Last movie you watched, v.2

yyz305

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Yeah that's a good one. I haven't seen it since way back in the day, late 70s or early 80s most likely. 

Oh and I've been having computer problems the last few days. My laptop has gone for repair and I'm using a bunch of backups that are terrible. Actually the one I'm on now isn't so bad, but it's about 10 years old so it doesn't exactly perform at light speed!

Oh no!  It stinks when the favorite tech thing has to get repaired.  Yeah, the movie was pretty good.  Not used to seeing Robert Mitchum as a good guy that much! :smile:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueschica said:

Oh no!  It stinks when the favorite tech thing has to get repaired.  Yeah, the movie was pretty good.  Not used to seeing Robert Mitchum as a good guy that much! :smile:

And my CD player has crapped out. I have had it since 1991 though and I've used it constantly since then so I can't complain too much. So I'm looking to buy some new hifi gear ASAP.

I've recently seen Mitchum in Angel Face (film noir, good guy), Young Billy Young (western, good guy),  Anzio (WWII war film, good guy) and 5 Card Stud (western, bad guy).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, treeduck said:

And my CD player has crapped out. I have had it since 1991 though and I've used it constantly since then so I can't complain too much. So I'm looking to buy some new hifi gear ASAP.

I've recently seen Mitchum in Angel Face (film noir, good guy), Young Billy Young (western, good guy),  Anzio (WWII war film, good guy) and 5 Card Stud (western, bad guy).

I will have to look for those!  I had just seen Night of the Hunter recently so that strange preacher was stuck in my mind!  I like film noir so I'll have to look for Angel Face.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blueschica said:

I will have to look for those!  I had just seen Night of the Hunter recently so that strange preacher was stuck in my mind!  I like film noir so I'll have to look for Angel Face.

Angel Face features Jean Simmons as a devious dizzy diva! Mitchum plays a sinister preacher in 5 Card Stud as well. That one also features Dean Martin, Yaphet Kotto, Inger Stevens and Roddy McDowall as a sneaky bad guy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, treeduck said:

Well errr not sure, but that film was basically an Italian gothic version of Psycho with a young Franco Nero, even down to the stuffed birds and mother fixation.

That was a reference to a Tool song entitled "Third Eye" that ends with prying open my third eye repeated several times. 

• Like 1

Went out to see a movie for the first time since July when I saw the last Indiana Jones movie.  Tonight it was "The Marvels".  Good standard supper hero flick.  Enjoyable.  Not great but decent.  Fun escapism on a Saturday night.  Not a big move goer but felt the need to go out tonight.

I like the 3 Marvels so this was an easy move to go see.  Worth while?  Yes.  Would I go see it again? No.  It takes a special move for me to go see it more than once.  But it made for nice night out.

12 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Went out to see a movie for the first time since July when I saw the last Indiana Jones movie.  Tonight it was "The Marvels".  Good standard supper hero flick.  Enjoyable.  Not great but decent.  Fun escapism on a Saturday night.  Not a big move goer but felt the need to go out tonight.

I like the 3 Marvels so this was an easy move to go see.  Worth while?  Yes.  Would I go see it again? No.  It takes a special move for me to go see it more than once.  But it made for nice night out.

Comic Book Fans, there is an online segment of fans annoyed with the MCU and DCEU chiefs. They don't like choices the studios are making, feeling like they're making films no one is asking for. They delight in Flash failing, Black Adam failing, various Marvel films failing. The Marvels was the latest, people in delighting that the film was projected to fail and delighting in that the weekend box office seems to be garbage. With super hero movie fatigue these fans may have a point. These films can't just be decent, not with the budgets they command to make. I may catch it on Disney+ or not, I still haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy III yet.

The solution might be streaming TV series for these more minor characters. Then again I read some episodes of She Hulk cost $20M, that's crazy town.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, treeduck said:

nOMZt4QdUGisKYcxGhvbPGtW9dG.jpg

I was looking that movie up last Friday after a friend asked me about Michael Jackson's Ben.  I remember liking both movies, and seeing them multiple times on TV in the 70s.

• Like 1