The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

To paraphrase Alex Ferguson, when he really got under Keegan`s skin all those years ago, have Liverpool`s players been mugging off Klopp? They have not been playing their league matches with this level of emotion and energy.

I`m interested in your observations, NC, once you have cleaned off the vomit, beer and pizza that I presume you are covered in. 

Edited by IbanezJem

5 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Kounate missing for Liverpool, Gomez moves into the centre of defence. :doh:

Never had any doubt! Whew!

What a match -- what a match! Yeah, so . . . Nunez made at least two errors late: the bad pass and the botched chip over Ederson; the game should have been put to bed. The defense, including creaky old Jimmy Milner, held, and that's a confidence booster.

Full credit to Harvey Elliott and Mo Salah.

As for the squad not giving their full effort, it's hard to imagine a top-level athlete who has this gear only using it when faced with top competition but is apparently willing to be knocked about by the Fulhams of the world. That's a pretty skewed sense of the will to win. In other words, I don't think they're not trying. I think they miss what Mane offered in the middle more than they thought (or I thought), and there's no doubt some sense that the oppo will be so awed by the sight of those blood red jerseys and the noise of the Kop that they are too afraid to get stuck in, plus everybody is just one year older, plus they've all played a lot of football over the last two years, plus some of the new signings haven't hit the ground in mid-season form; it's a pungent potpourri of causes, I'd argue. We did see what happened by the end of Wenger's stay; maybe a new voice in the players' ears is a real thing, but at only seven years, I'd be surprised if Klopp has reached his sell by date.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Never had any doubt! Whew!

What a match -- what a match! Yeah, so . . . Nunez made at least two errors late: the bad pass and the botched chip over Ederson; the game should have been put to bed. The defense, including creaky old Jimmy Milner, held, and that's a confidence booster.

Full credit to Harvey Elliott and Mo Salah.

As for the squad not giving their full effort, it's hard to imagine a top-level athlete who has this gear only using it when faced with top competition but is apparently willing to be knocked about by the Fulhams of the world. That's a pretty skewed sense of the will to win. In other words, I don't think they're not trying. I think they miss what Mane offered in the middle more than they thought (or I thought), and there's no doubt some sense that the oppo will be so awed by the sight of those blood red jerseys and the noise of the Kop that they are too afraid to get stuck in, plus everybody is just one year older, plus they've all played a lot of football over the last two years, plus some of the new signings haven't hit the ground in mid-season form; it's a pungent potpourri of causes, I'd argue. We did see what happened by the end of Wenger's stay; maybe a new voice in the players' ears is a real thing, but at only seven years, I'd be surprised if Klopp has reached his sell by date.

I`m not going to argue. A) I`m feeling sleepy and B) I agree, Klopp has plenty of gas left in his tank. It`s really tough to compete with nation states. Although I`m going to get a little bit angsty if Arsenal are still uglying up the Top 4 at Qatar time - feel free to overtake them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Barcelona playing with a Canadian owl on their jerseys today, but not quite the owl that we should want.  :moon:  

Lucky you`re here as cultural attache, as this story would have confused me otherwise. :nuts:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Lucky you`re here as cultural attache, as this story would have confused me otherwise. :nuts:

Hey, I'm the innocent party here. I don't use Spotify. Barcelona lost, so it wouldn't be a good ad for :rush:   anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

10/17/22. I wonder if anyone knows what famous battle's 49th anniversary we are celebrating today.  :cool: 

Borodino? If not that, then it must be when Pennywise kept out the hated English. :joker:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Borodino? If not that, then it must be when Pennywise kept out the hated English. :joker:

I read a script of an interview with him today, remembering that night. He did suffer a fracture in his hand at the start of the game. They had to put a cast on it for three weeks. That makes this an even more incredible achievement.  :notworthy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

I read a script of an interview with him today, remembering that night. He did suffer a fracture in his hand at the start of the game. They had to put a cast on it for three weeks. That makes this an even more incredible achievement.  :notworthy:

I would concur that a fractured hand could be considered an impediment to performing the art of the goalkeeper. But then Jose Sa has kept in all Wolves` matches since late August with a fractured wrist, and he saved a penalty at the weekend. :blink:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I would concur that a fractured hand could be considered an impediment to performing the art of the goalkeeper. But then Jose Sa has kept in all Wolves` matches since late August with a fractured wrist, and he saved a penalty at the weekend. :blink:

I suppose they have better methods to keep a goalkeeper comfortable in a case like this after 49 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Yes - defensive tactics. :happy:

Or offensive tactics. :wink: Tomaszewski also said his hand hurt so much, he couldn't celebrate with other teammates at the party after the game. He spent the whole night in bed. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

How does Son end up in 11th place and Kane 21st in the Ballon d'Or awards? Silly French persons.  :smash:  

Poor Harry. Normally, finishing one place behind Ronaldo gets you 2nd or 3rd. :sad:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Polish Cup: Resovia 4 Cracovia 3  :scared:  How can Wisla hope to gain promotion competing against such monster clubs? 

You gave a great side a real challenge, it`s a step forward! 3 goals!! :facepalm:

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned