The 2021 NFL thread

Nova Carmina

Two things...

1. The Squib Argument: A squib takes off 3-5 seconds, but it's also likely that KC ends up near where the first pass to Hill went anyway. Seems a wash to me.

2. Questioning how Kupp is open on the Rams final drive: You try guarding the league's best receiver in open field after playing a full game.

Sometimes great players make great plays in impossible circumstances. When that happens, hold your head high and tip your hat.

• Like 2

3. The outcry for revising NFL overtime: Chiefs brought it forward four years ago and it got NO support. In an age where frame by frame exactitude is applied throughout a game, essentially ending a game like last night's with a coin toss seems bizarrely unsophisticated.
  • Like 1

On Greeny's show, Ryan gave a great breakdown on how Buffalo should have defended those 13 seconds. While I disagree with his squib take, his analysis of the Bills guarding the sidelines (Chiefs had timeouts) and sending a front four (let Mahomes burn clock in the pocket) seems pretty sound. Edited by goose

On Greeny's show, Ryan gave a great breakdown on how Buffalo should have defended those 13 seconds. While I disagree with his squib take, his analysis of the Bills guarding the sidelines (Chiefs had timeouts) and sending a front four (let Mahomes burn clock in the pocket) seems pretty sound.

The NFL's top-ranked defense (on paper) should have stopped the Chiefs in those 13 seconds. It should have been easy. They blew it.

• Like 2

Been watching the NFL since 1964. That game last night was one of the top 5 games I've ever watched. Not only was the drama level and entertainment level off the charts, but both teams played at a very high level. They committed very few penalties and there was no cheap shots, after the whistle BS, etc. I guess if you love defense you might not feel this way but boy I was loving every second. Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 4

Best weekend of football EVER!!!

Of the weekends of football that have not included the Cowboys, of course! Which is a lot of them . . . isn't it? :16ton: http://www.therushforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/fists%20crying.gif

I think Chiefs-Bills becomes the game I show to an alien to try to explain why to watch football. It joins the MLB 2014 WC game between the Royals and A's in that category (yes, for baseball, obviously).

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 1

On Greeny's show, Ryan gave a great breakdown on how Buffalo should have defended those 13 seconds. While I disagree with his squib take, his analysis of the Bills guarding the sidelines (Chiefs had timeouts) and sending a front four (let Mahomes burn clock in the pocket) seems pretty sound.

The NFL's top-ranked defense (on paper) should have stopped the Chiefs in those 13 seconds. It should have been easy. They blew it.

Yep. They were not prepared for the scenario. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Great pigskin weekend and year! Buffalo was gassed on D. The coin toss might have decided the outcome.

Pretty certain it did.

Im interested in this from a strategy and math standpoint.

Obv advantage if you win the toss.

Is it an advantage if YOU get to call it (not really)

Then - do you kick it into end zone or squib it...

Also depends on how your doing on DEFENSE not just OFFENSE.

Great pigskin weekend and year! Buffalo was gassed on D. The coin toss might have decided the outcome.

Pretty certain it did.

3. The outcry for revising NFL overtime: Chiefs brought it forward four years ago and it got NO support. In an age where frame by frame exactitude is applied throughout a game, essentially ending a game like last night's with a coin toss seems bizarrely unsophisticated.

I think there will be a rule change after last night. An epic showdown like that should not have been decided by a coin toss. Both teams should get a possession.

• Like 2

An epic showdown like that should not have been decided by a coin toss.

The game was not decided by a coin toss. No game is decided by a coin toss.

The game was decided by the Chiefs' offense executing and the Bills' defense not executing. The Bills' top-ranked defense should have stopped them.

Have you seen the thread I made about NFL overtime games in 2021? Check it out.

Pretty certain it did.

I think there will be a rule change after last night. An epic showdown like that should not have been decided by a coin toss. Both teams should get a possession.

As I said, four years ago it went nowhere, and that was after a questionable replay of down was awarded to Brady and the Pat's in regulation. We'll see.
  • Like 1

The game was not decided by a coin toss.

Obviously, but the coin toss plays a HUGE factor. I think both teams should get a possession, now more than ever :)

The game was not decided by a coin toss. No game is decided by a coin toss.

The game was decided by the Chiefs' offense executing and the Bills' defense not executing. The Bills' top-ranked defense should have stopped them.

Well, when you have two high-powered offenses facing each other and only one gets an opportunity to score in overtime, I can see why folks think it's a bad system.

Obviously, but the coin toss plays a HUGE factor. I think both teams should get a possession, now more than ever :)

Have you seen the thread I made about NFL overtime games in 2021?

5 teams out of 22. FIVE teams that won the coin toss won the game on their 1st possession. 17 times out of 22, the kicking team stopped them on their 1st possession.

But just because an epic playoff game happens to go to OT, people want the rules changed.

The NFL is for grown men and highly-trained professionals. The defense is just as responsible for winning the game as the offense.

Go out on the field and STOP the Chiefs from scoring. If you don't, you lose.

5 teams out of 22. FIVE teams that won the coin toss won the game on their 1st possession. 17 times out of 22, the kicking team stopped them on their 1st possession.

But just because an epic playoff game happens to go to OT, people want the rules changed.

The NFL is for grown men and highly-trained professionals. The defense is just as responsible for winning the game as the offense.

Check your own thread. In the playoffs, when quality teams are competing, winners of the coin toss are 10 and 1, with seven of those ten being one-possession winners.

The numbers suggest you might as well just toss the coin and call it done, and avoid risk of injury.

Pretty certain it did.

My only quibble is that it was not decided (just) by a coin toss. It was just as decided by a defense that couldn't stop a team from getting a TD in :13 (ps - they werent gonna run off tackle running plays).

Edited by lerxt1990

Check your own thread. In the playoffs, when quality teams are competing, winners of the coin toss are 10 and 1, with seven of those ten being one-possession winners.

The numbers suggest you might as well just toss the coin and call it done, and avoid risk of injury.

That is true - but I still think the teams have to play and I think last nights example is brutal bc the defense shit the bad (and its a good defense).

I would argue not being able to stop a post touchback team from scoring a TD in :13 is just as huge a factor.

• Like 1

Pretty certain it did.

Missed that second sentence. yes, Im cool with that.

Then duke it out.. one possesion each?

1643072276[/url]' post='4985391']

By the way, why should we start the game with a coin toss? lol

Because we really need the high drama of the RECEIVE/KICK OFF/DEFER choice by the coin toss winner. :lol:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Because we really need the high drama of the RECEIVE/KICK OFF/DEFER choice by the coin toss winner. :lol:

It’s funny how I only learned about the THREE choices just a few years ago.

The coin flip winner can elect to Receive the kickoff, Defer their decision until the 3rd quarter, or Kick Off (which no one does). If you elect to Kick Off, your opponent will obviously elect to Receive to begin the 3rd quarter, so you will have to Kick off again.

1643072276[/url]' post='4985391']

It's an extra slot for adverts!