On a forum dedicated to music and three exceptional musicians, there's no thread on music's biggest night, the Grammys?

laughedatbytime

It's not that she's not good, it's just typical Grammy's that she was in that category. Though I will admit I don't really understand how thGrammy's work, is it so.ething to do with sales?

11 minutes ago, Laurabw said:

It's not that she's not good, it's just typical Grammy's that she was in that category. Though I will admit I don't really understand how thGrammy's work, is it so.ething to do with sales?

Grammy’s are chosen by some select board of elite music biz people. They sometimes choose based on sales, sometimes based on their own PR concerns, and rarely based on actual musical impact.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Even if they had awesome acts all around, I still wouldn't watch because of that Corden wanker.  Ferguson to him is the BIGGEST downgrade in late night ever.  Colbert is the only one I give a damn about now since GOAT Conan retired.

I highly recommend Craig's "American on Purpose" book as well.

Conan O'Brien is the "greatest of all time?"  Better than David Letterman?  No way.

14 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

No need to feel bad if you don’t get something. I don’t really get K-Pop

But you're certainly closer in age to people who do.  You're absolutely right, there is always an element of complete subjective taste regardless of the consumer's age.  But I do think that there's a reason that the people who saw Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour in 1984 and the people who saw them on the Stadium Tour in 2022 are, for the most part, the same people, just 40ish years older.  Pop (popular) music is really targeted at the young.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Conan O'Brien is the "greatest of all time?"  Better than David Letterman?  No way.

It's an easier, more defensible argument to make than that Stephen Colbert is worth a nanosecond of thought.

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Grammy’s are chosen by some select board of elite music biz people. They sometimes choose based on sales, sometimes based on their own PR concerns, and rarely based on actual musical impact.

Sounds pretty close to the morons who pick the nominees for the RNRHOF.

"Critics, can't even float, just stand on the shore and wave at the boat"-Ben Sidran.

22 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I wouldn’t call her a virtuoso and I had to go digging for this, but she can play. She’s got a bachelor’s degree in classical flute performance.

As for the comments about great singers being a dime a dozen, check out YouTube or Instagram and you’ll find virtuoso guitarists and bassists and drummers are also in overstock. They just don’t get Grammys. 

It's become a side show and after watching it a couple of years ago (when they gave too many Grammys to Billie Ellish :puke:) I don't care to watch it anymore.   I don't get why Lizzo has to act so stupid when she is a talented flautist and knows music.  It just seems like everything is dumbed down and few can actually perform competently.  Beyonce has a voice and actually sings but I have never been able to enjoy her music and that's just me.  I still think it was a crime that H.E.R. did not get a Grammy in 2020, she's got a beautiful voice and can play a mean guitar and other instruments.  It is like you said, so many talented musicians don't get publicity while the exhibitionists are on display on national t.v.   :rantoff:

I checked and glad to see H.E.R. has been recognized since then (Emmy and Academy Awards :yes:) so there's something

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2