Which Format Do You Prefer?

Steve Smith

I used to love LPs over CDs but that has kind of changed over the years. Now I mostly listen to MP3s in my car.

Dont you miss the high quality and the real feelings that high quality music gives? I could never stand listening to just mp3...

Ofcourse, thats what my dad do as well now. He used to be like me, cared a lot of quality music, and he took time listening.

Now he only listening to mp3s in the car...

Makes me so sad! Im trying to make him come back to the high quality music world. But Im about to lose hope for him...

Generally yes, but I sold most of my stereo equipment when I moved and I just haven't bought anything new. I also listen to music quite a bit off of the computer which are high-quality files. I listened to records for a heck of a lot of years and I know even though MP3s aren't as good quality I still get enjoyment out of listening to them. In this instance, convenience wins out.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

For aesthetics, the LP is king, for sure. Nothing like listening to an album beginning to end while holding the cover and reading the liner.

For convenience, MP3 is incredible. It's so easy to take music with you today. And the free access (via YouTube, etc.) to virtually every song or performance ever recorded - on demand - is an enthusiast's dream.

Edited by goose
  • Like 5

My main format is vinyl records, since I collect them. But I play CDs when Im feeling lazy, or only play background music while doing other stuff.

When I am on the run, I play flac files from my phone, NEVER mp3.

And this is my system:

A Dual 505-1 turntable

Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifiers

Mission Electronics Model 70 MK II speakers

Sony DVP-NS955V DVD player. I use this as my CD player.

Sounds like you have a brilliant rig there dude! :drool: :drool:

That Yamaha DSP was brilliant and sought after, it has such a clean and natural sound. And Sony are regarded as the best CD/DVD players

Yeah, I got a really nice sound. Its perfect to be honest. The only thing that I feel I want to change is my cartridge on the turntable, but do not really afford that right now.

I got everything from my dad, except for the turntable, when I moved to my own place. He had got upgrades, but he kept these for me. He used to work in a hifi store in the 80s, so he got a lot of good deals!

The turntable, I bought from a guy on the street a bit more then 2 years ago. And it still works great! I will change the cartridge as soon as I afford it tho!

The Stylus is the most import bit of the whole setup, it is the connection between the vinyl and the rest of the system.

Put it this way, you can have the best amplifier and turntable and speakers in the world but if the cartridge is crap then the sound will be poor as well.

Go for an elliptical stylus, they are more expensive but gives much better quality and tracking than the standard round ones XXXX

KR's dude

I have no preferred format. I use formats based on the situation I'm in. I own vinyl, CDs, digital (mp3s/aac/FLAC/etc.) DVD/BluRay Audio...and believe it or not, even cassettes.

If I have a lot of time on my hands and/or I'm in the mood then I'll listen to vinyl. Sometimes, I'd like to listen to music on theater speakers through my PS3 which can play DVD/BluRay audio discs or digital. If I'm out and about somewhere away from the house, then I got the mp3 on my iPhone. During evening and late night hours though, I primarily listen to music on my laptop or CD player w/good Sony studio headphones.

If it comes with a download code for a digital copy of the album or if I know I'll really enjoy the album then for the most part I get the vinyl. Otherwise, I go w/CD if there ain't a digital DL w/the vinyl. There was a point in my life where I was a purist with this kind of thing, but the more newer, esoteric and/or "underground" the music I've gradually got more drawn into, the more I came to the realization that in order for me to listen to it, I'd have to get them in whatever way I can...even if it means I'd have to search for a digital rip off the internet or find it on YouTube. This leads to my point on why I have a few cassettes. Every once in a blue moon, an "underground" act I follow (usually an industrial/noise act) will release something only available cassette (sometimes it comes w/a digital copy, sometimes not).

• Like 1

The cd for it's convenience. If I want to take more time, I'll go with vinyl. MP3s are relegated to the car where lower fidelity isn't an issue.

And it is not very practical to have a turntable and amp in the car!!

Ha ha

Sez who? http://static.messynessychic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/chryslerphono.jpg

• Like 5

My main format is vinyl records, since I collect them. But I play CDs when Im feeling lazy, or only play background music while doing other stuff.

And this is my system:

A Dual 505-1 turntable

Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifiers

That Yamaha DSP was brilliant and sought after, it has such a clean and natural sound. And Sony are regarded as the best CD/DVD players

Yeah, I got a really nice sound. Its perfect to be honest. The only thing that I feel I want to change is my cartridge on the turntable, but do not really afford that right now.

I got everything from my dad, except for the turntable, when I moved to my own place. He had got upgrades, but he kept these for me. He used to work in a hifi store in the 80s, so he got a lot of good deals!

The turntable, I bought from a guy on the street a bit more then 2 years ago. And it still works great! I will change the cartridge as soon as I afford it tho!

The Stylus is the most import bit of the whole setup, it is the connection between the vinyl and the rest of the system.

Put it this way, you can have the best amplifier and turntable and speakers in the world but if the cartridge is crap then the sound will be poor as well.

Go for an elliptical stylus, they are more expensive but gives much better quality and tracking than the standard round ones XXXX

KR's dude

And this is my system:

A Dual 505-1 turntable

Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifiers

KR's dude

Dont get me wrong. Its not really a bad stylus, Im just tired of it and want a upgrade! And I already know which one I want, Im just saving money for it. It cost a lot!

Edited by YYZumbi

I used to love LPs over CDs but that has kind of changed over the years. Now I mostly listen to MP3s in my car.

Dont you miss the high quality and the real feelings that high quality music gives? I could never stand listening to just mp3...

Ofcourse, thats what my dad do as well now. He used to be like me, cared a lot of quality music, and he took time listening.

Makes me so sad! Im trying to make him come back to the high quality music world. But Im about to lose hope for him...

Generally yes, but I sold most of my stereo equipment when I moved and I just haven't bought anything new. I also listen to music quite a bit off of the computer which are high-quality files. I listened to records for a heck of a lot of years and I know even though MP3s aren't as good quality I still get enjoyment out of listening to them. In this instance, convenience wins out.

Why did you sell it just because you moved? Could you not take it with you?

And if you listen to high quality files on your computer, do you use good headphones then, or do you listen only from the computers speakers? Because if its bad speakers, then it does not really matter if it is flac or mp3.

Edited by YYZumbi

The cd for it's convenience. If I want to take more time, I'll go with vinyl. MP3s are relegated to the car where lower fidelity isn't an issue.

Ha ha

Sez who? http://static.messynessychic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/chryslerphono.jpg

I have been reading about the car-turntable. And it worked really bad, so they gave up about it.

I prefer high quality sound whenever possible but I am not obsessive about it. I primarily buy CD's and rip to at least 320mbps or FLAC. I have a decent hifi system and a modest LP collection. I have I have no clue how many hundreds of CD's I have but only about 30-40 vinyls so far. I love to listen to them but to be honest CD's are easier and less costly. I have also bought HD downloads which I listen to from my computer. Oh and for Zumbi, yes I have an external DAC (Fiio E17) to use with my computer and I use headphones (Sennheiser HD700's or occasionally I will switch back to my HD650's). Edited by catherine

I'll still buy cd's but they get ripped right to my computer and stored away. And i'll buy MP3'S and rip em for car rides.

actually MP3's are taking over for me for the simple fact......they save space for the house.

Hiss at me if you must but for myself.....MP3'S have become more practical.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

I prefer the Catherine format. :sundog:

:P :LOL:

• Like 1

Why did you sell it just because you moved? Could you not take it with you?

And if you listen to high quality files on your computer, do you use good headphones then, or do you listen only from the computers speakers? Because if its bad speakers, then it does not really matter if it is flac or mp3.

Headphones. And yes I moved cross country, over 2000 miles. Too expensive to move stuff I could replace.

Least favorite format.

Songs in different order from the LP

Longer songs interrupted by a fade-out while the tape switched to another track to complete the song.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/il_570xN.770321556_os8c_zpsqzglrjxu.jpg

• Like 2

Ha ha

That is about the coolest thing I have ever seen!! ha ha, But how did they stop the mechanism bouncing around when the car when over bumps???!!!!

I am going to Google to see if I can get one of these

Nice one dude :D :D :D :D

• Like 2

Ha ha

Well Rodney Dangerfield's Golf bag stereo in "Caddyshack" comes pretty close!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Lets dance!!!!!

ANYWAY YOU WANT IT THATS THE WAY YOU NEED IT!!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I prefer high quality sound whenever possible but I am not obsessive about it. I primarily buy CD's and rip to at least 320mbps or FLAC. I have a decent hifi system and a modest LP collection. I have I have no clue how many hundreds of CD's I have but only about 30-40 vinyls so far. I love to listen to them but to be honest CD's are easier and less costly. I have also bought HD downloads which I listen to from my computer. Oh and for Zumbi, yes I have an external DAC (Fiio E17) to use with my computer and I use headphones (Sennheiser HD700's or occasionally I will switch back to my HD650's).

Sounds like a sweet set-up, especially those HD700's. I actually like those better than the HD800's but I haven't heard the 800S version.

• Like 1

I just wish to say this please

About 20 years ago I had a friend who worked in a Hi Fi shop and he was a real enthusiast.

He had a system which sounded amazing. It was just 2 speakers by an English bespoke company called Ruark. He had an amplifier and a turntable that cost £2000 (for the turntable!) The arm was £400 in itself and the turntable had a granite base

The amplifier only had one knob on it - volume. It was £3000

I asked Chris "Where is your EQ"

He told me that the amplifier was so perfect that it did not need any EQ. The EQ in his words is only an instrument to mask the failings of a sub standard amp

To this day I have never heard a system that comes close to that sound

Steve, what type of room was this in ?? ... was it specially set up for acoustics ??

No not really, it was a normal room with a smallish window.

Oh as you say it, I remember Chris had top of the range studio Senheiser headphones which he had paid £600 for at a time when we were all buying decent ones for 40 quid.

The quality of the sound came from the highest quality tone arm. Chris told me that generally if you get an decent elliptical stylus then there is not much difference as the diamond is cut to a high standard. He said that the granite base of the turntable made it so stable and direct. His leads from the turntable to the amp and to the speakers were £60 each!!!

They had a thicker and more highly prescisioned copper wire, better iron lattice and a higher quality rubber covering.

His amplifier had 5 pin DIN sockets rather than the normal leads and the speakers had upgraded capacitors in the internal crossovers. All I know is that it sounded just awsome

People woefully exaggerate the greatness of vinyl.
  • Like 1

People woefully exaggerate the greatness of vinyl.

Well not really Segue it is just that a lot of people here are old farts like me who have nostalgia for their youth!!!

We are not all young like you young man!! :drool: :drool:

One day when you are my age you will feel the same. "Oh I remember when we had digital downloads and MP3's in the good old days, these kids now with their new fangled things know nothing"

Ha ha :drool: :drool: