Steven Wilson - new album "The Future Bites"

stoopid

Not excited enough about SW or boxed sets in general, so opted like I did for TtB for the Bluray.

To The Bone is an awesome album especially when played live.

I don't mind it, but I wouldn't have needed a boxed set (I don't think one was even offered). I rarely ever look at the HCE boxed set. It's more a collector's item/novelty, and I'll probably cash it out on eBay eventually. [the HCE is a fantastic work of art, these things just aren't my cup of tea... I'm really all about the music]

Blech.... do not like. First time, ever, that a new Steven Wilson song did not hit the mark for me (and that goes well back into the PT days...) I'm sure some would have called me a SW fan-boy, even up through the To The Bone cycle.... but nope, not this. Yuck! Reminds me of Pet Shop Boys or Erasure (and I mean that in the least flattering way!) I know I'm old fashioned, liking adventurous rock music that is made with real drums and real guitars (I know there are drums on this, but come on.) I've always loved SW's unconventional songwriting and cinematic music; to me, this song is just cliche. I did grow up in the 80's and have a soft spot for synth nostalgia - unfortunately, this didn't even stir the least bit of that feeling for me. I realize the lyrics are sort-of tongue in cheek, with a self-depreciating line about needing to buy the deluxe bot set.... but I'm actually so turned off that I doubt I will buy this album. I suppose I will sample it, as a long-time SW fan (Signify, related to my username...) and I can appreciate his need to have an artistic vision and keep trying new things to keep it fresh, but I just honestly don't like this sound or feeling of this song. I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised with the rest of the disc, but it's going to have to earn it. Oh well, plenty of other goodies to choose from!
  • Like 1

I don't usually listen to Steven Wilson, but I'm really interested in this Storm Corrosion collaboration he did with Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. I think I will check it out right now.

It's therefore with a very heavy heart that I reluctantly need to postpone the release of The Future Bites until such time everything can happen as intended. This will now be January next year, with new music and video starting to be issued again around October.

Looks like the album isn't going to be out anytime soon after all. Will be interesting to see if it remains unleaked for all those months.

Edited by stoopid

It's therefore with a very heavy heart that I reluctantly need to postpone the release of The Future Bites until such time everything can happen as intended. This will now be January next year, with new music and video starting to be issued again around October.

Looks like the album isn't going to be out anytime soon after all. Will be interesting to see if it remains unleaked for all those months.

the future bites the dust....

i respect his vision and it seems like he could of released just the music. but for him its all or nothing. art as expression kind of deal.

• Like 1

i respect his vision and it seems like he could of released just the music. but for him its all or nothing. art as expression kind of deal.

I don't have a problem with it. His music is often accompanied by a design/visual element.

I don't have a problem with it. His music is often accompanied by a design/visual element.

me either. like i said i respect his vision. i can wait. iirc he say the delay was because of sourcing the material for the deluxe editions. i know he has been doing the design/visual stuff which is very cool. i only buy the most basic though.

big question is what will do next. more solo stuff or jump back into remastering others old music. he is the man

I don't usually listen to Steven Wilson, but I'm really interested in this Storm Corrosion collaboration he did with Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. I think I will check it out right now.

Yeah that's a good album.

So steven shared stems to personal shopper for the fans to remix while waiting for the new record. very very cool

Also cool, steven announced on facebook that his new concert DVD, Home Invasion is streaming on amazon prime starting today i think. I assume its for free???

edit- not free. only $2.99 to rent though.

it was a great tour and one i saw 2nd row center....

Edited by tangy

Also cool, steven announced on facebook that his new concert DVD, Home Invasion is streaming on amazon prime starting today i think. I assume its for free???

I think you meant last or latest concert release. It's been out for a while. Nice that he's got it up free, good a time as any to snag some new fans since so many of them are still spending too much time home and running out of quality stuff to watch/listen to.

I think you meant last or latest concert release. It's been out for a while. Nice that he's got it up free, good a time as any to snag some new fans since so many of them are still spending too much time home and running out of quality stuff to watch/listen to.

yeah, new should been newest, most recent, or latest. d'oh

i saw that tour at what the most unusual stop. the show should of been cancelled due to snow. probably less than 30% capacity showed for a sold out show of approx 1200.

second row without anyone but my bro next to me. unfortunately had to give a ticket away. and i was not the only one.

enjoyed watching it last night.

SW’s new single is pretty damn good. Sir Elton adds the master stroke. I like this pop direction. As for the old catalog, he’s got volumes of depressing prog material to jump into. The guys got a family now right? Explains everything. Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1