Jethro Tull: Albums Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

10 members have voted

1. 1. Immune (Pick Up To THREE):

• This Was (1968/1969)
    • Stand Up (1969)
    • Benefit (1970)
    • Aqualung (1971)
    • Thick As A Brick (1972)
    • A Passion Play (1973)
    • War Child (1974)
    • Minstrel In The Gallery (1975)
    • Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die! (1976)
    • Songs From The Wood (1977)
    • Heavy Horses (1978)
    • Stormwatch (1979)
    • A (1980)
    • The Broadsword And The Beast (1982)
    • Under Wraps (1984)
    • Crest Of A Knave (1987)
    • Rock Island (1989)
    • Catfish Rising (1991)
    • Roots To Branches (1995)
    • J-Tull Dot Com (1999)
    • The Zealot Gene (2022)
  2. 2. Eliminate (Pick Up To THREE):

• This Was (1968/1969)
    • Stand Up (1969)
    • Benefit (1970)
    • Aqualung (1971)
    • Thick As A Brick (1972)
    • A Passion Play (1973)
    • War Child (1974)
    • Minstrel In The Gallery (1975)
    • Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die! (1976)
    • Songs From The Wood (1977)
    • Heavy Horses (1978)
    • Stormwatch (1979)
    • A (1980)
    • The Broadsword And The Beast (1982)
    • Under Wraps (1984)
    • Crest Of A Knave (1987)
    • Rock Island (1989)
    • Catfish Rising (1991)
    • Roots To Branches (1995)
    • J-Tull Dot Com (1999)
    • The Zealot Gene (2022)

Up Next:

Alice In Chains

The Doors

Aerosmith

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Supertramp

I've got plenty of suggestions already, but could still use more here:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/113652-i-hope-you-arent-bored-of-me-yet-time-for-new-album-eliminations/page__st__20

NOTICE:

Next time I make a poll for new eliminations to vote for, I will have A LOT of artists to add to my "Up Next" list. Not just 10 - thinking maybe 30. I select these artists by how many votes they get from everyone - the ones with most votes move on to become eliminations.

However, I understand that some people haven't heard an artist's entire discography (I may have added Buckethead just to fire you guys up... we won't do any eliminations of him) - some which can be just from hearing their most popular albums, etc.

Some discographies have one album that is a 10/10 masterpiece, and a few others, not even close.

I don't think we'll have much more discographies to go for that have more than 6 people on here who enjoy a bunch of their material -

so, where I am trying to get at is - if there is an artist that has one, two, or three 10/10 or very fantastic albums, the rest you either haven't heard before or you think are in no way close to the greatness of one album, I'd still suggest you to vote for it. Even if there's just ONE amazing album an artist has, we should still do the elimination - that way, this album can move on to the top secret competition at the very end.

Winners so far:

AC/DC - Highway To Hell (1979)

The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality (1971)

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1972)

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (1974)

Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

Def Leppard - Pyromania (1983)

Dream Theater - Awake (1994)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973)

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (1973)

Heart - Little Queen (1977)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)

Journey - Infinity (1978)

Judas Priest - Stained Class (1978)

Kansas - Leftoverture (1976)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman (1981)

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (1980)

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack (1974)

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (1972)

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

Styx - The Grand Illusion (1977)

Triumph - Allied Forces (1981)

U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987)

UFO - Lights Out (1977)

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981)

The Who - Who’s Next (1971)

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972)

I wish there was an option to cast all three elimination votes for Under Wraps. Every other album is good, Under Wraps is horrendous.
  • Like 1

Lets get all the post '84 crap out of the way first and then start voting on the the albums on which Anderson still had a voice. Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

Lets get all the post '84 crap out of the way first and then start voting on the the albums on which Anderson still had a voice.

That's for sure. Dump Catfish, Dot Com, and Rock Island.

Keep Stand Up, Thick As A Brick, and Passion Play.

Lets get all the post '84 crap out of the way first and then start voting on the the albums on which Anderson still had a voice.

Keep Crest of a Knave, imo
  • Like 2

I wish there was an option to cast all three elimination votes for Under Wraps. Every other album is good, Under Wraps is horrendous.

There's four tracks I really like on it, but, yeah, the decision to go digital is mostly a failed experiment.

Agreed. One of the better of the later albums. I would keep it above Under Wraps I think.

Agreed. One of the better of the later albums. I would keep it above Under Wraps I think.

For sure. It gives a few other earlier albums a run as well.
  • Like 1

Wow, I thought a lot of people found Under Wraps the worst. I love Tull, one of my top ten bands easily.

I also like lots of electronic music. But I just hate that album.

There's four tracks I really like on it, but, yeah, the decision to go digital is mostly a failed experiment.

I've tried to appreciate the songs and forget my expectations, but so far no luck.

I've only heard through the first half of Stormwatch!

My least favorites from that run: TOTRAR:TYTD, War Child, and Heavy Horses. I don't dislike any of them per say, but they just don't do much for me compared to other JT releases.

Save the first three.

I've only heard through the first half of Stormwatch!

My least favorites from that run: TOTRAR:TYTD, War Child, and Heavy Horses. I don't dislike any of them per say, but they just don't do much for me compared to other JT releases.

Save the first three.

:blink:

I just listened to the Zealot Gene, and it's more Ian solo than a proper TULL release, so it's got to go out first.

I agree - it's OK as an Ian Anderson solo album..... but Tull?? Sorry Ian I think you are trying to cash in on past glories!
  • Like 1

I just listened to the Zealot Gene, and it's more Ian solo than a proper TULL release, so it's got to go out first.

I agree - it's OK as an Ian Anderson solo album..... but Tull?? Sorry Ian I think you are trying to cash in on past glories!

He should at least have brought Martin Barre back, if not Barlow as well (although I think he's retired).

• Like 1

Zealot impressed me, considering how done Ian's voice is.

But it did bother me to call it Jethro Tull, primarily because that makes the words 'Jethro Tull' meaningless. Only how it's filed makes it different than the solo projects.

That said, it's light years better than under wraps. I didn't vote it out this time because I wasn't thinking about Martin. I'm saving A after all.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 2

Zealot impressed me, considering how done Ian's voice is.

But it did bother me to call it Jethro Tull, primarily because that makes the words 'Jethro Tull' meaningless. Only how is filled makes it different than the solo projects.

That said, it's light years better than under wraps. I didn't vote it out this time because I wasn't thinking about Martin. I'm saving A after all.

I think Thick as a Brick 2 is way more of a Tull-sounding album that Zealot.

• Like 2