Alice Cooper vs David Bowie

treeduck

Alice Cooper vs David Bowie  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these artists do you prefer, Alice Cooper or David Bowie?

2. 2. Which alter-ego character do you think is best?

3. 3. Which of these artists had the best band in the 70's?

• Alice Cooper Group
    • The Spiders From Mars

"The Man Who Sold The World" is an EPIC METAL RECORD. Bowie blows circles around Alice Cooper.

Alice Cooper only has one masterpiece. His first Greatest Hits Album.

Too many hits and misses for my taste.

:goodone:

• Like 1

It's Bowie, and Bowie, and Bowie, and if you'd contrived a fourth question, that probably would have been Bowie, too.

I have never understood the fascination with Alice Cooper. The music is not particularly compelling or interesting (of the songs I've heard, which have never piqued my further curiosity) and the whole stage show rubbish is dreck.

Have you ever heard any full albums from Cooper? His stuff back in the 70s is more interesting and experimental than his hits would have you believe. Why do you have a problem with his stage show? I'm not a Bowie fan but he strikes me as someone who has probably had some over the top stage shows.

• Like 3

"The Man Who Sold The World" is an EPIC METAL RECORD. Bowie blows circles around Alice Cooper.

Alice Cooper only has one masterpiece. His first Greatest Hits Album.

Too many hits and misses for my taste.

I think it's been remastered and released with the original cover.

91Ic%2BFiNniL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61QIzS3QjSL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

November 2020 sees the 50th Anniversary of the release of David Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World in North America. The album marks the beginning of a collaboration with guitarist Mick Ronson that would last through classic works including Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane, as well as the first in a 10-year series of indispensable albums stretching through 1980’s Scary Monsters

Originally titled Metrobolist, the album's name was changed at the last minute to The Man Who Sold The World, the original stereo master tapes were in fact labelled Metrobolist, with the title ultimately crossed out. The 2020 re-release of the album under its Metrobolist moniker has been remixed by original producer Tony Visconti, with the exception of the track ‘After All’ which Tony considered perfect as is, and is featured in its 2015 remaster incarnation.

The Metrobolist 50th anniversary artwork has been created by Mike Weller who was behind the historically controversial “dress” cover which Mercury Records refused to release.

David's hosting of Freddie's memorial show was impressive.

And his loyalty to Mick Ronson throughout the years is impressive too.

And he was a very talented man who seemed to always be reinventing himself.

But I still love Alice more because he is more down to earth.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

No kidding Alice is more down to earth, but then Alice wouldn't have ever written this line: "look up here, I'm in heaven"

But yeah, David did a couple great things playing at Freddie's tribute concert and bringing Mick Ronson back onstage with him. Mick was such an incredible talent.

• Like 1

No kidding Alice is more down to earth, but then Alice wouldn't have ever written this line: "look up here, I'm in heaven"

But yeah, David did a couple great things playing at Freddie's tribute concert and bringing Mick Ronson back onstage with him. Mick was such an incredible talent.

He really was, and deserved a lot more recognition than he ever got during his short life.

• Like 1

Two solo artists, both with a glam image, both created an alter-ego character for themselves, both had a band that went with the character, both abandoned the band and went solo. You can see the parallels here, Alice the more heavy rock-orientated. Which one do you prefer, which is best?

Another parallel is both artists had a band called the Spiders...

Pat! BOWIE SWEEPS FOR ME!

How do you think Alice measures up?

Alice is great but Bowie and his bands BLOW ALICE INTO WONDERLAND!

Who's the better golfer though??

They were great friends;

• Like 1

It's Bowie, and Bowie, and Bowie, and if you'd contrived a fourth question, that probably would have been Bowie, too.

I have never understood the fascination with Alice Cooper. The music is not particularly compelling or interesting (of the songs I've heard, which have never piqued my further curiosity) and the whole stage show rubbish is dreck.

Have you ever heard any full albums from Cooper? His stuff back in the 70s is more interesting and experimental than his hits would have you believe. Why do you have a problem with his stage show? I'm not a Bowie fan but he strikes me as someone who has probably had some over the top stage shows.

I remember a friend in high school played Billion Dollar Babies for me once, but I don't remember anything catchy about it. I appreciate the humor of "No More Mr. Nice Guy," but it's not the sort of song that moves me. I have not listened to any of his other work, no. I still tend to associate him with the later-day radio hit "Poison" which I thought was boring and a little too on-the-nose for a guy who'd made his career by trying to be creepy and gory.

That's probably what doesn't appeal to me about the stage show -- and I'm sure you're right that Bowie had some humdingers of weirdness -- but I have never been drawn to that whole grand guignol of blood and cruelty and violence (even if in good fun!), and the whole guillotine routine leaves me more repulsed than fascinated. He always seemed a "stage show first, music second" kind of performer -- and he's still milking that by playing up how "edgy" and "dangerous" he is/was on his syndicated radio show, which my local station buys.

It's just not for me.

I remember a friend in high school played Billion Dollar Babies for me once, but I don't remember anything catchy about it. I appreciate the humor of "No More Mr. Nice Guy," but it's not the sort of song that moves me. I have not listened to any of his other work, no. I still tend to associate him with the later-day radio hit "Poison" which I thought was boring and a little too on-the-nose for a guy who'd made his career by trying to be creepy and gory.

That's probably what doesn't appeal to me about the stage show -- and I'm sure you're right that Bowie had some humdingers of weirdness -- but I have never been drawn to that whole grand guignol of blood and cruelty and violence (even if in good fun!), and the whole guillotine routine leaves me more repulsed than fascinated. He always seemed a "stage show first, music second" kind of performer -- and he's still milking that by playing up how "edgy" and "dangerous" he is/was on his syndicated radio show, which my local station buys.

It's just not for me.

:goodone:

Alice has some great rock moments, and his flirtation with prog (Halo of Flies) is fantastic.

But this is a very very easy win for Bowie. Not just in the 70's- Bowie's 21st century albums were all very good.