Keith Richards

Lorraine

One of the all time greats.

I think it amazes me he could do so much considering he was out of it most of the time.

A lot of the greats would have never come up with most of the stuff they did if they weren't out of it. Whether they were on something or they were naturally like that it helped a lot with their creativity.

Keith came up with many of the most iconic rock riffs of all time. One of the all time best rhythm guitar players. He has such a laid back vibe. Sometimes it doesn't even look like he's putting any effort into his playing but there's sound so he's doing something right lol.

He looks so lazy, so nonchalant, that's because he literally can't play it any other way but right, so there's nothing to worry about.

He's another example of why being a virtuoso (like Malmsteen or Vai) =/= being a great guitarist.

• Like 1

In relation to the their songwriting, I always got the feeling that Keith was a blues purist - as a writer and as a player, while Mick was more open to experimentation and exploration of styles. A casual scan of any Beatles doc will reveal just how much Mick had his head stuck up the Beatles' collective backsides, and even John Lennon mentioned that whatever they did, the Stones were doing the following year. And after the Beatles split, the Stones sort of fell into that classic Stones vibe with little variation over the remainder of their career. But early on Mick and Brian Jones were always pushing things. Satanic Majesties, their flirtations with disco and later New Wave... I think that comes from Mick. Keith seems like he could care less and just wants to play straight rock/country/blues. Mick called Exile an overrated album; Keith hated Satanic Majesties. Maybe I am reading too much into it but that is what I come away with - and to be honest I always liked the stuff they did when they stepped outside their box a little: She's a Rainbow, We Love You, and later, Emotional Rescue and Undercover of the Night.

I think Keith is a great guitarist and can come up with some awesome licks. I think most of the lyrics probably are Mick's, except maybe on the songs Keith sings, like Happy. This is all just my 2-cent unejumacated guessing. Got no proof of anything stated here. Just my gut!

• Like 2

I don't think Brian pushed much of anything other than himself. He came across to me then and now as a bit of a brat.

Good analysis though, Wil. You may be right.

Brian was a stoned out (no pun intended) dude but he was a brilliant musician. He played the sitar on Paint it Black, the recorder on Ruby Tuesday, the autoharp on Lady Jane, and he played slide on No Expectations, and was the lead guitarist on most songs until 1968. But as a songwriter he was nothing compared to Mick and Keith. I don't think the idea of writing even entered his mind.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Keith Richards is an all time great. As is Charlie Watts. Neither will ever get the acclaim from the technical musician crowd, but together with Bill Wyman, Mick Jagger and the assorted other musicians, they created magic for many years. Some of the greatest riffs in music came from Keith. And yes Brian Jones was the best musician in the band in the early years.
  • Like 4

I don't think Brian pushed much of anything other than himself. He came across to me then and now as a bit of a brat.

Brian was a stoned out (no pun intended) dude but he was a brilliant musician. He played the sitar on Paint it Black, the recorder on Ruby Tuesday, the autoharp on Lady Jane, and he played slide on No Expectations, and was the lead guitarist on most songs until 1968. But as a songwriter he was nothing compared to Mick and Keith. I don't think the idea of writing even entered his mind.

Yes, he was a brilliant musician but a bit of a dilettante. I read somewhere not too long ago that he really didn't do much of anything. I guess he thought that as the founder of the band he could sit back and relax. I remember reading too how Mick and Keith pushed him out. I guess they thought that if Brian wasn't going to do it, someone had to take charge of the band.

Wish I could remember where I read so much about him. I know it wasn't a book. Must've been somewhere on the internet.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I like a few Rolling Stones songs, Brown Sugar, Jumpin Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man. If they had a lot more songs like these then they'd be a good band.

They had a four-album run that was full of nothing but GREAT songs. And there have been many more great songs than that, over their career. (I'll concede they were almost all from, say, 1978 and earlier).

In my humble opinion.

Yes, he was a brilliant musician but a bit of a dilettante. I read somewhere not too long ago that he really didn't do much of anything. I guess he thought that as the founder of the band he could sit back and relax. I remember reading too how Mick and Keith pushed him out. I guess they thought that if Brian wasn't going to do it, someone had to take charge of the band.

Wish I could remember where I read so much about him. I know it wasn't a book. Must've been somewhere on the internet.

Brian was a strong member of the band until drugs ruined him. And not being a songwriter, that became a handicap as well. So those two factors played against him as far as Mick and Keith edging him out. Also, it didn't help that Keith stole Brian's girlfriend from him.

• Like 1

Brian was a strong member of the band until drugs ruined him. And not being a songwriter, that became a handicap as well. So those two factors played against him as far as Mick and Keith edging him out. Also, it didn't help that Keith stole Brian's girlfriend from him.

Oh yes, that's right. I forgot about Anita.

• Like 1

I like a few Rolling Stones songs, Brown Sugar, Jumpin Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man. If they had a lot more songs like these then they'd be a good band.

They had a four-album run that was full of nothing but GREAT songs. And there have been many more great songs than that, over their career. (I'll concede they were almost all from, say, 1978 and earlier).

In my humble opinion.

There's too many country tracks, and ballads and white R n B stuff for me.

Thanks, Custom.

I'm watching this video at present about a former estate in Colts Neck:

It was just built in 2001. Owner convicted less than ten years later. Place just burned to the ground in February.

EDIT: What is he on? His eyes are so glassy.

Edited by Lorraine

Thanks, Custom.

It was just built in 2001. Owner convicted less than ten years later. Place just burned to the ground in February.

What was he NOT on?

It really is amazing he is still alive between the drugs and his smoking cigarettes.

• Like 1

Thanks, Custom.

What was he NOT on?

It really is amazing he is still alive between the drugs and his smoking cigarettes.

I think after all the stuff he's done, his body has developed a special shield for itself that it exclusive to Keith only. It protects and helps to preserve him. Touring all these years has probably helped to keep him in decent shape and counteract the effects of all the substances. I'm guessing he probably has a solid diet and eats the right things to keep himself going as well.

• Like 1