Intelligent QUALITY Horror Movies

rushgoober

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Feb 27 2012, 03:40 AM)
Poltergeist is good

Unfortunately, the first Poltergeist is the only one worth watching. That could have been a great franchise.

Speaking of Blair Witch Project, if anybody wants a good "found footage" film, go for "The Poughkeepsie Tapes". It's based on true events of a serial killer in Poughkeepsie, New York and is actually pretty interesting. It really explores how the inner mind of a serial killer works, what they do to their victims, and why they murder. Plus it's from my favorite director, John Erick Dowdle.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This movie will mess with your head, it absolutely keeps you guessing right up til the end! One of my very favorites.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 3 2012, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 09:37 AM)
In the Mouth of Madness

Another great film from the master, John Carpenter! trink39.gif

That movie is a head trip

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 02:42 PM)
In the Mouth of Madness

It definitely is. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 31 2012, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 29 2012, 01:24 PM)
Jacob's Ladder! This movie will mess with your head, it absolutely keeps you guessing right up til the end! One of my very favorites.

yes.gif Just watched it last night! trink39.gif

Cool, glad you liked it!

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 3 2012, 03:20 PM)
In the Mouth of Madness

Concur! Fantastic movie!

Having not seen it for about 20 years, I recently re-watched what used to be one of my favorite horror movies, Prince Of Darkness, a couple of months ago. I was disappointed to find that it hasn't held up well at all.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 3 2012, 07:27 PM)
Jacob's Ladder! This movie will mess with your head, it absolutely keeps you guessing right up til the end! One of my very favorites.

Cool, glad you liked it!

One of my faves. That movie is majorly f*cked up. Great performance from Tim Robbins! The VERY last scene is amazing. yes.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 3 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 3 2012, 03:20 PM)
In the Mouth of Madness

Concur! Fantastic movie!

Having not seen it for about 20 years, I recently re-watched what used to be one of my favorite horror movies, Prince Of Darkness, a couple of months ago. I was disappointed to find that it hasn't held up well at all.

I know what you mean about Prince Of Darkness- hasn't aged well with me either. Still a decent flick from Carpenter. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 3 2012, 09:27 PM)

Cool, glad you liked it!

Plan to rewatch it soon. For some reason I just never got around to seeing it. One of those movies where I always heard good stuff about and how I must see it, but I kinda forgot about it until the other week I found the dvd in the bargain bin so I picked it up. Definitely worth the five bucks! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 3 2012, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 3 2012, 07:27 PM)

Cool, glad you liked it!

One of my faves. That movie is majorly f*cked up. Great performance from Tim Robbins! The VERY last scene is amazing. yes.gif

After seeing the film I think Tim Robbins is a better actor than I thought. I always liked him, but he was fukking amazing in this! Awesome film and performance. trink39.gif

QUOTE (beherit @ May 31 2012, 04:01 PM)
Leprechaun in Space

Biting social commentary.

biggrin.gif

The 3 most recent horror films I watched and liked were:

1408 (2007)

House of Wax (1953)

The Collector (1965)

This was out of about 25, the rest being bad to mediocre ones.

Edited by Ovningskora

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 31 2012, 03:39 PM)

I recently checked it out.

on my growing RT horror movie rating list, it's third place with four stars. Good movie!

First off, I have to say to the OP, I can understand your frustration with horror films to a certain point. However, if you just dig a little bit you will find a wealth of quality horror films. It just takes a little effort. Maybe someday the most marketable and popular horror movies will be good ones, but for now, this is what horror fans have to do. So even if on the surface, it seems like they are all about gore, that's not always the case.

And as a horror fan, I have to say in your original post you were too hard on the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. I apologize in advance to all the Friday the 13th and Halloween fans, but Nightmare on Elm Street to me, was always a cut above the rest. Because of the dream element and an great actor playing an original and creative villain with personality and a demented sense of humor, they were able to go places other slasher movies couldn't. Especially with the pyschological element, Freddy literally gets into your head and makes your worst nightmare a reality. I would recommend you giving those movies a second chance. My personal favorites are the original Nightmare on Elm Street, Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, and Wes Craven's re-imagining (which is darker and a bit more psychological) New Nightmare.

Okay, so enough of that, here's some other horror movies I would recommend, while trying not to mention movies that have already been listed:

-The Shadow of the Vampire: This movie has an incredible cast, John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe- Dafoe is unrecognizable in his role as the vampire, he gives an incredible performance.

-The Mist: Some gore, but more on the psychological side. It's one of the Stephen King adaptations that actually works.

-Rosemary's Baby: Very creepy, classic psychological horror.

-The Host: Monster movie/drama from South Korea that is far from being just about the creature- who's design is excellent by the way.

-[REC]: One of the scariest horror movies I've seen in years, an excellent Spanish take on the zombie story.

-The Exorcism of Emily Rose: Half courtroom drama, half demon possession movie and it works surprisingly well. Jennifer Carpenter gives an awesome performance.

-Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon: An awesome horror slasher mockumentary with a nice dark sense of humor.

-Se7en: If you haven't seen this you are missing out, I can't say enough good things about this film.

-American Psycho: Christian Bale's best performance in my opinion.

-Misery: Excellent psychological horror and the reason I'm terrified of Kathy Bates.

Edited by VampireBiscuits

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jun 8 2012, 04:49 PM)

-The Shadow of the Vampire: This movie has an incredible cast, John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe- Dafoe is unrecognizable in his role as the vampire, he gives an incredible performance.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif

I'm not a big horror fan, but I tend to like my horror flicks as UNintelligent as possible. Bring on the cheesy spooky goofy goodness!

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles5/140877/projects/439407/1408771267563957.jpg

wink.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 8 2012, 09:48 PM)
I'm not a big horror fan, but I tend to like my horror flicks as UNintelligent as possible. Bring on the cheesy spooky goofy goodness!

The Evil Dead 2 is one of my favorites too! biggrin.gif The whole Evil Dead series, really. I love campy horror as much as psychological horror. Some of my favorite cheesy horror movies are Dead Alive, Bad Taste, Black Sheep, Dead Snow, Galaxy of Terror, The Lost Boys, Feast, The Kingdom of the Spiders, Lake Placid and Tremors. popcorn.gif

Edited by VampireBiscuits