2018-2019 College Slavery, err, Football Thread

pjbear05

Perhaps it would have been better if Georgia had been invited. Such a move would have provoked determination to expand the playoff . . . ;)

Not having 8 teams in is a complete joke.

Oh, I forgot, it's about academics. :wacko:

• Like 1

Okay, so Bama, Clemson, and ND are all in . Anybody disagree with that?

As for the 4th team --- who should it be? I'll go with Oklahoma

I would be shocked if anyone but Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma were in.

Are they the best four teams? I don't think so.

Nick Saban agrees with you.

He stated in an interview after the game that Georgia is one of the top 4 teams in the country.

A number of talking heads are agreeing with him.

However, regardless of whether that is true or not, imo Georgia should not be invited. Two losses, not even winning the conference, just having had a chance to beat Bama and blowing it, etc, -- putting them in over teams like ND or Oklahoma would shake the heavens with screams about bias towards the SEC. Please, let us not have that.

Regardless of who gets in, those people paying attention already know there is an SEC bias. Just as there is a Notre Dame bias, even when they're having a shitty year (which is typically the case).

I would be shocked if anyone but Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma were in.

He stated in an interview after the game that Georgia is one of the top 4 teams in the country.

However, regardless of whether that is true or not, imo Georgia should not be invited. Two losses, not even winning the conference, just having had a chance to beat Bama and blowing it, etc, -- putting them in over teams like ND or Oklahoma would shake the heavens with screams about bias towards the SEC. Please, let us not have that.

Regardless of who gets in, those people paying attention already know there is an SEC bias. Just as there is a Notre Dame bias, even when they're having a shitty year (which is typically the case).

Are you really going to claim that Bama being in the playoff is the product of some bias towards the SEC? If not, then you are just wallowing in your SEC hatred, pointlessly.

Glad to see UCF coming back to win, especially after losing their QB.

Auburn was last year's Goliath, and UCF stoned them. Who does David get this time?

LSU

PlayStation Fiesta Bowl

No. 11 LSU vs. No. 8 UCF

1 p.m. ET, ESPN

State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona |

Tickets

Glendale, Arizona

Seeing as how UCF is the higher ranked team, how are they a david versus a goliath here? Wasn't David supposed to be a tremendous underdog?

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

Are you really going to claim that Bama being in the playoff is the product of some bias towards the SEC? If not, then you are just wallowing in your SEC hatred, pointlessly.

Again with the putting words in my mouth. Of course Alabama deserves to be in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean there isn't an SEC bias in the media and among their fans.

Again with the putting words in my mouth. Of course Alabama deserves to be in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean there isn't an SEC bias in the media and among their fans.

Dude,arguably Georgia was just kept out of the playoffs because of an anti-SEC bias, to appease all the SEC haters.

I thought the hypothetical Vegas spreads they were talking about before the announcement were interesting. Assuming that Alabama and Clemson were 1 and 2, Vegas had Georgia 3, Oklahoma 4, Ohio State 5, and Notre Dame 6.

I thought the hypothetical Vegas spreads they were talking about before the announcement were interesting. Assuming that Alabama and Clemson were 1 and 2, Vegas had Georgia 3, Oklahoma 4, Ohio State 5, and Notre Dame 6.

SEC BIAS!

Penn State was hoping for the Peach Bowl, but ended up with the Citrus Bowl vs. Kentucky. Should still be OK, given the way they played this year. At least it's somewhere warm. A few years ago they made the Pinstripe Bowl! I get that it's supposed to be exciting to play in Yankee Stadium (I guess) but watching your team there when everyone else (except the Potato Bowl :LOL: ) is somewhere kind of warm would not be the bowl experience I would dream of.

Penn State was hoping for the Peach Bowl, but ended up with the Citrus Bowl vs. Kentucky.

That is a good match up, imo.

Sorry, but I have to pull for Kentucky, SEC, SEC, SEC! ;)

• Like 1

SEC BIAS!

I doubt you care enough to do so, but if you look at how many times SEC teams were on the channels available over the air, plus ESPN, and what time of day they were on, you'd find they got more air time than other conferences and more of it in "prime time" (EST).

NBC has a contract to show all the Notre Dame home games, but the other networks showed the SEC at home or away.

Perhaps it would have been better if Georgia had been invited. Such a move would have provoked determination to expand the playoff . . . ;)

Not having 8 teams in is a complete joke.

Having four us certainly stupid. Just two would be better than four, imo.

Even expanded I still prefer the old bowl system. It's not pro football, and we don't need a playoff.

For the record, and as a very long time Sooner fan it pains me to say this, but Alabama shouldn't have much problem with them. I think the only chance OU has is if there are a few turnovers in their favor. I suppose Alabama could have their worst game of the season and Oklahoma could have their best, but I'm not holding my breath.

So many great bowl games this year. My favorite is the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl between Middle Tennessee and Appalachian State. But shouldn't it be sponsored by Skoal? Or at least the trophy could be a giant wooden tooth...

Fave for me is Chick-fil-a Peach Bowl 12/29, Michigan v Florida, followed by UCF v LSU.

Very few people are expecting UCF to win but if they do, some folks will never hear the end of it. Arrgh, matey.

It escapes me why you seem to think that UCF beating LSU would be something surprising to me.

Fave for me is Chick-fil-a Peach Bowl 12/29, Michigan v Florida, followed by UCF v LSU.

Very few people are expecting UCF to win but if they do, some folks will never hear the end of it. Arrgh, matey.

It escapes me why you seem to think that UCF beating LSU would be something surprising to me.

Because based on your posts, you don't think they should be considered in the same league as most SEC teams.

Because based on your posts, you don't think they should be considered in the same league as most SEC teams.

I have consistently maintained that they don't belong in the playoff.

Neither do all SEC teams except Bama and arguably Georgia.

If I were to be pressed on where I think UCF would have finished if they had played in the SEC this year, I would say they would have 4 losses at least.

Trying to compare how UCF fared against common opponents of the SEC: there is only one such common opponent, Memphis, which played against UCF twice and Missouri from the SEC once.

Memphis gave UCF a lot of trouble twice, once in the regular season and again on Saturday. The first game, UCF won 31-30. The second game, 56-41. In both of those games, UCF was losing at halftime and still losing when the 4th quarter started.

In contrast, Missouri stomped Memphis with no difficulty. Missouri was winning 21-3 at the end of the 1rst quarter, 48-20 at halftime, 62-27 at the end of the 3rd, with a final score of 65-33 Missouri is just a standard middle of the pack SEC team, finishing at 5th place in the SEC East (out of 7 places) with a 4-4 conference record and 8-4 record overall.

I have consistently maintained that they don't belong in the playoff.

Neither do all SEC teams except Bama and arguably Georgia.

If I were to be pressed on where I think UCF would have finished if they had played in the SEC this year, I would say they would have 4 losses at least.

Regarding UCF's opponent, LSU:

LSU finished in 3rd place in the SEC West, with a 5-3 Conference record and 9-3 overall. As to where LSU ranks in the SEC as a whole, that is debatable. LSU was one of 6 teams to finish with 5-3 or better conference records. Clearly, the cream of those are Alabama and Georgia. The other 4, all with 5-3 records, are LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, and Kentucky. LSU did not play Kentucky, but did play against both TAM and Florida, losing both of those head to head match ups.

Can the playoff be made any less interesting with all the "best four teams" nonsense? Of course good teams will be left out because of tough losses. In the end, the best teams should have to win when it matters. Lose twice, you're out, even if they're two close ones against good teams.
  • Like 1

Can the playoff be made any less interesting with all the "best four teams" nonsense? Of course good teams will be left out because of tough losses. In the end, the best teams should have to win when it matters. Lose twice, you're out, even if they're two close ones against good teams.

The committee apparently did not select the playoff according to any "4 best teams" criterion. You should be happy.

I agree with Paul Finebaum that the selection committee took the path of least resistance, selecting according to what would cause the least overall complaining.

• Like 1

The committee apparently did not select the playoff according to any "4 best teams" criterion. You should be happy.

I agree with Paul Finebaum that the selection committee took the path of least resistance, selecting according to what would cause the least overall complaining.

Pussies.