2019-20 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Are you ready for some Betrideildin football? Faroe Islands' top league is returning to play May 9th. So what if they're ranked 53rd in Europe, it's live action! :drool:

Are you ready for some Betrideildin football? Faroe Islands' top league is returning to play May 9th. So what if they're ranked 53rd in Europe, it's live action! :drool:

I ain't ashamed; I'll watch that.

After all these years, we finally find out what was said between Zidane and Materazzi during the 2006 World Cup final, when Zidane used his head to end the argument. Materazzi was holding Zidane's shirt, Zidane asked if he wanted it, Materazzi replied: "I'd rather have your sister." The rest is history...

I always thought it was something like "your sister's a whore," but this makes more sense (sort of). Still, losing your rag and headbutting a dude in the chest in a WC game is a pretty weak level of self-control.

• Like 2

They are supposed to have some good looking stadiums, unlike Belarus. Also, I hear soccer agents are offering their "nothing doing at the moment" players to appear in games in that league. I expect we're talking about guys not under contract.

I always thought whatever Materazzi said, Zidane could be considered to have overreacted. But then I don`t have a sister so it would have fallen a bit flat.

German football is go, May 15th! Ich bien ein Bundesliga fan, at least until the Prem gets up and running. Judging by the UK government`s current jibjab, it`s looking like we`ll have a "Project Restart" timetable by the end of next week - outdoor restrictions are almost certain to be being lifted from next week for the public, and whatever resources are needed for football will be found - the risk of the loss of some top clubs will ultimately trump any health concerns. But it`s seems counter-intuitive to me that the bottom six are arguing that neutral venues would compromise the integrity of the competition whilst also arguing they will accept such a change if the threat of relegation is removed.

• Like 2

But it`s seems counter-intuitive to me that the bottom six are arguing that neutral venues would compromise the integrity of the competition whilst also arguing they will accept such a change if the threat of relegation is removed.

"Grossly and obviously self-serving" might also describe their stance!

Miroslav Klose is going to be the new assistant coach at Bayern Munich starting in July. Klose, who was born in Poland, is the World Cup all-time leading scorer with 16 goals and is a world champion from 2014. Another reason to like Bayern. :)
  • Like 1

After all these years, we finally find out what was said between Zidane and Materazzi during the 2006 World Cup final, when Zidane used his head to end the argument. Materazzi was holding Zidane's shirt, Zidane asked if he wanted it, Materazzi replied: "I'd rather have your sister." The rest is history...

I always thought it was something like "your sister's a whore," but this makes more sense (sort of). Still, losing your rag and headbutting a dude in the chest in a WC game is a pretty weak level of self-control.

"Adebayor, Adebyayor..." Edited by pjbear05

"Adebayor, Adebyayor..."

That nice religious boy? How dare you? ;)

"Adebayor, Adebyayor..."

Hey, the Brits can be rough. First time I heard that chant, they were hauling him off the pitch on a stretcher. At least they didn't refer to him as a "slapper."

"Adebayor, Adebyayor..."

Hey, the Brits can be rough. First time I heard that chant, they were hauling him off the pitch on a stretcher. At least they didn't refer to him as a "slapper."

Yeah, but that mess in Angola was something else. The whole team of Togo could've been killed. :scared:

Five subs approved; good news for teams with deep benches!

From what I understand, every federation can decide for themselves if they want to apply this change. Zbigniew Boniek, the man in charge of soccer in Poland, already said he will not allow five substitutions. He also pointed out that in the 1982 World Cup in Spain, he played seven games in a month in hot weather...and there were only two subs allowed. I think he forgot he didn't play in the semifinal because of bookings. :P

They are supposed to have some good looking stadiums, unlike Belarus. Also, I hear soccer agents are offering their "nothing doing at the moment" players to appear in games in that league. I expect we're talking about guys not under contract.

Well, reality sets in. I watched two games today, stadiums are really horrible, almost no seats, but players are trying their best under the circumstances. I have to say a few words about the telecasts. The TV station uses one (1) camera the entire time, they go to replays when the ball is in play, they even managed to put up the wrong score on the screen and kept it there for quite a few minutes...can't wait for the second batch of matches. :popcorn:
  • Like 1

Where/how did you watch it?

LiveTv.ru. It's a Russian site and you can watch practically every sports event in the world. Highly recommended.
  • Like 1

Oh, yeah; I've heard of that; some years ago it seemed pretty buggy and virus-y -- is it more stable today?

Obviously, you have to have protection. I have Norton, so far so good. I've been on that site for about ten years, computer never stopped working. If you decide to use LiveTv.ru, I would advise you to click on the Aliez feed. It's usually at the top of the options provided. The quality, considering you're watching for free, is very good.
  • Like 1

TransferMarkt picked the best eleven players never to win the Champions League : Buffon - Clichy, Cannavaro, Thuram, Zambrotta - Ballack, Nedved, Pires - Totti, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo (the other one)

That's a pretty good XI! LOL for some of those guys, though (looking at you Ibra, Pires).

Yeah, especially Ibrahimovic. This guy played for Ajax, Juventus, Inter, Barcelona, PSG, Man U and Milan. No dice. :P
  • Like 2

Brighton has four players with the virus and yet the British Government is giving the go ahead to begin matches June 1st. At last report, there are at least five players infected in Spain. Champions League seems out of the question for now, since most nations insist on self-isolation of any visitors for fourteen days. And there's the Nation's League. UEFA appears to want it played out, even if it means three games in six days for each team. What a mess... Edited by blackhawkrush

UEFA should probably just give up; getting the half-dozen countries still involved (or is it more?) is herding cats and would take too long.

The national associations could get to a finish, but those hot-spot breakouts show how difficult it will be.

Again, maybe it's just time to declare Liverpool champions and be done with it! But I have no good ideas about relegation or promotion. Maybe the PL plays next year with 24 teams . .