The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

5 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I don`t know why Spurs are complaining about tiredness, as the ball was in play for only 53 minutes against Newcastle. They should have been champing at the bit for the Lisbon match. :ohmy:

So true.  :fistscrying:

57 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I've run out of witty things to say; I've run out of witless things to say; so now I'm just saying things.  Things like "abysmal," or "inexplicable," or "gutless," or "job-costing," etc.

16 hours of processing and that`s all you`ve got, eh? :cheers: The scariest thing is that it always felt like this was going to happen, everything in the game set up the finale/denouement - there`s no worse team to face than one that is on a losing run, manager`s position threatened and so on, it`s terrifying. This is the main lesson I have learned from Tottenham and I would strongly advise Jurgen not to repeat any other of our silly mistakes.

What about that backpass though... I mean, blimey. 

15 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Zaglebie 0 Cracovia 2 :smile: Yes, it was time for our goalkeeper to behave like a clown in the latter stages of the match. :blush:

Still, 66% success for our teams! Can`t be bad.

I wonder who Spurs have next weekend? Liverpool. :doh:

• Like 1

Wonder if PSG finding a way to be in Pot 2 (via away goals scored, in a competition that no longer bothers with away goals) will be a complete nightmare for Spurs... or if we`ll draw Brugges or Benfica... hmmm. Well, it is immaterial, who knows what kind of world we`ll be in when the knockout stage commences in about fifteen weeks time. By then, a lot of expensive players could be sulking, retired, horribly injured etc., and some sort of resolution in Ukraine must be a bit nearer. :unsure:

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Wonder if PSG finding a way to be in Pot 2 (via away goals scored, in a competition that no longer bothers with away goals) will be a complete nightmare for Spurs... or if we`ll draw Brugges or Benfica... hmmm. Well, it is immaterial, who knows what kind of world we`ll be in when the knockout stage commences in about fifteen weeks time. By then, a lot of expensive players could be sulking, retired, horribly injured etc., and some sort of resolution in Ukraine must be a bit nearer. :unsure:

Apparently, Son has beaten everybody to the punch.  :eh:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

Apparently, Son has beaten everybody to the punch.  :eh:  

Fractured eye socket and out of a few games, maybe the World Cup. Try that on the other side of the DMZ. :blast: 

• Like 1

I don`t like the Emery & Lopetegui additions to the PL managers roster. If the league has the best 20 managers in the world,  what does that means for the normal course of events? You could always rely on a few teams playing like bums, but if managers of the calibre of these two are mooching around in the midlands, not even at presitigious London/North West clubs, isn`t this going to make it even harder for Spurs to win anything ever again? :fistscrying:

9 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I don`t like the Emery & Lopetegui additions to the PL managers roster. If the league has the best 20 managers in the world,  what does that means for the normal course of events? You could always rely on a few teams playing like bums, but if managers of the calibre of these two are mooching around in the midlands, not even at presitigious London/North West clubs, isn`t this going to make it even harder for Spurs to win anything ever again? :fistscrying:

Eh, they're not programming robots or anything. I don't think Pep managing Wolves would suddenly turn Robert Plant's favorite side into title contenders. I'm willing to wager the obstacle for the mids isn't a matter of strategy or formation.

In other news, the temporary TRF Bragging Rights Match comes tomorrow, and I'm curious about which LFC side will show up; I hope it's the European version.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

In other news, the temporary TRF Bragging Rights Match comes tomorrow, and I'm curious about which LFC side will show up; I hope it's the European version.

Dr Tottenham will diagnose, prescribe medication, and provide the rehabilitation needed to cure Liverpool`s ailments. We have been atrocious against every "big" team this season, and we`re not going to let your league position trick us into thinking you are a mid-table team! :facepalm:

In addition, I can only imagine quite how Spurs will approach this game. We`ve adopted the underdog role, never crossing the halfway line until late in the second half, and that was when we had Son and Kane and Kulusevski and Richarlison. Now we have poor old Harry all on his own. 

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Eh, they're not programming robots or anything. I don't think Pep managing Wolves would suddenly turn Robert Plant's favorite side into title contenders. I'm willing to wager the obstacle for the mids isn't a matter of strategy or formation.

While it is true that a PL managed by 20 Peps would see 3 Peps relagated and only 1 Pep winning the title, I think it`s going to extremely difficult to get those 90+ numbers for "normal" clubs not bankrolled by nation states. I predict that the table will become more condensed over the coming seasons.

Salah, hey Mo Salah, he's a page right out of history! From the land of Egypt, he's the prince of LFC!

(But if I see Nunez lose another ball because he's left it too far away from his feet, I'm gonna throw a Millwall brick at my own TV)

Edited by Nova Carmina

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

With all the sincerity that you would have for the Redwings in a similar situation. :sarcasm:

Yes, if the standings demanded it. In fact, Wings are in a different conference now, so it's in my interest to have them beat my division opponents. 

24 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Salah, hey Mo Salah, he's a page right out of history! From the land of Egypt, he's the prince of LFC!

(But if I see Nunez lose another ball because he's left it too far away from his feet, I'm gonna throw a Millwall brick at my own TV)

Such a comically predictable start to the second half... we can`t just play from 0-2. Not every team is as pliable as Bournemouth. 

13 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Yes, if the standings demanded it. In fact, Wings are in a different conference now, so it's in my interest to have them beat my division opponents. 

Then I was not rooting for Chelsea, lol. I was hoping for them both to be unhappy.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned