RUSH - The Making Of Permanent Waves - Classic Rock Magazine

RushFanForever

“That’s the thing about Rush music though,” Lee says with a laugh, “five minutes feels like twenty.”

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 2

“The other realization I had was that I felt that we were becoming formulaic – these long, epic, side-long pieces were becoming inadvertently down pat; overture, theme here, repeat theme here… In and of itself, it was complex, but in actuality we were repeating ourselves, and I didn’t want to do that.

If they hadn't changed their game, if they hadn't moved on to shorter songs with different themes, they would have broken up long ago.

The redundancy would have destroyed them.

• Like 3

“That’s the thing, I have such fond memories of that time, so hearing those songs transports me to then. Isn’t that the amazing thing about music and how it marks different stages in one’s life?”
  • Like 1

“That’s the thing, I have such fond memories of that time, so hearing those songs transports me to then. Isn’t that the amazing thing about music and how it marks different stages in one’s life?”

'

So true. I have to say, my favorite way to listen to music these days is through a gauzy haze of nostalgia.

• Like 2

Louder has posted the RUSH - The Making of Permanent Waves cover story via Classic Rock magazine (Issue 274) below.

Rush: how we reinvented ourselves and made Permanent Waves

I'm glad I can read it somewhere! I'm a subscriber and keep getting emails that my Rush issue is stuck in the UK since it is not priority for flight transport. Says who?? :P

I've lived 3/4 of my life in Washington state and back in the 70s and 80s the biggest record store chain here was Budget Tapes and Records. They had a TV ad on for a while that ended with the statement ".....music makes time stand still". Always thought that was excellent and very true and fits in well with what he said.

Great article. We know the basic story of course but this delved deeper.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

'

So true. I have to say, my favorite way to listen to music these days is through a gauzy haze of nostalgia.

I'm built different.

I don't have a lot of nostalgia. I think about the past sometimes but I don't live there, or trick myself into thinking it was better than today is.

Another reason is being a musician. Top-ranked amateurs (like me) and especially professionals associate music less with places and more with internal structures and tonal choices. It's more analytical.

Last year I was chatting with a friend who said Dark Side of the Moon reminds him so strongly of driving thru Texas at night in the late 90s. I told him that DSOTM reminds me of today, because I'd spent twenty minutes playing some Floyd on my acoustic that morning. It's in the eternal present tense for me.

'

I'm built different.

I don't have a lot of nostalgia. I think about the past sometimes but I don't live there, or trick myself into thinking it was better than today is.

Another reason is being a musician. Top-ranked amateurs (like me) and especially professionals associate music less with places and more with internal structures and tonal choices. It's more analytical.

Last year I was chatting with a friend who said Dark Side of the Moon reminds him so strongly of driving thru Texas at night in the late 90s. I told him that DSOTM reminds me of today, because I'd spent twenty minutes playing some Floyd on my acoustic that morning. It's in the eternal present tense for me.

It's not about living in the past or tricking yourself into thinking the old days were better. That's a common misconception about nostalgia, imo. Although I realize it can be overdone, I'm not that guy. Life at any given point is comprised of good, bad and ordinary experiences but the music of one's youth just has a way a conjuring up the good ones. That's something I won't deny myself. But even though it's a favorite way to listen to music I don't do it all the time. A couple beers every now and then and it's '70s and '80s music time. The two just go together. lol. But I can compartmentalize my music listening as well as anybody else and I listen to a lot newer music.

• Like 1

'

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

:smoke:

• Like 1

'

I'm built different.

It's not about living in the past or tricking yourself into thinking the old days were better.

:goodone:

It's the sounds, smells, feelings of a moment in time.

• Like 2

'

Haha. It does sound like that, huh? Believe it or not, this is one Rush fan who does not partake. Just beer and occasionally wine for me.

• Like 1

'

Haha. It does sound like that, huh? Believe it or not, this is one Rush fan who does not partake. Just beer and occasionally wine for me.

Same here.
  • Like 1

Me neither. I never liked the stuff. I don't gamble or whore either.

Basically it's just wine and liquor.

Any money I blow is on international airplane travel. Covid was the best thing that ever happened to my bank account :drool:

• Like 1

Me neither. I never liked the stuff. I don't gamble or whore either.

Basically it's just wine and liquor.

Any money I blow is on international airplane travel. Covid was the best thing that ever happened to my bank account :drool:

Rush retiring was the best thing to happen to my bank account!

• Like 1