Let's stick up for Neil please?

Steve Smith

I think some of you are over-generalising from some brief views into Neil's life. He does sound like he's pontificating sometimes but I would think if somebody told him that, he'd be surprised. Nobody forced anybody to read his books where he's free to express whatever the damn well he wants. If you don't like his tone, don't read them. When you're locked inside a motorcycle helmet and have thoughts you'd like to capture, you're probably not overly concerned about what a potential reader would read between the lines. For all we know, he was running to his bike because he was late, not because he was running away from contact. I've noticed he does very well in one on one encounters when he knows who he's talking to but not in groups of strangers. I'm just like that. I used to speak to groups of 200+ and was told I did it well. But I would rather run away when a few strangers wanted to speak to me afterwards. And if the other two all get along with him and did for 40 years, who are we to judge?

Have you read his books? He states pretty clearly that he will run away from contact. If you sit next to him at a diner and don't know who he is and strike up a conversation about his motorcycle he'll talk to you. If you sit next to him and thank him for his music hell sick mosbach on you. It's his choice to be that way but we can still be critical of it. I would love for one of the authors of books he likes to give him the brush off when he contacts them just so he could understand.

• Like 1

Neil, while in Mexico .. From "Ghost Rider"

After a longish march through the pretty little town of Loreto to the post office, I walked back along the malecón to watch the boys fishing off the pier. They were pulling them in as fast as they could. One rangy-looking young man came over to my perch on a big rock and tried to engage me in conversation. He said he was from Sinola, the state directly across The Sea Of Cortez from Baja California, and when I told him I was from Toronto, he nodded sagely and said "Blue Yays", which stumped me for a moment until I realized he must be a baseball fan .... I ignored him as much as I could, watching the fish and the birds, but he persisted, telling me in a confiding way, "I'm too shy"

This, from the man who wrote "Territories"

• Like 1

He's shy too! I married a man who was the then reigning expert on internet security and who was interviewed in national newspapers when the topic came up. But he was too shy to go up to a counter in a deli and order a sandwich. He pushed me with my not too fluent Australian to go up and speak to strangers. He wasn't standoffish or aloof, just shy (confirmed by his mother). I would imagine Neil responded just as my husband would.

I can relate to the "stranger not being the lng awaited friend when I got a knot of eager folks wanting to talk to me after I had just spoken half a day to 200 people and they wanted to tell me they heard me speak at X event, as if I would remember them out of the audience. And I have a crap memories for names and faces.

Edited by IwillchooseFreeWill

He's shy too! I married a man who was the then reigning expert on internet security and who was interviewed in national newspapers when the topic came up. But he was too shy to go up to a counter in a deli and order a sandwich. He pushed me with my not too fluent Australian to go up and speak to strangers. He wasn't standoffish or aloof, just shy (confirmed by his mother). I would imagine Neil responded just as my husband would.

I can relate to the "stranger not being the lng awaited friend when I got a knot of eager folks wanting to talk to me after I had just spoken half a day to 200 people and they wanted to tell me they heard me speak at X event, as if I would remember them out of the audience. And I have a crap memories for names and faces.

I have had my impression of Neil shattered since coming on here. I will accept what people say that know a lot more than me but since I have never read his books or met the guy then I prefer to reserve judgement.

I have always hated Piers Morgan but my father once said to me "never judge a man until you have walked 1000 miles in his shoes"

So I went to a charity auction and bought a pair of Piers' loafers then walked from John O'Groats to Lands End and back.

And yes I can confirm that he is an absolute c***

• Like 5

Neil will always be at the top of my drumming Mount Everest.

However, despite me having been a fan for 25 years, owning pretty much all their material, and travelling from Australia to USA twice to see them live...if given the chance Neil Peart wouldn't give me the time of day.

He's not obliged to. But IMO it says a lot about his character.

Sad to read, but afraid this is true. Not all "fans" want to kill you Neil.. Some of them just want to say "thank you" its a Shame that you can't understand this

• Like 1

.. That's the paradox! I guess Geddy would be the same if you started talking about baseball. Crazy that Neil likes his fame if it would get him off a speeding ticket, but ask for his autograph and show appreciation for his inspiration, then you're a freak..

No™.

Why? Please tell me? :eyeroll:

I don't care if he wants to drink, not play the drums, or whatever, but I do care that he has such disdain for people in general and fans specifically. The very people that allowed him to pursue his livelihood and make a lot of money doing it, are the ones he seems to talk the worst about.

Neil once said,"extroverts will never understand introverts" and based on my personal experience it's the most truthful thing he's ever said.

Neil can't become that person any more than you can teach your dog to sing Red Barchetta.

I've pointed this out on here so many times when these threads come up because i have the same personality in that respect and it's baffling to me that people just can't grasp this.

If you walk up on a bird and it flies away it's real easy to assume the bird is a dick and hates you but that opinion is of no consequence to the bird and has no basis in reality. . Silly analogy I know but you get the idea. ..hopefully :P

:goodone:

Thanks Goose

Perhaps this guy has had a skinfull and had a bad day, I have been there

Had a skinful last weekend ha! No jk..

I think I'm so eager to jump in and defend Neil because I've dealt with the same type of misunderstandings all my life. I don't mean from my fans (haha ya right!), but people. trying to figure out how to connect with people while being labeled "antisocial".

"People are social creatures", says the extrovert to the other agreeing extroverts while the introvert in the room quietly thinks to himself..

Anyway, didn't mean to rant there lol

Oh and Steve.. Sabian but I've been without a kit now for over a year :(

Thank you so much dude, I knew you are a top guy who is just a bit pissed off right now

No worries

I'm going to listen to Focus now and perhaps a bit of The Dan and Weather Report

Thijs has got Pierre Van Der Linden back on the kit. It would be wonderful if they could get Jan back.

Here's hoping xxxxx

Dude no, wasn't pissed off in the least! I guess I just have a lot to say about certain things lol

• Like 1

No™.

I don't care if he wants to drink, not play the drums, or whatever, but I do care that he has such disdain for people in general and fans specifically. The very people that allowed him to pursue his livelihood and make a lot of money doing it, are the ones he seems to talk the worst about.

Neil once said,"extroverts will never understand introverts" and based on my personal experience it's the most truthful thing he's ever said.

Neil can't become that person any more than you can teach your dog to sing Red Barchetta.

I've pointed this out on here so many times when these threads come up because i have the same personality in that respect and it's baffling to me that people just can't grasp this.

If you walk up on a bird and it flies away it's real easy to assume the bird is a dick and hates you but that opinion is of no consequence to the bird and has no basis in reality. . Silly analogy I know but you get the idea. ..hopefully :P

How much of an introvert can a person be when they play in front of thousands of people multiple nights a year or appear in concert films and documentaries? If you want to talk about that, maybe look up Andy Partridge.

Not to mention long drum solos and stick tossing and twirling!

Performing is not socializing. I'm an extreme introvert and spent 30 years as a dynamic classroom teacher and public speaker.

Introvert's can develop a professional persona that belies their discomfort with socializing.

Fascinating and well put.

No™.

:goodone:

Thanks Goose

Perhaps this guy has had a skinfull and had a bad day, I have been there

Had a skinful last weekend ha! No jk..

I think I'm so eager to jump in and defend Neil because I've dealt with the same type of misunderstandings all my life. I don't mean from my fans (haha ya right!), but people. trying to figure out how to connect with people while being labeled "antisocial".

"People are social creatures", says the extrovert to the other agreeing extroverts while the introvert in the room quietly thinks to himself..

Anyway, didn't mean to rant there lol

Oh and Steve.. Sabian but I've been without a kit now for over a year :(

Thank you so much dude, I knew you are a top guy who is just a bit pissed off right now

No worries

I'm going to listen to Focus now and perhaps a bit of The Dan and Weather Report

Thijs has got Pierre Van Der Linden back on the kit. It would be wonderful if they could get Jan back.

Here's hoping xxxxx

Dude no, wasn't pissed off in the least! I guess I just have a lot to say about certain things lol

Thanks!!!

No worries

We all have strong opinions, that is the way things should be!!!

Take care dude

KR's

Smitty

Here is something nice to chill to xxxx :) :) :)

• Like 1

After a longish march through the pretty little town of Loreto to the post office, I walked back along the malecón to watch the boys fishing off the pier. They were pulling them in as fast as they could. One rangy-looking young man came over to my perch on a big rock and tried to engage me in conversation. He said he was from Sinola, the state directly across The Sea Of Cortez from Baja California, and when I told him I was from Toronto, he nodded sagely and said "Blue Yays", which stumped me for a moment until I realized he must be a baseball fan .... I ignored him as much as I could, watching the fish and the birds, but he persisted, telling me in a confiding way, "I'm too shy"

I don't think I'd be able to laugh and play like I did when I was a child after my whole family died either. ;)

• Like 3

I don't think I'd be able to laugh and play like I did when I was a child after my whole family died either. ;)

Man I am sorry, this better not be a wind up

Well exactly. You have to take his comments in context.

• Like 1

I don’t begrudge Neil for wanting to create a distance between himself and his work. Most of us can appreciate the desire to get away from our jobs, even if we love what we do for a living.

I live in a small city and work for the local daily newspaper. If I’m out to dinner with my wife, out skiing with my kids or even just grocery shopping, the last thing I want is for someone to come up and engage me in conversation about something they read in the paper.

I would never just glare at them in stony silence or be rude, but we all deal with these situations differently.

To me, it’s enlightening to know Neil is averse to interacting with fans.

I’m OK with that.

I’ve shown my love and appreciation for Neil’s work by buying all of Rush’s records.

If we ever meet in person, I don’t need him to acknowledge or reciprocate that love.

• Like 3

I have always hated Piers Morgan but my father once said to me "never judge a man until you have walked 1000 miles in his shoes"

So I went to a charity auction and bought a pair of Piers' loafers then walked from John O'Groats to Lands End and back.

And yes I can confirm that he is an absolute c***

:LOL:
  • Like 1

Oh no...ear worm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjzcT1QKYs

• Like 2

That interview with the guys round about Permanent Waves, the one where Alex ends up wearing the mask -all I need to know about Neil as a person, just a really nice guy, super cool bright as hell and the mouthpiece of Rush.

I wont have anythin said about the guy i love him like he's part of my family

That interview with the guys round about Permanent Waves, the one where Alex ends up wearing the mask -all I need to know about Neil as a person, just a really nice guy, super cool bright as hell and the mouthpiece of Rush.

I bet he'd love to hear you tell him that...

That's how it started.

It's true... performing is not socializing.

I'm mostly extrovert but I have my introverted phases.

When that happens, I can get myself out to perform with no problem, but afterwards, I'll just pack up and go home.

Performing is work. After a person gets done with work, sometimes they want solitude.

I know this has nothing to do with Neil's behavior/actions when he's not doing a gig. But if he's that shy, I can dig. Sure, I'd love an opportunity to say thanks to him, but he owes me nothing.

• Like 2

:facepalm:

• Like 2

I think maybe syntax got in the way there. :LOL: Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I think maybe syntax got in the way there. :LOL:

Or reading comprehension........