Does Eddie still resonate with younger players?

Xanadoood

there are a lot of good bands today, but most of them are at least somewhat derivative of old bands. it's very hard to innovate in rock and still write a song someone would want to hear. nobody is reinventing the guitar anytime soon

Give me a list of lots of good bands today. There are none.

What about Sons of Apollo featuring the mighty Bumblefoot??

Do younger guitarists listen and take anything from eddies playing? By younger I’m talking 20 somethins.

What younger guitar players? They're aren't any.

Mrs Mahomes has got a bone to pick with you Earl!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! RAIDERS BABY!!!!! I'm still in shock!!! LOVE IT!!!! GO SAINTS!! I need a win tomorrow Pat!!!

We should be able to beat the Chargers.

Yes! Crush them please!!

Hey Pat! Do you like a band called MOXY from the Seventies? THEY ROCK!

I've heard of them.

• Like 1

Do younger guitarists listen and take anything from eddies playing? By younger I’m talking 20 somethins.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! RAIDERS BABY!!!!! I'm still in shock!!! LOVE IT!!!! GO SAINTS!! I need a win tomorrow Pat!!!

Yes! Crush them please!!

I've heard of them.

Nice!

Yes! Crush them please!!

I've heard of them.

Nice!

Earl I've realised who I think of when I see your posts, Pete Carroll. Earl you're a younger Pete Carroll, you're like his son! Earl is the son of Pete Carroll. Earl Carroll Junior!

Yes! Crush them please!!

I've heard of them.

Nice!

Earl I've realised who I think of when I see your posts, Pete Carroll. Earl you're a younger Pete Carroll, you're like his son! Earl is the son of Pete Carroll. Earl Carroll Junior!

Hahaha! Funny Pat! I'm actually a III.

• Like 1

Yes! Crush them please!!

I've heard of them.

Nice!

Hahaha! Funny Pat! I'm actually a III.

There's only one of me!

there are a lot of good bands today, but most of them are at least somewhat derivative of old bands. it's very hard to innovate in rock and still write a song someone would want to hear. nobody is reinventing the guitar anytime soon

What do you think of this?

And this?

KISS

• Like 2

KISS

HAHAHAHA! YES!!!!

• Like 1

And this?

Holy Shit! White Reaper! I like it. My God! Thin Lizzy guitar tone!!!!!

• Like 1

And this?

Thanks buddy! Never heard of White Reaper. I know there are good bands out there. The search is endless and hard work.

This is why I love the Rush Forum.

I'm still learning everyday.

I dig them!!!

Gorham's kid on guitar??? Kidding.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

And this?

Thanks buddy! Never heard of White Reaper. I know there are good bands out there. The search is endless and hard work.

I dig them!!!

I found them through Anthony Fantano on YouTube. He didn’t even give them a full proper review but he mentioned digging their sophomore album and from what he described I thought I’d check them out. They’re dangerously close to being favorite band of the past 5 years. Check out their sophomore record World’s Best American Band, it was my 2nd favorite album of 2017. I also saw them live in a little club just last December and they were absolutely killer, sounded just like the records, even better. The dueling Thin Lizzy guitars are just so perfectly done.

And this?

I dig them!!!

I found them through Anthony Fantano on YouTube. He didn’t even give them a full proper review but he mentioned digging their sophomore album and from what he described I thought I’d check them out. They’re dangerously close to being favorite band of the past 5 years. Check out their sophomore record World’s Best American Band, it was my 2nd favorite album of 2017. I also saw them live in a little club just last December and they were absolutely killer, sounded just like the records, even better. The dueling Thin Lizzy guitars are just so perfectly done.

Needle Drop.

• Like 1

And this?

I dig them!!!

Needle Drop.

He is the most relevant music critic walking this earth. I often disagree with him, but he’s always interesting to watch.

And this?

I dig them!!!

Needle Drop.

He is the most relevant music critic walking this earth. I often disagree with him, but he’s always interesting to watch.

I think I've seen his reviews on and off for about 10 years. Not seen any lately. I liked his Firepower review!

• Like 1

And this?

I dig them!!!

Needle Drop.

I think I've seen his reviews on and off for about 10 years. Not seen any lately. I liked his Firepower review!

He was spot on about Firepower! I was so glad he liked it because it meant other people were going to check it out who may not have before.

• Like 1

And this?

I dig them!!!

Needle Drop.

He was spot on about Firepower! I was so glad he liked it because it meant other people were going to check it out who may not have before.

I liked how he described Halford's performance on Flame Thrower!

• Like 1

And this?

I dig them!!!

Needle Drop.

I liked how he described Halford's performance on Flame Thrower!

True, he nailed that one.

• Like 1

Imagine if the Stones had plucked a 21 year old Eddie Van Halen from obscurity in 1976 as the replacement for Mick Taylor instead of Ronnie Wood. And it lasted until 2020, how would that have sounded?

I recall reading a thread on the Rolling Stones IORR forum here about guitarists chosen to replace Mick Taylor.

The irony is that these guitarists were in bands before.

However they were better as a 'solo' artist with their own bands.

Even though Eddie Van Halen was in a band for his entire career, I never saw him as a team player per se.

He was dominating and egotistical in a way, so it wouldn't have worked with him being a member of The Rolling Stones.

Edited by RushFanForever

Think about this, if a guitar player is under 25, do they even know who Eddie is? Van Halen would have released only one album in their lifetime with A Different Kind Of Truth. Unless their parents were fans, or they caught a song on the radio or YouTube they may not know the band at all or understand how significant Eddie's impact was on rock guitar.

Young people that don't listen to autotune crap listen to our music. Maybe a few listen to Greta Van Fleet and The Struts.

Until evolution takes our ears away, people will still be spellbound by Eddie - I wasn`t around when Beethoven was knocking out tunes, but I`m aware of his work. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Eddie's style peaked in the 80s with all the copy cats. 90s put and end to diddly diddly diddly diddly guitar solos. Music is not as guitar centric as it was and the idea of a solo on a popular song is long gone. At most there's guitar as rhythm filler for the rest of the oversampled, autotune bullshit.

As great as Buckethead is, his tours are mainly small clubs and theaters. He should be filling arenas if talent was the true measurement.

Edited by HemiBeers

Imagine if the Stones had plucked a 21 year old Eddie Van Halen from obscurity in 1976 as the replacement for Mick Taylor instead of Ronnie Wood. And it lasted until 2020, how would that have sounded?

I recall reading a thread on the Rolling Stones IORR forum here about guitarists chosen to replace Mick Taylor.

The irony is that these guitarists were in bands before.

However they were better as a 'solo' artist with their own bands.

Even though Eddie Van Halen was in a band for his entire career, I never saw him as a team player per se.

He was dominating and egotistical in a way, so it wouldn't have worked with him being a member of The Rolling Stones.

But just imagine Eddie Van Halen playing on Shattered!

And this?

White Reaper kicks ass. They have a sensibility similar to early Cheap Trick.
  • Like 1