2019 MLB Season Thread! Harper? Vlad Jr.? A's New Stadium? Play Ball!!

RUSHHEAD666

Mike Trout had a phenomenal year, but I don't think the MVP should ever go to a player on a losing team.

They should rename the award then.

Why?

The V stands for value. There are objective ways of measuring that.

Metrics for a basement dweller aren't of value, imo.

A-Rod had the best stats, but what value did he add to his team, which finished last?

Value is value. Add a qualifier to the name if you mean something else.

Mike Trout had a phenomenal year, but I don't think the MVP should ever go to a player on a losing team.

Why?

A-Rod had the best stats, but what value did he add to his team, which finished last?

Value is singular in definition? Nonsense.

Here's what comes up as a top definition...

"the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something."

What is the importance of efforts that don't consistently result in an end goal in comparison to those that do??

Why?

"the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something."

What is the importance of efforts that don't consistently result in an end goal in comparison to those that do??

So the value of a player is dependent on the performance of his teammates? :LOL: Maybe the word "player" needs to be qualified, too.

Why?

So the value of a player is dependent on the performance of his teammates? :LOL: Maybe the word "player" needs to be qualified, too.

It's a team sport, lol.

Why?

It's a team sport, lol.

It's an individual award, lol.

Why?

It's a team sport, lol.

So, offer me a definition.

Why?

It's a team sport, lol.

Wins above replacement. Or maybe xwOBA for hitting and DER for defense. FIP for pitchers.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Why?

It's a team sport, lol.

Wins above replacement. Or maybe xwOBA for hitting and DER for defense. FIP for pitchers.

Sounds like you'll need to change the name of the award.

Why?

It's a team sport, lol.

Nope, these are objective measures of value.

Why?

It's a team sport, lol.

of production

Why?

It's a team sport, lol.

of production

What else contributes to winning baseball games?

And what's your definition of value?

It's an interesting debate. I can see the point of arguing that a player can't have been too "valuable" if his team finished last. What would have happened if he wasn't on the team? It's not Best Player but Most Valuable. I've heard some writers argue it can't be a starting pitcher, because he only plays every fifth game. I think that argument is, to borrow a phrase, nonsense.

Not to get too granular here, but is it "Most Valuable" to a team, or to the sport? In other words, couldn't "Most Valuable" simply mean best, regardless of which team? Maybe they'd have only won 36 games if he weren't there?