The Weapon Discussion Thread

Tick

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/46c3384f0358d210e423b9ab348770a0.jpg

Great song! Love Neil's drumming and love the dramatic opening of the song.

• Like 6

:madra:

In my opinion, next to Xanadu, it's the best thing Rush ever did.

I've improved a lot on my air drumming to the song. But I think you have to have that drummer's innate timing sense to be able to do it. :NP:

:wub:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I've improved a lot on my air drumming to the song. I think you have to have that drummer's innate timing sense to be able to do it. :NP:

I knew when I saw the title of this topic that you'd be posting!
  • Like 2

Next to Vital Signs, The Weapon is the one Rush song that I have really come around to appreciate and enjoy .. Love the way is takes its time leading up to Alex's solo ....

It could have been 10+ minutes long

• Like 2

I love the way that the vocals line up with the instrumentation, and the lyrics are great, too! The intro is awesome, and it really does a lot to adding to my love for the FEAR series. Second best song on the album (Subdivisions first). Great song!
  • Like 2

Killer song. I saw them doing it live in 1983 and I was afraid that the roof of the gym would collapse.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/SFS%20Back_zpsf4m4cius.jpg

• Like 1

Killer song. I saw them doing it live in 1983 and I was afraid that the roof of the gym would collapse.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/SFS%20Back_zpsf4m4cius.jpg

I wish there were some soundboards from this tour. Their best selection of music IMO.

• Like 2

I've improved a lot on my air drumming to the song. But I think you have to have that drummer's innate timing sense to be able to do it. :NP:

"The Weapon" is challenging to play but so much fun!!!!

• Like 1

This is a song that I have learned to appreciate over the years, especially since so much crap came after it.

I wish there were some soundboards from this tour. Their best selection of music IMO.

So true man. The tour was badass. I've never heard a live sound like that again! I'm glad that this recording has made its way to my possession. Even if it's incomplete (Intro/Spirit and Camera Eye are missing), and it hasn't the best sound, it's still a great reminder of what happened on that remarkable night.

• Like 2

So true man. The tour was badass. I've never heard a live sound like that again! I'm glad that this recording has made its way to my possession. Even if it's incomplete (Intro/Spirit and Camera Eye are missing), and it hasn't the best sound, it's still a great reminder of what happened on that remarkable night.

And Nazareth opened! Nothing like hearing "Love Hurts" to get the crowd into a rocking mood!

On somebody else's computer and just fancied a blast of The Weapon after checking out this thread so hit youtube and noticed an interesting quote from Neil under the video:

Neil Peart on the Fear trilogy (circa 1994)

"The idea for the trilogy was suggested by an older man telling that he didn't think life was ruled by love, or reason, or money, or the pursuit of happiness -- but by fear. This smart-but cynical guy's position was that most people's actions are motivated by fear of being hungry, fear of being hurt, fear of being alone, fear of being robbed, etc., and that people don't make choices based on hope that something good will happen, but in fear that something bad will happen.

I reacted to this the way all of us tend to react to generalities: "Well, I'm not like that!" But then I started thinking about it more, watching the way people around me behaved, and I soon realised that there was something to this viewpoint, So I sketched out the three "theaters of fear," as I saw them: how fear works inside us ("The Enemy Within"), how fear is used against us ("The Weapon"), and how fear feeds the mob mentality ("Witch Hunt").

As it happened, the last theme was easiest to deal with, so it was written first, and consequently appeared first on record, and the other two followed in reverse order for the same reason"

I know some if not most will already be familiar with this but i wasn't so sticking it up there for anyone likewise.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 4