flight, The Wreckers, Seven Cities of Gold, The Anarchist, and The Garden.  I wouldn't put any of them up there with the true classics, though; on any other album, they'd be the filler.  Lyrically they do absolutely nothing for me because they're all part of some daft fantasy story about a teenage boy.

I guess The Garden has some nice lines in it, it's the closest thing on the album to an actual Rush song, lyrically speaking, but it doesn't move me the way it seems to move others...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

This.  This times a thousand.  It's such a disappointing album, I couldn't believe that they (particularly Neil) suddenly wanted to make a fantasy concept album after spending their entire careers distancing themselves from that stuff.

2112 is juvenile, but it gets away with it because the people who wrote it were juveniles, and what it lacks in depth and sophistication it makes up for with passion and fire.

There's no excuse for Clockwork Angels.  It's juvenile, but without the passion and fire.  It's just a dull, sophomoric concept buried under some spectacularly awful production.  It sounds like Rush doing a Coheed and Cambria impression (who are themselves doing an impression of Rush circa 1976).

The reason I'm still listening to Rush in 2024 is because Neil's lyrics from about 1980 onwards really had something worthwhile to say.  He spent three decades digging into the human condition, and even though he didn't always succeed, he also came up with little bits of truth and stashed them inside gems like Time Stand Still, Subdivisions, Between the Wheels, Natural Science, Mission, Bravado, Marathon, Animate, Earthshine, Middletown Dreams, Vapor Trail, Available Light, Mystic Rhythms, Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Secret Touch, Far Cry, Totem, etc.  That's some Grade A, top flight shit right there, and I'll put it up against the best of Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, or any other lyricist.

And then he somehow comes up with "A goddess with wings on her heels".  :puke:

sounds weird to say but i'm glad some anti-CA sentiment is on here now.

but in 2012 This place was such a CA circle jerk.  i had just joined here but i'd been a fan aa long time.  HATEC CA and thought "surly fans hear this for what it is"  only to find i was a minority, lol.

I couldn't get  it couldn't hear the magic.  The Production....after Vapor Trails was and is inexcusable.  The story as you said....for Aa band even in the 90's was ever evolving......sent us back to sci-fi drivel.

The songs just weren't there either.  i've heard.  "Well if the production was better you'd love it"  uh........that's a cop out.  no i wouldn't lol.

"you'll like it in a few years"

it's been 12..........and i have played in on and off since........still feel like this.:puke:

so  maybe it's me, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Time Stand Still - can't get that cheesy video out of my mind when I hear it. 

Mystic Rhythms - sounds like it belongs on Miami Vice, with Crockett and Tubbs racing through Miami late at night.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I'm not sure there is a brilliant half.  It has about five songs that I think are okay: Headlong Flight, The Wreckers, Seven Cities of Gold, The Anarchist, and The Garden.  I wouldn't put any of them up there with the true classics, though; on any other album, they'd be the filler.  Lyrically they do absolutely nothing for me because they're all part of some daft fantasy story about a teenage boy.

I guess The Garden has some nice lines in it, it's the closest thing on the album to an actual Rush song, lyrically speaking, but it doesn't move me the way it seems to move others...

Yeah just to clarify the awesome tracks for me are Caravan BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight and the Garden. Those four as good as anything the band ever did for me and BU2B has something even more unique and powerful - avant garde even for rush

A couple others are good but sacrifice quality to fit into the longer storyline imo, shoulda been more simple like 2112 etc but is what it is and i can't argue with how the guys approached it as they demi gods of their trade of course

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 9:05 PM, HemiBeers said:

Time Stand Still - can't get that cheesy video out of my mind when I hear it. 

Mystic Rhythms - sounds like it belongs on Miami Vice, with Crockett and Tubbs racing through Miami late at night.  

Last year I showed my new young wife (who doesn't know Rush at all) the video for Time Stand Still.

She laughed at it. I do too, honestly.

BUT she liked the song more when I played it without the video, in the car. We listened to most of HYF and she really liked Turn the Page, esp the prechorus ("Every day we're standing in a wind tunnel"). 

• Like 2