2017-18 Football/Soccer thread

blackhawkrush

This season has been so shit and deflating both on and off the pitch that I haven't been arsed about posting updates, but things have been a tad more positive of late with Hull finally pulling away from the relegation mire a little bit, huge game away at Birmingham who are in the relegation zone on Saturday. We've got a young lad on loan from Liverpool who plays in the same position as Grosicki and since he's come in during the January window, he's outshone him to an almost embarrassing extent, and I don't know what Poland's options are like for the World Cup but I'd be surprised if he's guaranteed to make the squad.
  • Like 1

This season has been so shit and deflating both on and off the pitch that I haven't been arsed about posting updates, but things have been a tad more positive of late with Hull finally pulling away from the relegation mire a little bit, huge game away at Birmingham who are in the relegation zone on Saturday. We've got a young lad on loan from Liverpool who plays in the same position as Grosicki and since he's come in during the January window, he's outshone him to an almost embarrassing extent, and I don't know what Poland's options are like for the World Cup but I'd be surprised if he's guaranteed to make the squad.

Not many options at all I'm afraid, Brucey. The manager is always looking for new blood, but Poland basically has maybe 15 good players and after that you just have to pray nobody gets injured. Glad to hear Hull is doing better. :ebert:

Legia 0 Wisla 2 :notworthy: Never seen this type of pressing applied by Wisla for the entire match, at least not at this level. Well deserved win. All of a sudden, we're in 4th place.

Poland 0 Nigeria 1 in a friendly match. We got a referee from hell. Not only the Nigerian went down by himself in the penalty box, to give the visitors the lead, but earlier on, Poland scored a goal, not given by the zebra, even though the ball was kicked out by a defender from behind the goal line. :facepalm: South Korea on Tuesday...
  • Like 1

Poland 3 South Korea 2 :) Lewandowski and Grosicki gave us a 2-0 lead at halftime and as usual, the Polish mindset was to preserve the score line. Needless to say, the Koreans were on the attack throughout the second half, finally scoring two goal in the last five minutes of the game. Zielinski's strike in stoppage time produced the winning goal.

Wisla 1 Lech 3 :( This complicates things for Krakow. We have to beat the last place team in order to qualify for the top eight. It shouldn't be a problem, right? :unsure:

http://deadline.com/2018/02/world-cup-2018-tv-schedule-fox-fox-sports-1-russia-1202296827/

"Despite not having the U.S. team in the mix this year — nor world powers Italy and the Netherlands, for that matter — Fox said it will air 38 games live on the broadcast network, more than the previous four World Cups combined and the most ever for an English-language network. In all, it will air more than 350 hours of programming."

I hope this holds true. My fear was that FOX would curtail the coverage due to the absence of the US and other key powerhouse teams. The link above has the full tv schedule, with the first game kicking off June 14. :drool:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-odds-2018-predictions-picks-qualifying-teams-to-target-from-proven-computer-model/

The SoccerBot has put out its odds for winning the 2018 World Cup. The SoccerBot is a soccer analysis program that has performed very well against the odds, up a reported 1800% against the bookmakers. :gasp:

No surprise that Germany and Brazil are favored. At 20/1, it might be worth putting a couple of bucks down on England, and home team Russia might be a good high-odds pick at 40/1.

Germany 4/1

Brazil 4/1

France 6/1

Spain 6/1

Argentina 7/1

Belgium 10/1

England 20/1

Portugal 20/1

Uruguay 25/1

Poland 30/1

Colombia 40/1

Russia 40/1

Croatia 40/1

Mexico 60/1

Denmark 80/1

Switzerland 100/1

Sweden 150/1

Senegal 150/1

Serbia 200/1

Egypt 200/1

Iceland 200/1

Peru 200/1

Nigeria 250/1

Costa Rica 250/1

Japan 300/1

Australia 500/1

Morocco 500/1

South Korea 500/1

Iran 1,000/1

Panama 1,000/1

Saudi Arabia 1,000/1

• Like 1

https://www.cbssport...computer-model/

The SoccerBot has put out its odds for winning the 2018 World Cup. The SoccerBot is a soccer analysis program that has performed very well against the odds, up a reported 1800% against the bookmakers. :gasp:

No surprise that Germany and Brazil are favored. At 20/1, it might be worth putting a couple of bucks down on England, and home team Russia might be a good high-odds pick at 40/1.

Germany 4/1

Brazil 4/1

France 6/1

Spain 6/1

Argentina 7/1

Belgium 10/1

England 20/1

Portugal 20/1

Uruguay 25/1

Poland 30/1

Colombia 40/1

Russia 40/1

Croatia 40/1

Mexico 60/1

Denmark 80/1

Switzerland 100/1

Sweden 150/1

Senegal 150/1

Serbia 200/1

Egypt 200/1

Iceland 200/1

Peru 200/1

Nigeria 250/1

Costa Rica 250/1

Japan 300/1

Australia 500/1

Morocco 500/1

South Korea 500/1

Iran 1,000/1

Panama 1,000/1

Saudi Arabia 1,000/1

Brazil being that high seems a stretch, since South American teams underperform in European WCs. France, without Koscielny, may also have problems. Poland in the top 10 makes me smile, but that may change into a grimace very soon. Croatia probably has a better shot at it than Russia, even though they're tied at 40-1. And I would place Morocco much higher than where they are.
  • Like 1

E:60 is presenting an interesting piece on Russian hooliganism, framed as a popular "fight club" movement. The message? Look for plenty of mass brawls at this year's World Cup venues, in the vein of the 2014 Marseilles debacle.

Some interesting results for a lot of the giants so far.

I was on the road camping all weekend, so I missed the games. Loojs like Spain-Portugal was a ripper, and I really wanted to see Germany-Mexico.

Who are you pulling for?

• Like 1

Some interesting results for a lot of the giants so far.

Blackhawhrush are you going to record Tuesday's match or watch it live?

I'm all set for the group stage. I have Tuesday off, I'll call in sick (cough, cough) on Sunday and I also have the following Thursday off. After that, it looks like it's either England or Belgium for my boys so... :scared: Anyway, I'm able to watch all the games, except the ones starting at 1 or 2pm, so I'm in good shape there. It has been a joy watching these games so far. Some incredible goals scored in this first week. Let's hope it continues...

Sweden-S Korea about to kick off play in perhaps the most group of the tourney, one that has become even more interesting with the Germany loss. The Italian giant-slayers of Sweden have finally found success by moving on from the Zlatan years.

Sweden showing some early physical play...SK countering with speed...

The early pressure favoring Korea, six minutes in.

Edited by goose

A layer of classic World Cup subterfuge in today's Sweden-Korea match...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/sports/world-cup/sweden-south-korea-score.amp.html

"the tension has been stirred up a bit in recent days after accusations that Sweden was spying on Korean practices. The Korean coach responded by claiming that he had his players wear different shirt numbers to confuse any possible snoops."

:LOL:

Edited by goose

Tremendous pressure from Sweden from minutes 17:00 through 21:00 results in the best scoring opportunity yet, a point-blank blast from Berg via a Larsen corner, miraculously saved by the Korean keeper. Edited by goose

Sweden somehow failing to score in the first 45:00+, despite controlling the play and producing several opportunities. The stuff that can haunt a team...