KK's Priest - The new Priest is launched!

treeduck

That KK song should’ve started with the solo section.

And then should’ve ended right after.

I think Downing should have started a whole new band, no Owens, his questionable vocals and ability to write vocal melodies should rule him out. He could have just called the band KK Downing, that's a cool enough name. That said I'll probably buy it.

• Like 2

KK's new tune is solid musically, although it does have a recycled feel. It kinda reminded me of "Invader" from Stained Class, but on steroids.

The drumming is excellent, even if it's not Binks. KK's solo is decent. His playing doesn't sound any worse than when he was in Priest, so that's good. Doesn't sound any better either though. Pretty much the same old same old. Still reliant on whammy bar and on the sloppy side. I thought the other guitarist's solo was actually better.

The song SOUNDS great. Solid production, very much like you expect a Priest album to sound. And I loved the over-the-top effects in the video. Still maybe not enough fire. :lol:

What brings the song down though are Owen's vocals. Still don't care for the way he sings. He can rival Rob when it comes to screams, but as for actual singing, it's like he's always trying to sound tough and it's just irritating. His voice just doesn't have near as much character as Halford's.

This song definitely feels like a direct reply to Firepower and while musically it's there, the singing makes it sound like the third Ripper Priest album. Which is exactly what I expected.

• Like 2

KK's new tune is solid musically, although it does have a recycled feel. It kinda reminded me of "Invader" from Stained Class, but on steroids.

The drumming is excellent, even if it's not Binks. KK's solo is decent. His playing doesn't sound any worse than when he was in Priest, so that's good. Doesn't sound any better either though. Pretty much the same old same old. Still reliant on whammy bar and on the sloppy side. I thought the other guitarist's solo was actually better.

The song SOUNDS great. Solid production, very much like you expect a Priest album to sound. And I loved the over-the-top effects in the video. Still maybe not enough fire. :lol:

What brings the song down though are Owen's vocals. Still don't care for the way he sings. He can rival Rob when it comes to screams, but as for actual singing, it's like he's always trying to sound tough and it's just irritating. His voice just doesn't have near as much character as Halford's.

This song definitely feels like a direct reply to Firepower and while musically it's there, the singing makes it sound like the third Ripper Priest album. Which is exactly what I expected.

Owens can be a more versatile singer if he has a very good songwriter who gives him material that can really push him vocally. This happened with Owens on the two albums he did with Iced Earth. But when he doesn't have that kind of songwriter, we get run of the mill, Halford tribute act Owens which is exactly what we have here.

I think Downing should have started a whole new band, no Owens, his questionable vocals and ability to write vocal melodies should rule him out. He could have just called the band KK Downing, that's a cool enough name. That said I'll probably buy it.

Yeah, by calling it KK's PRIEST, he's made it impossible for listeners to not compare it directly with his former band (because he IS trying to market it as a second Judas Priest). And because his former band still has the vocalist that (IMO) pushed them into the stratosphere of legends, it's a comparison he's very likely to lose. If he'd called it something like KK's Steel Mill, it would be easier to listen to as HIS band and not a copycat attempt.

That said, I do like the initial single more than I thought I would and will be open to hearing the rest of it. Some of the song titles though sound embarrassing.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1

Yeah, by calling it KK's PRIEST, he's made it impossible for listeners to not compare it directly with his former band (because he IS trying to market it as a second Judas Priest). And because his former band still has the vocalist that (IMO) pushed them into the stratosphere of legends, it's a comparison he's very likely to lose. If he'd called it something like KK's Steel Mill, it would be easier to listen to as HIS band and not a copycat attempt.

That said, I do like the initial single more than I thought I would and will be open to hearing the rest of it. Some of the song titles though sound embarrassing.

I'm not sure who he could have got to sing instead but he would have probably been better getting a non-Priest sounding guy like Russell Allen or someone.

I'm not sure who he could have got to sing instead but he would have probably been better getting a non-Priest sounding guy like Russell Allen or someone.

Yes, creating a little bit of a different sound with a non Halford like vocalist would have been a good idea. Instead it's just a cheap Priest knock off like I knew it would be. Does KK know how to write songs that aren't made for a Halford kind of voice though?

Yes, creating a little bit of a different sound with a non Halford like vocalist would have been a good idea. Instead it's just a cheap Priest knock off like I knew it would be. Does KK know how to write songs that aren't made for a Halford kind of voice though?

Who knows?