Best Rush album SIDE from the 70's and 80's

rushgoober

What was the best Rush album side in the 70's and 80's???  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best Rush album side in the 70's and 80's???

• Rush - side 1 (Finding My Way, Need Some Love, Take A Friend, Here Again)
    • Rush - side 2 (What You're Doing, In the Mood, Before and After, Working Man)
    • Fly By Night - side 1 (Anthem, Best I Can, Beneath, Between and Behind, By-Tor and the Snowdog)
    • Fly By Night - side 2 (Fly By Night, Making Memories, Rivendell, In the End)
    • Caress of Steel - side 1 (Bastille Day, I Think I'm Going Bald, Lakeside Park, The Necromancer)
    • Caress of Steel - side 2 - (The Fountain of Lamneth)
    • 2112 - side 1 (2112)
    • 2112 - side 2 (A Passage to Bangkok, The Twilight Zone, Lessons, Tears, Something for Nothing)
    • A Farwell to Kings - side 1 (A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu)
    • A Farewell to Kings - side 2 (Closer to the Heart, Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Cygnus X-1)
    • Hemispheres - side 1 (Hemispheres)
    • Hemispheres - side 2 (Circumstances, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato)
    • Permanent Waves - side 1 (The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder)
    • Permanent Waves - side 2 (Entre Nous, Different Strings, Natural Science)
    • Moving Pictures - side 1 (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ Limelight)
    • Moving Pictures - side 2 (The Camera Eye, Witch Hung, Vital Signs)
    • Signals - side 1 (Subdivions, The Analog Kid, Chemistry, Digital Man)
    • Signals - side 2 (The Weapon, New World Man, Losing It, Countdown)
    • Grace Under Pressure - side 1 (Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A, The Enemy Within)
    • Grace Under Pressure - side 2 (The Body Electric, Kid Gloves, red lenses, Between the Wheels)
    • Power Windows - side 1 (The Big Money, Grand Designs, Manhattan Project, Marathon)
    • Power Windows - side 2 (Territories, Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms)
    • Hold Your Fire - side 1 (Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, Second Nature, Prime Mover)
    • Hold Your Fire - side 2 (Lock and Key, Mission, Turn the Page, Tai Shan, High Water)
    • Presto - side 1 (Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Presto)
    • Presto - side 2 (Superconductor, Anagram (for Mongo), Red Tide, Hand Over Fist, Available Light

Remember when ALBUMS had SIDES? They did, I swear! They had a side one and a side two, and you had to manually turn it over to get from one side to another. Really, you can't make this shit up. no.gif

Anyway, back in the 70's and 80's, Rush made VINLY ALBUMS and CASSETTE TAPES, and people BOUGHT them and considered side one and side two as being distinct from one another, having different attributes and feels to them, even though they were part of the same package.

Luckilly, even those youngun's here who weren't alive before cd's existed unsure.gif can still participate by looking at the handy little breakdown of songs above.

For those complainers that say that there were still Rush vinyl albums in the 90's and today (side question: has anyone figured out what on earth to call this decade yet?), I'm referring to the era when albums were still popular. Admittedly, from the mid to late 80's, many people had already moved to cd's, but it seemed a niftier ending point to choose the end of the 80's then a more random point in the 80's, and vinyl albums didn't really start to become MIA until the late 80's and early 90's on a mass level anyway.

So, what was Rush's BEST album side???

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/youmakethecall.jpg

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's Moving Pictures side one (and I know Rolinda Bonz for one agrees with me wink.gif ). If side two had been as good as side one, MP would easily be not only my favorite Rush album, but my favorite album of all time by anyone. Don't get me wrong, side two is great, but side one is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION. Tom Sawyer is my favorite Rush song, Red Barchetta is the best driving song ever, YYZ is one of the very best instrumentals ever by anyone and Limelight was my absolute favorite Rush song to see live. Side one was just absolutely killer, every single note of it - still gives me the shivers. yes.gif

Yeah, I agree with Goober (before seeing his post, honest!) - side 1 of Moving Pictures

It's not my favourite album, but seeing those four songs listed together - well every single moment is classic stuff.

Love to all

Disco

6 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
rushgoober, Clark3934, Mandalorian Hunter, rickyrob, restart, Pratt Boy

WOW! Hi, everybody! bekloppt.gif

So far VERY early on in the running, we have SIX votes for MP side one, and no votes for anything else! ohmy.gif

Remember, don't just vote, but post too or the thread will die. wink.gif

Peace,

Your friendly neighborhood Goob

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 15 2005, 12:10 PM)
Remember when ALBUMS had SIDES? They did, I swear! They had a side one and a side two, and you had to manually turn it over to get from one side to another. Really, you can't make this shit up. no.gif

Remember 8-track tapes? I had the first 2.gif album on 8 track.

You had to listen to or fast forward through songs just to get to the one you wanted to hear.

AAAAHHHH Memories.

user posted image

This, ladies and gentlemen, was the defining moment in the history of modern music. Side 1 of 2112 represents the most phenomenal, revolutionary, and perfect moment in music in the last century. Nothing captures the passion, the pathos, the brilliance, and the intensity contained in "2112."

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 15 2005, 09:34 AM)
user posted image

This, ladies and gentlemen, was the defining moment in the history of modern music. Side 1 of 2112 represents the most phenomenal, revolutionary, and perfect moment in music in the last century. Nothing captures the passion, the pathos, the brilliance, and the intensity contained in "2112."

What the hell are you trying to say here? confused13.gif Stop being so cryptic and obtuse!

Seriously though wink.gif , I figured that vote for 2112 side 1 had to be you! cool.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 15 2005, 10:11 AM)
For me it's Moving Pictures side one (and I know Rolinda Bonz for one agrees with me wink.gif ).  If side two had been as good as side one, MP would easily be not only my favorite Rush album, but my favorite album of all time by anyone.  Don't get me wrong, side two is great, but side one is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.  Tom Sawyer is my favorite Rush song, Red Barchetta is the best driving song ever, YYZ is one of the very best instrumentals ever by anyone and Limelight was my absolute favorite Rush song to see live.  Side one was just absolutely killer, every single note of it - still gives me the shivers.  yes.gif

mad.gif Is it time for your weekly beating, Goober? bd.gif

laugh.gif MP's side two isn't even my all time favorite, but I had to vote for it now as a matter of principle. *hmph* And if I had seven alter ids (as I see there are currently 8 votes for your side one,) I'd apply three of their votes to 2112's side one, three to Hemispheres' side two, and one to Caress of Steel's side two. So there! tongue.gif (well, maybe one for MP's side one, but I'd never admit it.) ph34r.gif (not to you, anyways.) pokey.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Oct 15 2005, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 15 2005, 10:11 AM)
For me it's Moving Pictures side one (and I know Rolinda Bonz for one agrees with me wink.gif ).  If side two had been as good as side one, MP would easily be not only my favorite Rush album, but my favorite album of all time by anyone.  Don't get me wrong, side two is great, but side one is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.  Tom Sawyer is my favorite Rush song, Red Barchetta is the best driving song ever, YYZ is one of the very best instrumentals ever by anyone and Limelight was my absolute favorite Rush song to see live.  Side one was just absolutely killer, every single note of it - still gives me the shivers.  yes.gif

mad.gif Is it time for your weekly beating, Goober? bd.gif

laugh.gif MP's side two isn't even my all time favorite, but I had to vote for it now as a matter of principle. *hmph* And if I had seven alter ids (as I see there are currently 8 votes for your side one,) I'd apply three of their votes to 2112's side one, three to Hemispheres' side two, and one to Caress of Steel's side two. So there! tongue.gif (well, maybe one for MP's side one, but I'd never admit it.) ph34r.gif (not to you, anyways.) pokey.gif

biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

Edited by MrMiltonBanana

Well, I'm a genuine vote for Side Two of Moving Pictures "Whatever the Goober may say".

I was torn between it and 2112 Side 1 and Permanent Waves Side 2, but Witch Hung wink.gif is such an underrated song, sanwiched in between the brilliance of The Camera Eye and my favourite Rush song ever, that MP2 won the day.

Wow, as mush as i love side 2 of AFTKS (Closer to the Heart, Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Cygnus X-1)

Side 2 from MP was my choice,i've been really getting back in to this awsome album lately,it's been calling to me 1287.gif

I can still here The Camera Eye the first time i heard it live in M.S.G during that tour,then there Wich Hunt,just out right awsome song of the times then, (Bernie Getz) There was alot of New Yorkers taking matters into there own hands when crime was running amuck back then smile.gif

Vital Signs,A tired mind become a shape-shifter

what more needs to be said 1022.gif

trink39.gif

And the vote from the man who thinks that MP is the greatest album and Red Barchetta the greatest song of all time is...

Hemispheres side 2.

Yes, you read that right.

Why?

La Villa Strangiato is my all time favourite instrumental.

The trees is great.

Circumstances is wonderful.

In fact, if H1 wasn't so pompous and overblown, it could rival MP in the greatest album stakes.

QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Oct 15 2005, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 15 2005, 12:10 PM)
Remember when ALBUMS had SIDES?  They did, I swear!  They had a side one and a side two, and you had to manually turn it over to get from one side to another.  Really, you can't make this shit up.  no.gif

Remember 8-track tapes? I had the first 2.gif album on 8 track.

You had to listen to or fast forward through songs just to get to the one you wanted to hear.

AAAAHHHH Memories.

Oh, yeah? I had 2112 on 8-track recorded from vinyl! Beat that for crappy sound!

Moving Pictures, SECOND SIDE! The Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, Vital Signs.... Beautiful. Perfection. Unmatched. Pure, unmitigated artistry. Changed my whole idea of what music SHOULD be. 653.gif

For me it's GUP 1... though MP 2 and PoW 2 are not far behind

Though I don't want to be unoriginal, it's side one of Moving Pictures for me. Four perfect songs in a row. Side two of same album and side one of 2112 deserve honorable mentions though.

Grace Under Pressure Side Two for me.

I almost voted for Presto side one though.