2017-18 Football/Soccer thread

blackhawkrush

England and Belgium are tied on points and goals. If they draw against each other in the last group match, to decide who finishes first, they'll look at the number of yellow cards given to them so far. After that, it's time for a flip of a coin. I'd rather go by FIFA rankings, even though they're not very reliable. It still seems a better option than using a quarter.
  • Like 1

Colombia 3 Poland 0 :facepalm: Another embarrassing performance. Most of the teams in this tournament created more chances in one half of football than these a-holes in two matches. Nawalka is probably on his way to coach Legia Warsaw, because I don't see how he can survive at the helm of the national team after this debacle. Now I can see them beating Japan, with the pressure being completely off their backs.
  • Like 1

Watching Iran-Portugal here. It's all tied up and into penalty time!

Nope! Not in the first round. ;)

• Like 1

VAR a continued success as an off-side call against Spain is overturned to award a Spanish equalizer at 92:00! :)

The goal was still irregular. Spain played the corner on the wrong side of the pitch.

VAR a continued success as an off-side call against Spain is overturned to award a Spanish equalizer at 92:00! :)

The goal was still irregular. Spain played the corner on the wrong side of the pitch.

Weird.
  • Like 1

Weird.

Even weirder was the fact that Spain, in one minute, went from being knocked out of the tournament to winning the group. :wacko: I think some Spaniards are going to write love songs about VAR. :wub:
  • Like 2

What an outcome, with Sweden seemingly crushing Mexico's hopes, only to have the unlikely upset of Germany by Korea to help Mexico advance!!!

:dweez:

Sad for Greyfriar and my sister's family. :(

• Like 1

Germany has not been able to replenish their striking core. With Klose and Podolski retiring and no Goetze, there are no legitimate forwards on this team, apart from Muller. Gomez is a disaster, and the rest are not up to par. Therefore, I thought they would have a hard time scoring goals, but still able to win 1-0 games. Didn't happen that way. They're a shadow of the past champion.
  • Like 1

Germany :LOL:

I think they are really England in disguise.

With one important distinction.

s-l1600.jpg

Whoosh!!!!!!

Is that the air whistling through your ears?!?

Poland 1 Japan 0 :) Kurzawa's left foot should be bronzed. He's almost perfect taking those kind of free kicks. The last ten minutes reminded me of 1982 Germany-Austria game. Japan, knowing the score in the other match, didn't even try to attack, not wanting to risk giving up a second goal. I'm sure there'll be some fireworks in the England-Belgium fixture. Nobody wants to play Colombia, right?
  • Like 1