The 2019 NFL Season Thread

Principled Man

So, it is possible to play QB effectively in the playoffs after age 40 after all. :) Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

With a first and goal from the 5yd line, Carroll the Idiot chooses not to give Beast Mode a try... Given a do-over thanks to an Eagles roughing the passer penalty, Carroll reconsiders and the Hawks take the lead.

Really too bad about them Cheatriots, innit?

Yeah. The offense really didn't play well We'll see if they rebound next season, as they usually do.

Do you think Tommie boy will still be their QB?

Hard to say. I can't think of a team right now that he would be a good fit for, and the Patriots don't have his heir ready to go, unless Stidham has done things in practice I don't know about. But he's looking for a lot of money, and he'll be 43 when next season starts. Still, I can't imagine he wants to go out with that game.

So, it is possible to play QB effectively in the playoffs after age 40 after all. :)

Did you miss Super Bowl LII? Or the playoffs that season?

Or Super Bowl LIII and the playoffs that season?

Brady's best Super Bowl (LII)? Yeah, he was almost as good as Nick Foles. (As a QB; he wasn't nearly the receiver, which could have made a difference in the outcome.)

Super Bowl LIII, the one where they scored 13 points and were bailed out by the defense? Or the playoff game where he was bailed out by Dee Ford? He did play well against the Chargers, I'll give you that...

So, it is possible to play QB effectively in the playoffs after age 40 after all. :)

Brady's best Super Bowl (LII)? Yeah, he was almost as good as Nick Foles. (As a QB; he wasn't nearly the receiver, which could have made a difference in the outcome.)

Super Bowl LIII, the one where they scored 13 points and were bailed out by the defense? Or the playoff game where he was bailed out by Dee Ford? He did play well against the Chargers, I'll give you that...

He has, however, shown “it is possible to play QB in the playoffs after age 40,” which was your point, or so I understood it to be.

Lesson of the week, on Wild Card Weekend, never get on a team with a team with a QB that's over 40, or with the name of Josh.

Lesson of the week, on Wild Card Weekend, never get on a team with a team with a QB that's over 40, or with the name of Josh.

He did well, considering his age and the sudden fill in he had to make. Kind of falls in line with the being "the year of injuries" for the Eagles. That helmet to helmet hit on Wentz deserved a targeting call, though. :(

He has, however, shown “it is possible to play QB in the playoffs after age 40,” which was your point, or so I understood it to be.

My point was actually a joke, but you're right, Brady had his best Super Bowl after he turned 40, and almost pulled it out at the end. His performance at such an age was positively Bondsian. :)

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

My point was actually a joke, but you're right, Brady had his best Super Bowl after he turned 40, and almost pulled it out at the end. His performance at such an age was positively Bondsian. :)

Now, had you said, “after age 42, ...” :)

• Like 1

He's done?

• Like 1

We probably would have lost anyway, but Carson Wentz got a concussion and knocked out of game on a dirty, purposeful helmet to helmet hit by Jadeveon Clowney. Are the Seahawks immune to penalties or suspensions by the NFL's own rules? Just asking because heaven forfend this happened at new England I'm sure he would have been led out in cuffs.

"NFL referee Shawn Smith's response to a pool reporter question on Jadeveon Clowney hit on Carson Wentz and why a penalty wasn't called: "He was a runner and he did not give himself up. We saw incidental helmet contact, and in our judgement, we didn't rule that to be a foul.""

Watch the replay - no f-cking way that's incidental. These refs are f-cking morons.

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 2

We probably would have lost anyway, but Carson Wentz got a concussion and knocked out of game on a dirty, purposeful helmet to helmet hit by Jadeveon Clowney. Are the Seahawks immune to penalties or suspensions by the NFL's own rules? Just asking because heaven forfend this happened at new England I'm sure he would have been led out in cuffs.

"NFL referee Shawn Smith's response to a pool reporter question on Jadeveon Clowney hit on Carson Wentz and why a penalty wasn't called: "He was a runner and he did not give himself up. We saw incidental helmet contact, and in our judgement, we didn't rule that to be a foul.""

Watch the replay - no f-cking way that's incidental. These refs are f-cking morons.

Wentz was on his way down to the ground, so close that milliseconds separated the hit to the back of his head and the front of his head hitting the ground. There was ZERO valid reason for that hit.

• Like 3

He's done?

Yep.

Until July.

Wentz was on his way down to the ground, so close that milliseconds separated the hit to the back of his head and the front of his head hitting the ground. There was ZERO valid reason for that hit.

The other issue is that the head contact was NOT incidental. Incidental means "their heads happened to collide" - Clowney specifically moved his head purposefully to make the helmet to helmet contact. Carroll and his gang encouraging dirty play and fighting is not a new idea, and they are a good squad, but that was a particularly awful call by the refs. And Im on record here as to why I hate refs and umpires these days.

He's done?

Yep.

Until July.

Gonna become a Charger fan?

• Like 1

The other issue is that the head contact was NOT incidental. Incidental means "their heads happened to collide" - Clowney specifically moved his head purposefully to make the helmet to helmet contact. Carroll and his gang encouraging dirty play and fighting is not a new idea, and they are a good squad, but that was a particularly awful call by the refs. And Im on record here as to why I hate refs and umpires these days.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't incidental, but football players duck or drop their heads on lots of tackles. It's instinctual. Also, having the benefit of instant replay, it's much easier to make a call instead of as it's happening, along with everything else. Not sure how you make the jump to Pete Carroll encouraging dirty play, other than maybe a little butthurt that the Iggles lost. This site shows they are no different than the league average in the penalties that you seem to be saying they are guilty of, while the Eagles are quite a bit above the average in unnecessary roughness.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it was or wasn't incidental, but football players duck or drop their heads on lots of tackles. It's instinctual. Also, having the benefit of instant replay, it's much easier to make a call instead of as it's happening, along with everything else. Not sure how you make the jump to Pete Carroll encouraging dirty play, other than maybe a little butthurt that the Iggles lost. This site shows they are no different than the league average in the penalties that you seem to be saying they are guilty of, while the Eagles are quite a bit above the average in unnecessary roughness.

Here's the hit, which looks worse from other angles I couldn't get to copy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERrgnR2WsM

Another view. Seems avoidable in terms of using the head to me, and I was, if anything, rooting for Seattle.

Not butthurt, Seahawks a better team. Over the years some of his his d players have been known to play dirty. I have no beef with them losing, but that "lowering the head" when hitting someone isn't the thing here, he was trying to knock him out of the game. And while not playing the conspiracy card, yeah Eagles play tough, but also play rough with protected snowflakes lol.

The Seahawks 11 wins were also far more significant in their tough division. The Iggles were reduced to a practice squad (Id actually be concerned if I was a Seattle fan that they only won 17-9 against a team w no starting QB, WRs, RBs, small number of lineman and d backs) who on top of that didnt play well til December in arguably one of the NFLs worst divisions.