Texas high school football player decides that football isn't for him.

Principled Man

I'm not trying to suggest that redemption and forgiveness are beyond this player, but it was an emphatically stupid thing to do at any age. He charged that ref from like thirty yards away, and it only takes a split-second to realize "hey, hold on a tick; this might have consequences beyond immediate gratification."

Prison is probably not right, surely some kind of probation/community service?

I agree. A jail cell is too much. He's already getting plenty of public shaming, which may be worse than jail.

I’d say it depends on the ref’s injuries.

I don't know. The number of times I have wanted to punch a sports official in the mouth? I get it.

Wanted to and doing it are obviously much different. Besides, he didn't punch anyone, just ran into him full tilt, and he's a big guy.

Exactly. I would’ve gone to jail or prison a dozen times over if I impulsively acted on what I was thinking at certain times. But it was against the law, just wasn’t ethically/morally right, the harm it would’ve caused that person and the people connected to that person, some/all of the above.

• Like 3

I don't know. The number of times I have wanted to punch a sports official in the mouth? I get it.

Wanted to and doing it are obviously much different. Besides, he didn't punch anyone, just ran into him full tilt, and he's a big guy.

Exactly. I would’ve gone to jail or prison a dozen times over if I impulsively acted on what I was thinking at certain times. But it was against the law, just wasn’t ethically/morally right, the harm it would’ve caused that person and the people connected to that person, some/all of the above.

If he keeps up this behavior, he'll be the new Vontaze Burfict who got arrested, again, for assault somewhere in Las Vegas.

If he keeps up this behavior, he'll be the new Vontaze Burfict who got arrested, again, for assault somewhere in Las Vegas.

I guess if there’s an NFL team who wants a dirty-playing thug, then Burfict is the guy. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the news one day either arrested for murder or as the one who was murdered.

He's been banned from all sports for the rest of his senior year. He was expected to contend for state champ in wrestling, but not anymore.

That seems a reasonable consequence.