Did the Counterparts Messageboard blow up?

chemistry1973

Roody's revenge?

Dude - what happened over there? Any word?

I hit up FJ about it a few days ago on Facebook. He said the hosting company has been unresponsive to his inquiries, which is unusual because they normally are. But then he went on to say "they just need to bounce the site. I don’t expect it to be a big deal." Not exactly sure what that means, to be honest. He said he has backups and will move the site if necessary but he'd rather not do that. Says he'll continue to wait for their response at least until the end of the week before he does anything radical.

I just read this. Kind of pisses me off.

He's paying good money to keep that site up. The hosting provider is billing, they should be responsive. Not acceptable under any circumstance.

• Like 3

Let me preface this by saying I really don't know a lot about how TRF is run by its admins on a daily basis. Light touch? Heavy handed? Somewhere in-between? Probably a light touch, I'm guessing, with a like-minded, self-policing membership. I also want to say I've mostly been just screwing around in this thread if that's not already obvious,

I don't presume to speak for other CPers. This is all just my opinion.

If TRF wants to be a safe haven from trolls, more power to them. They can run it anyway they see fit. But there's a difference between a permissive posting environment, which CP employs, and simply letting trolls run roughshod over your board.

I can't stand trolls either. But since CP has traditionally promoted free speech it's been sometimes, in the past, a tough call on what's acceptable speech and what's straight up abuse. It can be even tougher when a debate erupts amongst the membership on what actually constitutes trolling when a purported trolling event occurs. Spamming multiple threads, randomly insulting members without cause, making threats, defaming someone's character are all grounds for banning in my book if the behavior takes place on a continual basis. That said. there is a greater permissiveness in our political forum for insults to fly but only a few current members engage each other in this way nowadays and there seems to be an understanding that the insults stay in politics and not spill over into the general threads. So this is not considered trolling on our board. It can even be fun to witness these back-and-forths and you get the sense they're putting on a show for us. They're awfully good at what they do. lol.

CP ain't perfect admittedly and free speech ain't always pretty. Past real trolls have often played the free speech card in an attempt to take advantage of CP's permissiveness. It can be especially difficult on an admin when a clique of formerly upstanding members turns against the board for some imagined slight or no slight at all and starts trolling the board in, what seems to me, a weird hive-mindededness and in an often very take no prisoners way. How long do you let members who were friendly perhaps just the day before continue this kind of behavior before hitting the ban button? It's a tough call. You hope they return to being civil but sometimes they don't. And understand these member-turned-trolls often still have a lot of friends and allies on the board lobbying for them so it can start becoming a very politically divisive thing that can actually lead to years long tension among the remaining members. And to this day there still could be differing opinions on who the actual trolls were during our hostile intra-community outbreaks.

Our Brit-trolls, on the other hand, who cheekily own that title, are not actual trolls. They can be tenacious, suffer-no-fools debaters, are often contrarian, and tend to abhor fanboyism. They will criticize the band's music and the band itself as much as they please, thank you very much. But none of this is what actual trolls do because there's usually a thought-out reason for their criticisms. At one time, I'll admit they weren't everyone's cup o' tea but, dare I say it, they've mellowed quite a bit over the years.

The rest of the membership is not a lot different than you guys, really. CP is a lot smaller now and that's helped us a lot when it comes to us getting along with each other. General assholeishness is way down. :blush: But we still like a bit of edginess, memeyness, and a little bit of just-for-fun ball-busting in our posting style but, hey, I bet this board is no stranger to that stuff either. And while we think it's perfectly fine to criticize Rush and their music, no one should be mindlessly spamming every thread with it. You really are a troll in that case.

But I love that CP has always had a light touch with the ban button and censorship. The freedom we've had over the years has been worth the strife, imo. We're not as young as we used to be so I reckon most of us don't want to involve ourselves in flame wars anyway. Outside the politics forum, we mainly just engage in a lot of cheekiness.

CP still might not be for everyone but I'm hoping this helps to dispel the myth that we're all just jerks.

:rush:

• Like 5

Roody's revenge?

Dude - what happened over there? Any word?

I hit up FJ about it a few days ago on Facebook. He said the hosting company has been unresponsive to his inquiries, which is unusual because they normally are. But then he went on to say "they just need to bounce the site. I don’t expect it to be a big deal." Not exactly sure what that means, to be honest. He said he has backups and will move the site if necessary but he'd rather not do that. Says he'll continue to wait for their response at least until the end of the week before he does anything radical.

I just read this. Kind of pisses me off.

He's paying good money to keep that site up. The hosting provider is billing, they should be responsive. Not acceptable under any circumstance.

In all fairness, I left out one word of what FJ actually said. He said they've been somewhat unresponsive. Still not cool though.

• Like 2

Ya know, I just read that 9 page thread about CP that was posted in 2011 and recently bumped. G-darn it, there's a lot of hate in that thread not to mention the hate in here! It comes off like a board war where one side doesn't know a war is happening. I've been at CP virtually since the beginning and I only remember TRF being mentioned a handful of times in snarky fashion and most of those comments came from a former member who is now a full-time member here. So I really don't understand all the hate and the hopeful wishes that CP is finally finished. I suspect it's more the culture of the site that's hated than anything CP ever said or did to TRF.

Huh? Where's the hate in this thread? Besides all the posts calling us out for our use of the word filter, that is. ;)

Well at least one of your members in this thread is practically dancing on our grave while another has taken the opportunity of CP's woes to promote his personal brand. lol.

Let me preface this by saying I really don't know a lot about how TRF is run by its admins on a daily basis. Light touch? Heavy handed? Somewhere in-between? Probably a light touch, I'm guessing, with a like-minded, self-policing membership. I also want to say I've mostly been just screwing around in this thread if that's not already obvious,

If TRF wants to be a safe haven from trolls, more power to them. They can run it anyway they see fit. But there's a difference between a permissive posting environment, which CP employs, and simply letting trolls run roughshod over your board.

I can't stand trolls either. But since CP has traditionally promoted free speech it's been sometimes, in the past, a tough call on what's acceptable speech and what's straight up abuse. It can be even tougher when a debate erupts amongst the membership on what actually constitutes trolling when a purported trolling event occurs. Spamming multiple threads, randomly insulting members without cause, making threats, defaming someone's character are all grounds for banning in my book if the behavior takes place on a continual basis. That said. there is a greater permissiveness in our political forum for insults to fly but only a few current members engage each other in this way nowadays and there seems to be an understanding that the insults stay in politics and not spill over into the general threads. So this is not considered trolling on our board. It can even be fun to witness these back-and-forths and you get the sense they're putting on a show for us. They're awfully good at what they do. lol.

CP ain't perfect admittedly and free speech ain't always pretty. Past real trolls have often played the free speech card in an attempt to take advantage of CP's permissiveness. It can be especially difficult on an admin when a clique of formerly upstanding members turns against the board for some imagined slight or no slight at all and starts trolling the board in, what seems to me, a weird hive-mindededness and in an often very take no prisoners way. How long do you let members who were friendly perhaps just the day before continue this kind of behavior before hitting the ban button? It's a tough call. You hope they return to being civil but sometimes they don't. And understand these member-turned-trolls often still have a lot of friends and allies on the board lobbying for them so it can start becoming a very politically divisive thing that can actually lead to years long tension among the remaining members. And to this day there still could be differing opinions on who the actual trolls were during our hostile intra-community outbreaks.

Our Brit-trolls, on the other hand, who cheekily own that title, are not actual trolls. They can be tenacious, suffer-no-fools debaters, are often contrarian, and tend to abhor fanboyism. They will criticize the band's music and the band itself as much as they please, thank you very much. But none of this is what actual trolls do because there's usually a thought-out reason for their criticisms. At one time, I'll admit they weren't everyone's cup o' tea but, dare I say it, they've mellowed quite a bit over the years.

The rest of the membership is not a lot different than you guys, really. CP is a lot smaller now and that's helped us a lot when it comes to us getting along with each other. General assholeishness is way down. :blush: But we still like a bit of edginess, memeyness, and a little bit of just-for-fun ball-busting in our posting style but, hey, I bet this board is no stranger to that stuff either. And while we think it's perfectly fine to criticize Rush and their music, no one should be mindlessly spamming every thread with it. You really are a troll in that case.

But I love that CP has always had a light touch with the ban button and censorship. The freedom we've had over the years has been worth the strife, imo. We're not as young as we used to be so I reckon most of us don't want to involve ourselves in flame wars anyway. Outside the politics forum, we mainly just engage in a lot of cheekiness.

CP still might not be for everyone but I'm hoping this helps to dispel the myth that we're all just jerks.

Well said.

• Like 1

The whole shcmoog thing over there was pretty bad. Like where does fun trolling end, and abuse of the board begin?

It did there.

But hell, at least I was able to turn it into an opportunity to post photos of the bathroom at CBGB. So you see, every cloud has a silver lining. Even if that silver lining is plastered with Dead Kennedys and Agnostic Front stickers....

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Speak for yourself, c***sucker. :eyeroll:

Anyone got a linky to that 11 page CP thread on here, please? I can't find it.

Here it is. Okay probably not board war level hate but many of the posts pretty much depict us as assholes. It's actually kind of funny. Tony R makes some good posts defending us but he was mostly preaching to deaf ears. Other TRFers were cool too though so it's not a total bash-fest. Hell, for our size back then I thought our admins did a pretty good job managing the rebel rousing especially when compared to the rest of the Internet during those wilder west days. (That is except when Ken and Julie would intentionally release super troll Oax onto the board just for shits and giggles. lol.)

http://www.therushfo...terparts-forum/

• Like 2

I did, dummy.

• Like 1

Anyone got a linky to that 11 page CP thread on here, please? I can't find it.

Here it is. Okay probably not board war level hate but many of the posts pretty much depict us as assholes. It's actually kind of funny. Tony R makes some good posts defending us but he was mostly preaching to deaf ears. Other TRFers were cool too though so it's not a total bash-fest. Hell, for our size back then I thought our admins did a pretty good job managing the rebel rousing especially when compared to the rest of the Internet during those wilder west days. (That is except when Ken and Julie would intentionally release super troll Oax onto the board just for shits and giggles. lol.)

http://www.therushfo...terparts-forum/

Thanks for the linky.

I remember the Oaxinator. We were buds on the Geddyboard. In those wild pre-9/11 days when I caught the wrath of Geddy himself for posting porn on his board. ;)

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

I did, dummy.

What, just because you used words like "I'm"? Put your hat back on, "we're" tired of looking at your third eye. :finbar:

I did, dummy.

What, just because you used words like "I'm"? Put your hat back on, "we're" tired of looking at your third eye. :finbar:

So much for the olive branch but I guess you're bound to come up against at least one toothless, dumb, mean, squinty-eyed yokal when trying out a new board. :)

Deliverance.png

• Like 1

I could really get my inner asshole going on CP. From what I understand (from a PM by a different Brit) it was me who finally drove Slim away for good, which I had mixed feelings about. I liked him, but hypocrisy is hypocrisy, no matter who's doing it.

The political board there was actually dominated by liberals, as opposed to here. I got in many heated discussions over there with liberals, and as I've shifted my views over the years, now I have them here with the extreme conservatives. I'm a mess.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

They're having server issues. Why would you want a fellow message board about RUSH to go away? Maybe you are 1 of those that can't handle their version of message boarding, allowing all the bad words and stuff. :cheerleader:

The more the better, and CP has too much history to just dismiss them.

Meh, they don’t have me.

EGO much?

0DD52Py.gif

I provide valuable content that you can't get over there.

CP provides a 'less safe' environment that some prefer. Content and knowledge are one thing, and everyone is grateful (or should be) to those who provide it. However, an environment with looser rules is appealing to some. Myself included. I never could color inside the lines. ;)

I was always OCD about that...lol

qZ2cAX3.gif

• Like 1

You guys really need to drop the swear filter. Saying f**k is practically mandatory on the Internet now. I mean even the Pope drops a few F-bombs every time he addresses the College of Bishops.

Yeah!

Time to make some changes around here!

Yeah man, let's make this place EXACTLY like CP!

Don't wanna do THAT. This place is what it is. The people who started it are as cool as the people who started CP. They had a DIFFERENT view of things, and it's as valid as the people who started CP.

NAGAdFC.gif

I like this place . Been here for many years and have a sense of belonging and community .

Spent some fun nights here especialy when the tours were on and the Chat Root was active .

To be honest -No fault of anyone here because everyone is very nice but ever since chat was removed the visits are less and less

Starting to Feel like a ghost town .everything has its peaks an valleys

• Like 1

To all of my friends from my old Board, CP, it's been fun seeing you again, and I want to thank you for being open about 'trying' out TRF for a resting place. I LOVE it here! I'm sad to hear of the server situation happening to CP AGAIN...Take care, my friends!

R6BrgXP.jpg

• Like 2

You guys really need to drop the swear filter. Saying f**k is practically mandatory on the Internet now. I mean even the Pope drops a few F-bombs every time he addresses the College of Bishops.

That's been brought up a number of times over the years that I have been here. They don't seem to want to waiver on censoring certain words. Which really doesn't make any sense to me these days. In the early days of the internet it was more appropriate. But now that everyone has access to everything seeing the word "f**k" written out is far from the worst thing someone can come across while browsing the internet. Kids say worse than that in middle school.

Yeah, it is everywhere, which is why I don't like to see it here. Pretty much everyone here are intelligent individuals, well spoken most of the time, and can think of a better word if they need to. IMHO. :codger:

• Like 1

Yeah!

Time to make some changes around here!

Yeah man, let's make this place EXACTLY like CP!

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: