2019-20 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Premier League talking about getting in the last nine games in a forty-day window, ending by June 30.

Will the players have to start training over, like it's July, or will they re-click like it's March? Will those first 3-4 games be competence shitshows, or is even bad premier soccer worth watching at this point? (Okay, the answer to that is yes).

I say just make sure all the sides have played the same number of matches (32, 33, whatever it takes to equalize everybody) and call the season.

If they end 6/30, when does the next season's training begin? A week later?

• Like 1

Premier League talking about getting in the last nine games in a forty-day window, ending by June 30.

Will the players have to start training over, like it's July, or will they re-click like it's March? Will those first 3-4 games be competence shitshows, or is even bad premier soccer worth watching at this point? (Okay, the answer to that is yes).

I say just make sure all the sides have played the same number of matches (32, 33, whatever it takes to equalize everybody) and call the season.

If they end 6/30, when does the next season's training begin? A week later?

Well, players around the world are having "between the seasons" break now, so they could start a new one without much rest. I still think the seasons should be played out as scheduled, or if that's not possible, erased from record books. I realize I wouldn't be very popular in Liverpool "at the moment". ;)

I wonder if it's high time to stop the game clock every time the ball is not in play, like the NASL did in the 1980s. I'm sick and tired of watching a player rolling on the ground, only because his team is winning 1-0 with ten minutes to go...

If the refs actually added the playacting time, instead of some fraction of it like they're offering a debt-reduction scheme, then players would learn it doesn't do them any good. The first time a "normal time" game lasts 113 minutes, there might be more attention paid

Does Turkey have a better health care system than Romania? Bizarre.

I doubt it. Moreover, at last check, Turkey has 101,790 people infected with 2,491 dead, while Romania stands at 10,096 infected and 545 dead. I know they're talking about keeping all the teams in one region where there's lots of stadiums but still... :crazy:

Holland will not play soccer until September, therefore the country decided not to have a champion in the 2019-20 season. At the time of the stoppage, Ajax and Alkmaar were leveled on points at the top of Eredivisie...

Well, then it's a good thing Liverpool were cruising to the league title and can be declared champions with hurting anyone's feelings!

A shiny dime says they contrive a way to "finish" the season.

Well, then it's a good thing Liverpool were cruising to the league title and can be declared champions with hurting anyone's feelings!

A shiny dime says they contrive a way to "finish" the season.

Premier League wants to return to playing on June 8th, finish the season by July 27th and start the next one August 22nd. You're going to have to sweat it out a little longer, Nova. ;)
  • Like 1

Russkie and Czech leagues gearing for May 25 start. Bundesliga wants to get cracking on 5/25, but initial reports are hedging, citing insufficient testing warrants holding off, even with no spectators in the seats.

In other news, a proposal by FIFA would allow teams 5 subtitutions per game, up from the current 3. Bear likes.

Just more headache for the managers during a match! Still, if they're going to do a game every three or four days, there needs to be more squad rotation, somehow.

Maybe FIFA needs to approve unlimited changes on the fly -- like in hockey!

In Poland, they were trying to make the referees wear face masks during games. Fortunately, they dropped the idea. I mean, everybody is going to get tested before the match. What's to be afraid of? Anyway, this piss-ass league is going to re-start at the end of May. :popcorn:

Just more headache for the managers during a match! Still, if they're going to do a game every three or four days, there needs to be more squad rotation, somehow.

Part of the strategy of the game is when to use your subs and to do it wisely. To me it adds interest to the game.

Signed

David Fairclough

• Like 2

Part of the strategy of the game is when to use your subs and to do it wisely. To me it adds interest to the game.

Signed

David Fairclough

That is if you can find one without a Corona virus. :smash: What?
  • Like 1

Signed

David Fairclough

Bournemouth Gynecologists for the title
  • Like 1

Signed

David Fairclough

Bournemouth Gynecologists for the title

"Well, some of us don't like men crawling all over us" - Megan Rapinoe.
  • Like 1

Signed

David Fairclough

Oh, uh, David, how wonderful to hear from you! I don't think it's a good idea forever, but just to lighten the player load during the three games a week stretch! I think when to sub and when not to sub is important, but desperate times, etc.

:)

• Like 1

Here's another crazy idea. Soccer agent Gary Williams is trying to get the entire Premier League to Perth, Australia and have it play out the season there. Apparently, some clubs are in favor of this plan. The region has four fairly large stadiums and a low number of infections...

That is a crazy idea! Perth, huh? Is Australia less infected? I suppose there's less coming and going. Geez, what's the time difference on that? Live audiences would be low . . .
  • Like 1

After all these years, we finally find out what was said between Zidane and Materazzi during the 2006 World Cup final, when Zidane used his head to end the argument. Materazzi was holding Zidane's shirt, Zidane asked if he wanted it, Materazzi replied: "I'd rather have your sister." The rest is history...
  • Like 1