Which Format Do You Prefer?

Steve Smith

Sorry guys I am extremely bored and lonely so I thought to start this thread which I really hope is relevant in some sort of way.

You see I am not lording it or being smug in any way, but I kept all of my vinyl and 2 turntables when everyone else threw them in the bin or gave them away in the late 80's.

Do you prefer vinyl or CD or MP3?

I prefer vinyl because it is so much more "tactile" even though it has its faults and limitations. I just love that "scratchy" kerchk kerchk little sound when the stylus goes on

Anyone agree?

Steve

There is no competing with the LP as far as the artwork and the experience .. But as stuck in the past as I am, I have to say that the high quality CDs ( SHM, High Fidelity Gold, BluSpec ) are what I like best ...

Perhaps I should fire up my old turntable, but at this point, I wouldn't be able to deal with the scratchy shit and the skips ..

To this day, when I listen to it on CD, I still expect that skip that my Van Halen record had during On Fire ... and during the intro to Calling Doctor Love

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Use all three differently. All have value to me. Vinyl and CD collection is a real hobby though.

Maxell MX-S 90 :codger: :hail:

Cool !!!! Chrome Tapes were the dogs, but the problem with cassette tapes was they got corrupted and demagnetised and "went off".

And another thing, Betamax was a much much superior format that VHS. The BBC used Beta up to the early 80's

• Like 1

Cool !!!! Chrome Tapes were the dogs, but the problem with cassette tapes was they got corrupted and demagnetised and "went off".

And another thing, Betamax was a much much superior format that VHS. The BBC used Beta up to the early 80's

Those weren't chrome, they were Cobalt Metal. :haz:

• Like 2

Those weren't chrome, they were Cobalt Metal. :haz:

Yeh Metal tapes were like the top of the range and were only any good with top of the range Hi-Fi

The problem is in essence that the companies keep inventing new formats to sell goods instead of trying to perfect the one that has gone before.

If you look at any good amplifier from the 70's it is much better quality than the shitty crap that is churned out now

• Like 1

In my recording studio I still have an Alesis A-Dat digital 8 Track recorder which uses Super VHS tapes

I remember when my parents went out one night on their own to buy a new VHS machine ... This was around 1988-89, and they came back with the NEC DS8000U S VHS machine ... It was a monster ( I actually still have it ) ... You could record one channel while watching another, and the freeze frame and slo-mo were perfect - which came in handy when trying to learn guitar parts off of videos ..

• Like 2

In my recording studio I still have an Alesis A-Dat digital 8 Track recorder which uses Super VHS tapes

I remember when my parents went out one night on their own to buy a new VHS machine ... This was around 1988-89, and they came back with the NEC DS8000U S VHS machine ... It was a monster ( I actually still have it ) ... You could record one channel while watching another, and the freeze frame and slo-mo were perfect - which came in handy when trying to learn guitar parts off of videos ..

Was it a toploader??

The point I am trying to make is that electronic goods were so much better made in the 70's than the garbage we buy now

Top loading was a much better system mechanically it gave the tape a much more precise loading in the machine. But "front loading" took over to cater for the aesthetics of peoples TV rack system

Was it a toploader??

No, a frontloader ... I think by that time, all of 'em were, right ??

Our first VHS machine was a toploader .. it was a Fisher .....

YesSongs and Zombie were the first tapes we bought ... then, The Thing

I just wish to say this please

About 20 years ago I had a friend who worked in a Hi Fi shop and he was a real enthusiast.

He had a system which sounded amazing. It was just 2 speakers by an English bespoke company called Ruark. He had an amplifier and a turntable that cost £2000 (for the turntable!) The arm was £400 in itself and the turntable had a granite base

The amplifier only had one knob on it - volume. It was £3000

I asked Chris "Where is your EQ"

He told me that the amplifier was so perfect that it did not need any EQ. The EQ in his words is only an instrument to mask the failings of a sub standard amp

To this day I have never heard a system that comes close to that sound

I just wish to say this please

About 20 years ago I had a friend who worked in a Hi Fi shop and he was a real enthusiast.

He had a system which sounded amazing. It was just 2 speakers by an English bespoke company called Ruark. He had an amplifier and a turntable that cost £2000 (for the turntable!) The arm was £400 in itself and the turntable had a granite base

The amplifier only had one knob on it - volume. It was £3000

I asked Chris "Where is your EQ"

He told me that the amplifier was so perfect that it did not need any EQ. The EQ in his words is only an instrument to mask the failings of a sub standard amp

To this day I have never heard a system that comes close to that sound

Steve, what type of room was this in ?? ... was it specially set up for acoustics ??

• Like 1

My main format is vinyl records, since I collect them. But I play CDs when Im feeling lazy, or only play background music while doing other stuff.

When I am on the run, I play flac files from my phone, NEVER mp3.

And this is my system:

A Dual 505-1 turntable

Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifiers

Mission Electronics Model 70 MK II speakers

Sony DVP-NS955V DVD player. I use this as my CD player.

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 1

My main format is vinyl records, since I collect them. But I play CDs when Im feeling lazy, or only play background music while doing other stuff.

And this is my system:

A Dual 505-1 turntable

Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifiers

Sounds like you have a brilliant rig there dude! :drool: :drool:

That Yamaha DSP was brilliant and sought after, it has such a clean and natural sound. And Sony are regarded as the best CD/DVD players

I used to love LPs over CDs but that has kind of changed over the years. Now I mostly listen to MP3s in my car.
  • Like 1

And this is my system:

A Dual 505-1 turntable

Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifiers

Sounds like you have a brilliant rig there dude! :drool: :drool:

That Yamaha DSP was brilliant and sought after, it has such a clean and natural sound. And Sony are regarded as the best CD/DVD players

Yeah, I got a really nice sound. Its perfect to be honest. The only thing that I feel I want to change is my cartridge on the turntable, but do not really afford that right now.

I got everything from my dad, except for the turntable, when I moved to my own place. He had got upgrades, but he kept these for me. He used to work in a hifi store in the 80s, so he got a lot of good deals!

The turntable, I bought from a guy on the street a bit more then 2 years ago. And it still works great! I will change the cartridge as soon as I afford it tho!

• Like 1

I used to love LPs over CDs but that has kind of changed over the years. Now I mostly listen to MP3s in my car.

Dont you miss the high quality and the real feelings that high quality music gives? I could never stand listening to just mp3...

Ofcourse, thats what my dad do as well now. He used to be like me, cared a lot of quality music, and he took time listening.

Now he only listening to mp3s in the car...

Makes me so sad! Im trying to make him come back to the high quality music world. But Im about to lose hope for him...

• Like 1