Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Did you  hear the stories of her crying on the floor at home when this record didn't win?

That killed her inside at the time a  bit i think.

Mick

Definitely. The knock she got from Kanye I think fuelled her desire to release the best of the best. We forget how young she was, and how humiliating that must have been.

She was very low when Reputation wasn't nominated for anything.

She's a maddeningly ambitious woman. I see her as very sweet, but soul crushingly self critical.

I hope she is like Bette Davis, where one day when she is older, she looks back at herself and smiles warmly. Bette was similarly self critical and self loathing. Sometimes they oddly remind me of each other.

• Like 2

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Definitely. The knock she got from Kanye I think fuelled her desire to release the best of the best. We forget how young she was, and how humiliating that must have been.

She was very low when Reputation wasn't nominated for anything.

She's a maddeningly ambitious woman. I see her as very sweet, but soul crushingly self critical.

I hope she is like Bette Davis, where one day when she is older, she looks back at herself and smiles warmly. Bette was similarly self critical and self loathing. Sometimes they oddly remind me of each other.

that Lover doc was somthing else.

and i'm paraphtasing

Taylor: Well.......we just have to make a better album than Rep......that's it.....i've GOT too!!!!

That one scene was so telling of her personality.

Mick

31 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

that Lover doc was somthing else.

and i'm paraphtasing

Taylor: Well.......we just have to make a better album than Rep......that's it.....i've GOT too!!!!

That one scene was so telling of her personality.

Mick

When people assume she is just another vapid pop star, I cringe, because the proof she is anything but is obvious everywhere.

She did assume Midnights would be looked down on. She has said many times she is very overwhelmed by its success. I get it, it's a smaller record than her previous pop albums, it's more obtuse and less focused. 

But it has heart, and that is something rare on the charts these days.

I feel with her huge success, her next record will likely see her back in confidence and ready to release another really creative high watermark. Her energy and enthusiasm atm is insane.

As a long term fan who shares some of her personality issues, it's nice to see.

However I don't have her money, sadly 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Temples - Sun Structures

Even better the second time. On par with the new Lemon Twigs stuff. 

my biggest gripe is theres that one part in Sand Dance after the second verse that only appears ONE time in the song for 4 seconds when it should have its own full middle eight at least

The Lemon Twigs - Everything Harmony

This is such a well done album that lives up to its name though it does fall apart somewhat in the middle. It's super influenced by Brian Wilson and Todd Rundgren.  Other throwback bands like Greta Van Fleet still retain this modern quality to them. This album could easily be thrown back into the mid-70s and feel 100% like it belongs. 

James Taylor-That's Why I'm Here (10/10)

A great later (well at the time....1985, lol) album from James.  Red put me in this mood.  Since he's name dropped on that album.

Mick

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

James Taylor-That's Why I'm Here (10/10)

A great later (well at the time....1985, lol) album from James.  Red put me in this mood.  Since he's name dropped on that album.

Mick

I love him. Never played this

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

a1194688600_10.jpg

Carly Cosgrove - See You In Chemistry (Vinyl)

EP, I feel this would be up your alley. It's a phenomenal album that mixes Midwest Emo, punk, and math rock. All the song titles are quotes from Drake & Josh, or iCarly. It was one of my favorite albums from last year. I got to see them in March, and I got my records signed.

Kesha-Gag-Order.jpg

Kesha - Gag Order (Vinyl)

A strong contender for my album of the year. This album is very experimental, and is very psychedelic and electronic-influenced. I was absolutely not expecting this from Kesha, but I absolutely love it.

OC00NDIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Monuments - The Amanuensis

91IoP4MUPDL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Monuments - Phronesis

Two very heavy albums. Monuments is progressive metalcore/djent band that's been around for over a decade. I'm seeing them open for Jinjer next month.

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 1

James Taylor- That's Why I'm Here

Well this was killer. Thanks Mick!

Survivor- Premonition

I'm copying Mick's homework.

Taylor Swift- Midnights

I get your issues Mick. I get how her speech like vocals seem tiresome. For this album, if feels conversational and almost like a chat with a friend. But I get you. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, yyz305 said:

Love all three, but Five Leaves Left is my favourite.

Yeah, beautiful music ........ such a tragic artist.

• Like 1

Iron Maiden- The Number Of The Beast

Iron Maiden- Fear Of The Dark

Iron Maiden- Somewhere In Time 

I work 48 hour shifts in a home for children. I do this sometimes three times in 8 days, with a day off in between.

I'm shattered. I listen to Taylor Swift and Dan Fogelberg a lot because I can't handle much else.

So today I played some Maiden and it was like a cool breeze in the midst of a heatwave! f**k, I loved it! I feel so revitalised!

Happy to say that Fear Of The Dark has grown on me a lot. I loved it today!

• Like 7