Don't believe the negative speculation wrt Aspertame, correlation is not causation

There's nothing wrong with real sugar, and artificial sweeteners taste like shit. All of them.

It took me about two weeks to get used to the taste of diet soda.

Now the sugary stuff tastes like shit to me. But diet coke is the nectar of the gods.

• Like 2

I agree it is an acquired taste...I remember forcing myself to drink Tab in the 70's, it tasted bloody awful! Aspartame has improved the taste by leaps and bounds. I do find that if I eat food items sweetened with it, I get a headache but not from drinking the sodas.

I like Splenda for ice/hot tea, it is the closest to sugar taste to me.

• Like 1

No aspartame, thanks. Read the research on neurological damage from that and MSG. I drink diet soda from the local yokel chain market, which uses Splenda. Unfortunately I finished my yearly stash of Kosher Coke, so any regular soda is with HFCS. Coffee, tea, and cereal I use saccharin.

Asparatme is probably the most extensively tested food additive on the market. Not only has it repeatedly been proven to be perfectly safe, IMO it flat out tastes better than sugar with a cleaner more immediately sweet taste. Aspartame has repeatedly been slandered, with big sugar spending hundreds of thousands of dollars desperately trying to find evidence of its maleffect, hoping to squash the competition, to no avail...

When I see sugar-free products marked "Aspartame Free", I know to steer clear. I don't like giving my business to irrational companies that pander to consumer ignorance. Especially when they go to less extensively tested products as a result... That's just outright foolishness. Sucralose and Truvia may be completely safe, and my inkling is that they are (as is Saccharine for any reasonable level of human consumption), but why on Earth would you avoid a product that you know is safe, in favor of one that may still carry question marks?

Edited by KenJennings

I've tried lots of diet pops with the various types of sweeteners, and it's almost always the after taste that is objectionable. I don't drink a lot of it anyway, so I'll stick with the real sugar.

I don't drink soda too often, so I don't need to go the diet route anyway. But every artificially sweetened drink I've tried, no matter the sweetener, had some sort of objectionable aftertaste. And even if I were a big soda drinker, if it took that much time and effort to get used to the taste of a diet version, then that defeats the reason for drinking it in the first place. It's supposed to be a sweet treat that doesn't require extra training. I don't need soda/sweetened iced tea/etc. that badly.

• Like 2

I agree it is an acquired taste...I remember forcing myself to drink Tab in the 70's, it tasted bloody awful! Aspartame has improved the taste by leaps and bounds. I do find that if I eat food items sweetened with it, I get a headache but not from drinking the sodas.

I like Splenda for ice/hot tea, it is the closest to sugar taste to me.

Ugh I remember drinking some of my sister's diet tab back then...tasted like Satan's piss.

I used to be a diet coke junkie, but I went to water instead. If I'm in the mood for something carbonated, I'll drink one of those fruity flavored 'ICE' waters.

We always tick off the waitress when we go out when we just order water instead of $3-5 drinks.