Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

7 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Yeah that's a classic, it's my #2 TULL album.

Number one?

I like A Passion Play a lot

• Like 3

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Number one?

I like A Passion Play a lot

Thick as a Brick, but A Passion Play is up there somewhere too. I need to get the deluxe box set for that one though it's out of print at the minute.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Lady Gaga has three albums better than the latest Lukather.

And well...she kinda has become a legend.

What are your top 10 bands these days?

Mine would be pretty predictable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I was looking through my Triumph albums and I discovered I have eleven, but which ones are they?

my guess is all studio except Edge of Excess, Stages, and Classics (or Hits Remixed)

13 minutes ago, treeduck said:

What are your top 10 bands these days?

Mine would be pretty predictable.

Rush

UFO

Machine Head

Testament

Fleetwood Mac

Pearl Jam

Rhapsody Of Fire 

Blind Guardian

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush

UFO

Machine Head

Testament

Fleetwood Mac

Pearl Jam

Rhapsody Of Fire 

Blind Guardian

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

I didn't expect UFO in there. I didn't know you liked Fleetwood Mac that much, or Blind Guardian.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ST3V said:

my guess is all studio except Edge of Excess, Stages, and Classics (or Hits Remixed)

All studio except for Edge of Excess and Stages as you said, but the other one is Live at the US Festival. 

• Like 1

I was going to do a top 10 bands list but it turned into a top 28! :laugh:

The top 5 are pretty much neck and neck.

Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Rush
Jethro Tull
Deep Purple
Kansas
Rainbow
Thin Lizzy
Queen
The Beatles
Symphony X
Van Halen
ZZ Top
Megadeth
YES
Opeth
TOTO
Dio
AC/DC
Ozzy Osbourne
Uriah Heep

Overkill
Whitesnake
KISS
Gentle Giant
Iron Maiden

Testament

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I didn't expect UFO in there. I didn't know you liked Fleetwood Mac that much, or Blind Guardian.

I adore Blind Guardian. And FM are a band I love more and more and more.

Bands that missed out but are worthy of mentioning are Iced Earth, In Flames and Toto.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I adore Blind Guardian. And FM are a band I love more and more and more.

Bands that missed out but are worthy of mentioning are Iced Earth, In Flames and Toto.

What about DIO??

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I was going to do a top 10 bands list but it turned into a top 28! :laugh:

The top 5 are pretty much neck and neck.

Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Rush
Jethro Tull
Deep Purple
Kansas
Rainbow
Thin Lizzy
Queen
The Beatles
Symphony X
Van Halen
ZZ Top
Megadeth
YES
Opeth
TOTO
Dio
AC/DC
Ozzy Osbourne
Uriah Heep

Overkill
Whitesnake
KISS
Gentle Giant
Iron Maiden

Testament

I love a lot of these! Symphony X are a growing favourite. So far I own their first four albums.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, treeduck said:

What about DIO??

I really try but I never click with Dio. Amazing voice but the songs...have yet to click with me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush

UFO

Machine Head

Testament

Fleetwood Mac

Pearl Jam

Rhapsody Of Fire 

Blind Guardian

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

If you don't mind I would like to jump in on the top 10 bands question.  Its funny it would be asked since I was thinking about it recently.

First of all, if this was phrased as "who would win a marathon", the answer is Rush.  For me Rush would be so far out in front that they would have just taken it easy down the stretch and finished without a band in sight.  Which they sort of did as their last 5 albums include 1 total dog (VT), 1 album full of covers (interesting in a way but I prefer original Rush), a couple of sort of ok albums (T4E & CA) and 1 very strong album (S &A).  Not an awesome collection.  The fact that they are so far out in front is a testament to how strong their work was otherwise.

In second place would be Nightwish.  They used to be equally as far in front of the 3rd place bands as Rush was in front of them but their last album was a real stumble.  Still, a decent lead over the 3rd place bands.  Note - I have not had the chance to listen to any of the side projects that Floor, Marco or Thomas have done so I am not including their work.  If I ever get the chance to listen to them I will and I would likely include that work with Nightwish.  Tarja's solo work I don't include with Nightwish's work when considering Nightwish's ranking.  But since I am not thrilled by it it would not materially impact them anyway.

3rd place is a tight pack of several bands running together.  Basically will be an interesting sprint to the finish for them and I won't try to figure out an order.  The bands include:

The Who (including the solo work by the groups members but the only album that adds real value is Roger Daltrey's Under a Raging Moon - the title track is awesome and "After The Fire"" is a good song)

Judas Priest (including KK Downing's Priest (their album had some ok songs) and Rob Halford's solo work (no real added value although the live album he put out was good)

Iron Maiden (including Bruce's solo work - Tattooed Millionaire had a number of very good songs (esp. the title track and Born in 58) & Including Steve Harris side Project British Lion (some ok stuff there).

Symphony X - I have actually only listened to their catalog once (that was this last winter) and I was blown away.  Need to listen again.  Esp like The Odyssey.

Blind Guardian - I am including the 3 Demons & Wizards albums here as Hansi sings lead for both groups and wrote the lyrics for D & W 

After that pack their is 3 bands running together within striking distance of the 3rd place pack.  These 3 bands (in no order) are:

Journey - I am including the solo work of Steve Perry (no added value, Street Talk was a terrible album) and Bad English as it was basically Journey in the 90's minus Steve Perry.

CCR including the solo work of John Fogerty (Centerfield was an excellent album)

Triummph

That gets me to 10 bands.

I will add the next pack of bands that is within striking distance of the last 3 bands.  This pack includes (in no order):

Bryan Adams - his Cuts Like A Knife & Reckless albums are awesome.  Not much otherwise

Heart - ST is an awesome album and enough other songs (here and there) to get the into this pack  But basically its their ST album that gets them here

Def Leopard - High N Dry and Pyromania get them here.  A little value added from On Through The Night, Adrenalize and Hysteria but again, its basically 2 albums that get them here

Savatage - Hall of The Mountain King & Streets get them here.  Some added value from Power Of The Night, Fight For The Rock, Sirens and a little here and their.  But again, its basically 2 albums

Dokken - Tooth and Nail plus the title track from Breaking The Chains & some songs from Under Lock & Key and Back for the Attack get them here.

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry, Come Out and Play & the title track to You Cant Stop Rock & Roll get them here

Masterplan - only listened to the catalog once but was very impressed

Styxx - good all round catalog.  

Reo Speedwagon - their big hits get them into this group.

Bob Seeger - again, his big hits get him into this group

The Warning  - 3 albums I can listen to and not skip a song.  That gets them here.  What they will do in the long run will be interesting.  Will they fade, stay in this group or move up?

Bothers of Metal - 2 albums I listen to and don't skip a song in.  Again, the long run will be interesting.

Unleash the Archers - their fist 2 albums were not to my taste.  But their last 2 albums and their last EP - again, I don't skip a song.  Again, the long run will be interesting

Scardust - their first album was rough.  Their second was excellent.  Are they prog metal?  Are they symphonic metal?  If they would just cut out the occasional death metal vocals.  Their lead singer is awesome when she sings clean.  Again, the long run will be interesting

Dio - his first 2 solo albums get him here.  Some added value from Sacread Heart and Dream Even.  After that I sort of lost track of him and need to check out more of his work.

Ozzy - his first 4 solo albums get him here.  His next 2 have some good song.  After that - thanks but no.

Next pack (also in striking distance of the pack in front) includes (in no order):

Edguy / Avantasia - Not certain if I include them as one band or 2.

In Extremo

Feuerschwanz

Sorry I got so wordy.  Got carried a way a bit but like I said, I had been thinking about it..

I thought the foot race analogy was a good way to explain my ranking. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I really try but I never click with Dio. Amazing voice but the songs...have yet to click with me. 

You like power metal, right? Lyrically Dio is the godfather of the genre. I would start with the three albums he did with Rainbow first. Then the two he did with Sabbath and onto his solo career after that.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

You like power metal, right? Lyrically Dio is the godfather of the genre. I would start with the three albums he did with Rainbow first. Then the two he did with Sabbath and onto his solo career after that.

Very hard to go wrong with Stargazer, Heaven And Hell, and The Sign Of The Southern Cross. Oh my goodness just thinking about TSOTSC makes me want to throw the horns.

• Like 4

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets (for a young band, there’s a lot more ideas here worth stealing than on their better known records, as is the case with the exceedingly experimental and still tangentially obscure)

Yes - Relayer (this is a surprise grower of an album for me, it’s taken at least a few years but it’s slowly worked its way up in my estimation from sub par to superb… though we’re still not talking tippy top, cuz Yes’ ceiling is just that high)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

If you don't mind I would like to jump in on the top 10 bands question.  Its funny it would be asked since I was thinking about it recently.

First of all, if this was phrased as "who would win a marathon", the answer is Rush.  For me Rush would be so far out in front that they would have just taken it easy down the stretch and finished without a band in sight.  Which they sort of did as their last 5 albums include 1 total dog (VT), 1 album full of covers (interesting in a way but I prefer original Rush), a couple of sort of ok albums (T4E & CA) and 1 very strong album (S &A).  Not an awesome collection.  The fact that they are so far out in front is a testament to how strong their work was otherwise.

In second place would be Nightwish.  They used to be equally as far in front of the 3rd place bands as Rush was in front of them but their last album was a real stumble.  Still, a decent lead over the 3rd place bands.  Note - I have not had the chance to listen to any of the side projects that Floor, Marco or Thomas have done so I am not including their work.  If I ever get the chance to listen to them I will and I would likely include that work with Nightwish.  Tarja's solo work I don't include with Nightwish's work when considering Nightwish's ranking.  But since I am not thrilled by it it would not materially impact them anyway.

3rd place is a tight pack of several bands running together.  Basically will be an interesting sprint to the finish for them and I won't try to figure out an order.  The bands include:

The Who (including the solo work by the groups members but the only album that adds real value is Roger Daltrey's Under a Raging Moon - the title track is awesome and "After The Fire"" is a good song)

Judas Priest (including KK Downing's Priest (their album had some ok songs) and Rob Halford's solo work (no real added value although the live album he put out was good)

Iron Maiden (including Bruce's solo work - Tattooed Millionaire had a number of very good songs (esp. the title track and Born in 58) & Including Steve Harris side Project British Lion (some ok stuff there).

Symphony X - I have actually only listened to their catalog once (that was this last winter) and I was blown away.  Need to listen again.  Esp like The Odyssey.

Blind Guardian - I am including the 3 Demons & Wizards albums here as Hansi sings lead for both groups and wrote the lyrics for D & W 

After that pack their is 3 bands running together within striking distance of the 3rd place pack.  These 3 bands (in no order) are:

Journey - I am including the solo work of Steve Perry (no added value, Street Talk was a terrible album) and Bad English as it was basically Journey in the 90's minus Steve Perry.

CCR including the solo work of John Fogerty (Centerfield was an excellent album)

Triummph

That gets me to 10 bands.

I will add the next pack of bands that is within striking distance of the last 3 bands.  This pack includes (in no order):

Bryan Adams - his Cuts Like A Knife & Reckless albums are awesome.  Not much otherwise

Heart - ST is an awesome album and enough other songs (here and there) to get the into this pack  But basically its their ST album that gets them here

Def Leopard - High N Dry and Pyromania get them here.  A little value added from On Through The Night, Adrenalize and Hysteria but again, its basically 2 albums that get them here

Savatage - Hall of The Mountain King & Streets get them here.  Some added value from Power Of The Night, Fight For The Rock, Sirens and a little here and their.  But again, its basically 2 albums

Dokken - Tooth and Nail plus the title track from Breaking The Chains & some songs from Under Lock & Key and Back for the Attack get them here.

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry, Come Out and Play & the title track to You Cant Stop Rock & Roll get them here

Masterplan - only listened to the catalog once but was very impressed

Styxx - good all round catalog.  

Reo Speedwagon - their big hits get them into this group.

Bob Seeger - again, his big hits get him into this group

The Warning  - 3 albums I can listen to and not skip a song.  That gets them here.  What they will do in the long run will be interesting.  Will they fade, stay in this group or move up?

Bothers of Metal - 2 albums I listen to and don't skip a song in.  Again, the long run will be interesting.

Unleash the Archers - their fist 2 albums were not to my taste.  But their last 2 albums and their last EP - again, I don't skip a song.  Again, the long run will be interesting

Scardust - their first album was rough.  Their second was excellent.  Are they prog metal?  Are they symphonic metal?  If they would just cut out the occasional death metal vocals.  Their lead singer is awesome when she sings clean.  Again, the long run will be interesting

Dio - his first 2 solo albums get him here.  Some added value from Sacread Heart and Dream Even.  After that I sort of lost track of him and need to check out more of his work.

Ozzy - his first 4 solo albums get him here.  His next 2 have some good song.  After that - thanks but no.

Next pack (also in striking distance of the pack in front) includes (in no order):

Edguy / Avantasia - Not certain if I include them as one band or 2.

In Extremo

Feuerschwanz

Sorry I got so wordy.  Got carried a way a bit but like I said, I had been thinking about it..

I thought the foot race analogy was a good way to explain my ranking. 

I love Nightwish dearly, but like Lacuna Coil, I'm in a weird place where I just don't seem to reach out for them anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Oh there's nothing about his voice or music I dislike. I just don't feel any particular enthusiasm for him. 

To jump in on the band ranking bandwagon, my top 5 surprises absolutely no one:

1. Queen

2. Rush

3. Muse

4. Genesis

5. David Bowie

and if you don’t count Bowie cuz he’s a solo act, some of the top contenders for that spot who are bands are:

Dream Theater, Paramore, King Crimson, Coldplay, Judas Priest, MisterWives, The Beatles, Weezer, Soundgarden, Megadeth, Panic! At The Disco, Pink Floyd, Yes, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, ahhhhhhhhhhhh I’m rambling…

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush

UFO

Machine Head

Testament

Fleetwood Mac

Pearl Jam

Rhapsody Of Fire 

Blind Guardian

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

As everyone is going for more than ten, bands I love as much as these ten include:

In Flames (probably high top ten, I forgot them when writing this list)

Iced Earth 

Lacuna Coil (used to be my number one)

Nightwish (used to be my number two)

Toto

Trivium

Jimmy Eat World

Alter Bridge

Tremonti

Creed

Third Eye Blind

Thrice

After Forever