2023 College Basketball thread

laughedatbytime

2 minutes ago, goose said:

The illegal extension of the screen  prevented the defender from getting over the top.  It was a good call, and one that was made earlier in the game. :confused:

Right, but the timing of the call seemed iffy to me, like if they didn't call it at that point in the game would Iowa have complained? Not sure.

8 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Right, but the timing of the call seemed iffy to me, like if they didn't call it at that point in the game would Iowa have complained? Not sure.

That UConn player was called on the same move earlier in the game, so it was dumb for her to do it a second time, especially in that moment.  

Scott Van Pelt was complaining about the call, but I disagree.  The screen didn't just involved a hip outside the player's  frame, rather there was full elbow contact high and outside.  Pretty easy call, really.

UConn's Nika Muhl did a great job shadowing Caitlyn Clark.  That was a smart game plan, assigning a top defender to Clark with no help responsibility.  I was surprised that Iowa didn't seem prepared for that, that their offense didn't include more screening to free Clark up.  Clark seemed to have to do most of the work herself.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, goose said:

UConn's Nika Muhl did a great job shadowing Caitlyn Clark.  That was a smart game plan, assigning a top defender to Clark with no help responsibility.  I was surprised that Iowa didn't seem prepared for that, that their offense didn't include more screening to free Clark up.  Clark seemed to have to do most of the work herself.

Andraya Catrer showed in the pregame how Muhl defended in her last game, and she shadowed Clark in the exact same way tonight. You'd have to think the Iowa coaches knew it was coming, I don't know what gameplan they could have come up with to combat that. Muhl is just relentless on D.

Give credit to the other Iowa players, they picked up the slack while Clark had Muhl all over her.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goose said:

The illegal extension of the screen prevented the defender from getting over the top.  It was a good call, and one that was made earlier in the game. :confused:

Just like an offensive lineman getting busted for holding on 4th & goal during the last minute in the playoffs.  Whether it's an easy call or a BS ticky-tack call, you don't give the ref the opportunity.    

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

if they didn't call it at that point in the game would Iowa have complained? Not sure.

Based on the way the Iowa player threw her head back like she'd been shot, she was definitely trying to create a decision there, so if it had gone the other way, my money would be on some complaining.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Based on the way the Iowa player threw her head back like she'd been shot, she was definitely trying to create a decision there, so if it had gone the other way, my money would be on some complaining.

There must be something about that head jerking back that players think works because they all, men and women, seem to do it. IMO, college basketball players, at least the men, are some of the worst actors in the world. The get hit, fall to the floor and writhe around like they have a compound fracture then go out for 1 play only to get back in and play normally. Frauds.

Edited by BastillePark
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Just like an offensive lineman getting busted for holding on 4th & goal during the last minute in the playoffs.  Whether it's an easy call or a BS ticky-tack call, you don't give the ref the opportunity.    

They blew a 12pt lead, which has got to sting.  Sometimes the better team doesn't win, and I think that was the case here.

• Like 2

NC St not fully capitalizing on opportunities...but the 3-pter they just hit is a step in the right direction.   Purdue lead is just seven midway through the second half.

13 minutes ago, goose said:

NC St not fully capitalizing on opportunities...but the 3-pter they just hit is a step in the right direction.   Purdue lead is just seven midway through the second half.

And Purdue goes on a 12-1 run.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, goose said:

Sometimes the better team doesn't win

One of the Top 10 Truths of all team sports!  

• Like 2

This kind of take on the late-game illegal screen call strikes me as silly:

"Whether it was the right call or not – replays did seem to show Aaliyah Edwards threw her elbow at Gabbie Marshall on a screen-rescreen, and her stance was considerably wider than her shoulders, which is not allowed – is largely irrelevant.

Players play the game. They should get the chance to decide it, too."

What does that mean?  Suspend the rules for the final minute if the game is close?  Refs should, and will, overlook violations that don't really impact play, but the UConn foul wasn't one of those.  Down one, does goving Buecker get an undeserved  wide open constitute letting the players decide the game?  I don't think so.  A defensive player should have an equal opportunity to determine a game's outcome.

The author concludes, "...there’s at least the perception that the referees affected the outcome of the game."  Well, not calling an obvious foul DOES affect the outcome of a game.

Edited by goose

10 hours ago, goose said:

This kind of take on the late-game illegal screen call strikes me as silly:

"Whether it was the right call or not – replays did seem to show Aaliyah Edwards threw her elbow at Gabbie Marshall on a screen-rescreen, and her stance was considerably wider than her shoulders, which is not allowed – is largely irrelevant.

Players play the game. They should get the chance to decide it, too."

What does that mean?  Suspend the rules for the final minute if the game is close?  Refs should, and will, overlook violations that don't really impact play, but the UConn foul wasn't one of those.  Down one, does goving Buecker get an undeserved  wide open constitute letting the players decide the game?  I don't think so.  A defensive player should have an equal opportunity to determine a game's outcome.

The author concludes, "...there’s at least the perception that the referees affected the outcome of the game."  Well, not calling an obvious foul DOES affect the outcome of a game.

Preach, brother! Yes; if it's a foul in the first minute, it's a foul in the last minute.

• Like 1

Imagine all officials in all team sports making the announcement:  "We will no longer call fouls in the last minute of all games."  

Imagine how games would end.  My guess is that they would end chaotically.  :ohmy:   Wouldn't that be entertaining..... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Leanne said:

Halftime almost over. Second half will be interesting to see!

SC has depth.  9 vs 5 is one hell of an advantage.

Just now, BastillePark said:

The woman playing center for SC with all the reddish hair looks like a drag performer.

Girl is a beast!  6'7".

SC started the game with her setting screens at the top of the key :blink:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Imagine all officials in all team sports making the announcement:  "We will no longer call fouls in the last minute of all games."  

Imagine how games would end.  My guess is that they would end chaotically.  :ohmy:   Wouldn't that be entertaining..... 

JCR.jpg

• Like 1

Good job Iowa!! They had a great season.

Edited by Leanne
  • Like 1

SC was +26 in rebounds.  Should have won by 20, lol.

Lead scorer?  Caitlin Clark with 30 :notworthy:

• Like 2

South Carolina Bench Players:  4 players, 75 total minutes, 28 points

Iowa Bench Players:  2 players, 18 total minutes, zero points

• Like 1