Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night Flight Orchestra-Internal Affairs (10/10)

Segue turned me onto this band unfortunatly i only like this debut but if you like classic Rock mixed with AOR this is a good tribyre they mix like.

Heart

Boston

Zep

Beatles

Toto

Steely Dan

Bad Company

all into one and it's fukking awesome.

But Sadly all their good stuff is on this one album for me.  after this they (kinda abruptly) shifted to 80's synth-pop and.......i like this first version way better.

Mick

Monday-Friday:

Four Year Strong - Explains It All (Vinyl)

Four Year Strong - Enemy Of The World (Re-recorded) (Vinyl)

Four Year Strong - In Some Way, Shape Or Form

Four Year Strong - Go Down In History (EP)

Four Year Strong - Four Year Strong (Vinyl)

Four Year Strong - Brain Pain (Vinyl)

Four Year Strong - Some Of You Will Like This, Some Of You Won’t

Between You & Me - SH!T YEAH (EP)

Worked from home for part of the day today (my 94 year old mom had a dr's appt - normally she could go with dad but he is about to turn 97 (yes, they both actually still drive a tiny bit) and is recovering from a fall and pneumonia so I had to take some time to take her).  But while I worked it was back to the moving box's again.  First vinyl out:

Deep Purple - Deepest Purple: The Very Best of Deep Purple

Good voter art.  As for the music, its a Deep Purple greatest hits album.  Nuff said.  Moving on, next out of the box:

Bon Jovi - 7800 Fahrenheit

Not a big Bon Jovi fan and I only own the first 3 albums they did.  This has "In and Out Of Love".  Besides that I could not tell you any of the songs on it.  Furthermore, "In and Out Of Love" is not (IMO) as good as Runaway from their first album and its not close to Wanted Dead Or Alive or Living On A Prayer from the 3rd album.  Or even You Give Love A Bad Name from the 3rd album (I rank that as a considerably weaker song  then the first 2 from the 3rd album I mentioned and it may not even be as good as Runaway).  But somehow I find this to be the most satisfying of the 3 albums.  Somehow this album fits together better than the other 2 albums.  Basically I find all the songs on this album mesh together - that is not the case on the first or 3rd albums.  BTW - Rush are the masters of making an album that is greater than the sum of its parts.  Almost every Rush album was greater than the sum of its parts  - and those parts were very, very, very good.  Thats one of the reasons why Rush is so awesome (IMO).  So this album was kind of enjoyable background music.  Next out of the box:

GTR - GTR

Don't know if anybody remembers this group.  Steve Howe of Yes and Asia & Steve Hackett of Genesis were the big names in the group.  I think this is the only album this group ever did.  I found it because I was in college in Rochester NY when the album came out and the local radio station played a couple of the songs.  I heard them, liked them and picked up the album.  Played it a lot back in the day (esp, side 1) but its been a long time since I played it a lot.  Side 2 I remember I only played back in the 1980's.  So what did I think?  Side 1 is still very good.  "When The Heart Rules The Mind", "The Hunter", "Here I Wait", "Sketches In The Sun" (an instrumental) and "Jekyll & Hyde" are all enjoyable  - esp. the first 2.  Those 2 songs are quite good.  So side 1 is defiantly worth listening to.  Side 2, well lets put this way, listening to it reminded me why I have not listed to it since the 1980's.  It sounds sort of like 1980's techno pop all to often - at least to my ears.  But like I said, side 1 is very good.  Also, good album cover art.  Next out of the box:

Judas Priest - Priest...Live

I first saw Priest on the Ram It Down tour and at that point I only owned Turbo.  I mostly went to the show to see Cinderella who opened for Priest.  BTW - Cinderella was amazing and Priest blew them off the stage.  To this day its the 2nd best show I have seen (supposed only by Rush on the VT tour).  So after this amazing show I went out and started to pick up Priest works.  On of the first things I picked up was this album.  I was just amazed at the time how good of a live album it was on top of the amazing live show I had recently seen.  To this day this is still one of my very favorite live albums.  I was sitting here answering EM's and going "oooooo yeah" with the crowd as Rob warned them up b4 "You've Got another thing Coming".  Excellent album.  Last out of the box:

John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow

I only own 3 JCM albums (this, American Fool & Uh-Huh).  After this one I lost interest in his work.  But this is the best of the 3.  It starts with the title track which is among my top 10 all time non-Rush songs.  it got some airplay but I think it should have been a monster hit.  Then it has "Small Town" which is very good and was a hit.  Then their is "Minutes to Memories".  Why this was never released as a single is beyond me.  Its almost a good as the title track.  It would not be in my top 10 all time non Rush songs but it would be some where between 11  - 20.  Then you get "Lonely O'l Night" which is enjoyable and was a hit.  The rest of the album is nothing special.  It does have "R.O.C. K. In The USA" which was a hit and is decent but not close to the other songs I mentioned.  Some of the other songs have good lyrics but they are just not good songs.  But the title track and Minutes to Memories are just awesome.  Can't say enough good things about them.

BTW - if you want to know my top 10 non-Rush songs they would be:

10.   Which Side are you On - Pete Seeger

9.     Rocking In The Free World - Neil Young

8.     Fortunate Son - CCR

7.    Born In The USA - Bruce

6.    Rain on the Scarecrow - JCM

5.   Cult of Personality - Living Color

4.   Balls to the Wall - Accept

3.   The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot 

2.   Leaving On A Jet Plane - Peter Paul & Merry

1.   Eve of Destruction - Barry McGuire (all the way back to about 1967 for that one)

• Like 3

Tremonti- A Dying Machine

Tremonti- Dust

I had an urge to play A Dying Machine. Wow, I forgot what a brilliant album it is!

Dust is my second favourite. 

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Testament- The Legacy

Testament- The New Order

I don't know why I love Testament but mostly get bored with other thrash bands. I hear...I HEAR...how close they sound to Metallica, I simply think they appeal to me more.

Testament, Anthrax and Megadeth...I get the love for these three.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Testament- The Legacy

Testament- The New Order

I don't know why I love Testament but mostly get bored with other thrash bands. I hear...I HEAR...how close they sound to Metallica, I simply think they appeal to me more.

Testament, Anthrax and Megadeth...I get the love for these three.

see megadeth is the only thrash band i see no appeal in.  Anthrax?  i get but i don't really like.

Metallica early stuff is great...late is iffy.  and Testament is the reverse.  not really into early albums.  but their most recent output? yes all day.

but to be fair Thrash is not my fav anyway.

Mick

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

see megadeth is the only thrash band i see no appeal in.  Anthrax?  i get but i don't really like.

Metallica early stuff is great...late is iffy.  and Testament is the reverse.  not really into early albums.  but their most recent output? yes all day.

but to be fair Thrash is not my fav anyway.

Mick

We seem to be the same with thrash...we love what we love then...Dust 🤣

• Haha 1

Sanctity- Road To Bloodshed

This 2007 debut sounds exactly like it Trivium and Testament merged into one. I bought this album after seeing the metal press get super excited for this really bold debut. It's a fantastic album...and it's truly sad it's the only Sanctity album to date, because if this is where they started they could have soared.

I know one of the guitarists is now in Machine Head, so that's good.

J2112YYZ, Mick...this is such a good album to give a chance if you love metal with big hooks! 

Lacuna Coil- Shallow Life

Lacuna Coil- Dark Adrenaline 

Lacuna Coil- Broken Crown Halo

Lacuna Coil- Delirium

In Flames- Reroute To Remain 

• Like 1

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City

Vampire Weekend - Contra

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil- Dark Adrenaline

Paradise Lost- Paradise Lost

In Flames- Come Clarity

These three albums all represent a band going somewhat back to basics after a genre shift. And you know what, these are three of my fave albums in general.

Lacuna Coil- Broken Crown Halo

• Like 1

Pearl Jam- Yield

• Like 1

Pearl Jam- Binaural

• Like 1

Crowded House- Crowded House

• Like 1

Mastodon- Remission

Mastodon- Call Of The Mastodon

Mastodon- Leviathan

I adore Call Of The Mastodon. Sure, its a early compilation, but the album to me is essentially a full length Mastodon release. This trilogy of sludgy, excitingly full throttle metal is exceptional. 

• Like 2

Vampire Weekend - Only God Was Above Us

Dig it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

Love their debut album

Oh I haven’t spun that one in years. A-Punk and Oxford Comma are classics I do remember!

• Like 2